• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Just got done doing my first shaft pulls.

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
Everything went fairly well just torched the necks for about 30sec and pulled them off only problem was sometimes a chunk of epoxy would get stuck down in the neck. I used a small piece of kitchen pad and a drill to get the epoxy out while it was still warm. Then I would dip the pad in acetone and do the same thing. Then pick at the remaining epoxy and Q-tip the rest out. It took a lot longer than I thought but I wanted to make sure I get them perfect my shafts won’t be here until Thursday anyway. I do have a problem, I bought a pipe cutter on the advice of the guy at the hardware store and its crap all it did was bend one of my old shafts when I tried it out. My next option is to borrow my friends DeWalt grinder and get a cutting wheel for it. Its only 4$ and my plan is to use my vice as a guide and make sure I don’t cut it short and then just use the grinder blade to finish it off to length. Do you think the DeWalt is a good idea?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have used a dremel tool in the past to cut and finish shafts, a grinder with the right attachments should work just fine.

RickinMA

Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2007
It took a lot longer than I thought

- everything I touch

pipe cutter on the advice of the guy at the hardware store and its crap all it did was bend one of my old shafts when I tried it out.

I'm surprised to see this - perhaps you just applied too much pressure? maybe the lightweight shafts don't hold up to this as well as std weight shafts? at least it wasn't the new shafts

the grinder will work - just make sure you measure everything at least twice

TheWOAT

Sep 26, 2006
I used a hacksaw for graphite and pipecutter for steel in my limited experiences. The hacksaw worked well, just be sure to cut on all sides. THe pipe cutter took awhile and required alot of effort. Usually Ihad to apply pressure, then turn the shaft 5-10 times, apply a little more, turn 5-10 times. Each cut took about 5 minutes. Either way, those things and a file is all I needed to get the job done.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
Until I got my little cutoff saw (which goes through either graphite or steel like butter and makes perfectly straight cuts) I used a "grit blade" in my hacksaw. I did about 6 putter shafts, several steel wedge shafts and a graphite driver shaft with it. It only cost about $5 and works well for occasional use. I got it at Golfsmith or The Golfworks but I'm pretty sure a good hardware store or home improvement center would carry them too.

Wildbore

Oct 24, 2005
With pipe cutters, its hard to get good results with your first try. I know because I did the same thing, bent the shaft. So I just used a hand held rotary saw like thing to cut, much easier and funner.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
As said above, get a grit blade for your hacksaw. What is it, $5-10 at Wal-Mart or Home Depot?

Simple and easy.

OP
gunning4u

gunning4u

Dec 31, 2006
I have one more question should I sand the shafts a little higher then the housel line so I can get a little better bond between the shaft, housel and ferrule.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I have one more question should I sand the shafts a little higher then the housel line so I can get a little better bond between the shaft, housel and ferrule.

Sure, it won't hurt. 1/8" is fine.

What shafts did you pull? Model, flex, ect....

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I cut my putter shaft on my table saw.

I would not recommend doing it this way... EVER!

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Uhm, huh?

Did the hacksaw seem "too taxing?":laugh:

Jeesuz H, C, that's insane.

R35

That hacksaw would not cut it even with a new blade... it could have been the type of blade. I had originally cut a PING using a circ saw and that was an adventure with lots o sparks so I tried the table saw for the next one.... let's just say about 2 inches of steel got lodged in the back wall of my shop... very stupid idea. Next time I will ask first and get the correct hack saw blade, or get a bit for my router and cut it that way.

Members online

No members online now.