• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Just sickening

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I went to the tougher course up the road from my house. It's only a 129slope but it usually, certainly did today, kicks the crap out of me. I had racked up 20 strokes through the first 3 par 4's and couldn't get off the teebox at all. My irons weren't too bad, wedges were decent. Putter was alright once I got my speed and made some better reads. The driver is killing me, bad. I played with a guy in his mid forties, he outdrove me on every hole... by a lot. How is it that I've got about 3 clubs on him when hitting irons yet I can't put a drive past 240? I think it's time to hang up the driver again for a while. Ever had a round that made you wonder if you ever want to play again?

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
Yeah, the second round out this year! I got around the first one on an easy course in mid 90s, so thought "3 years away from golf and I am going to get it back quick!"... Then came the second and third rounds this summer. 105 at a fairly tough course, 115 at an easier one! D'OH!!!!!

Several problems for me - those rounds were played with borrowed driver with totally wrong specs, putted like crap, got tired carrying 18 with no practice hoofing it, and got WAY too hot and too little water (I'm sure that there are other excuses, just let me think a sec)...

Last two rounds were much better. New putter working well, hitting irons more crisply after several hundred balls at range, just need to get the driver working consistently (like most of us) and then I should break into the 80s... That is what winter work is for I guess...

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
You have to be carefull of those older guys! LOL, when my dad was 50 he was cranking out 280 drives on a daily basis and he was only 5'4" 140lbs. My uncle said that he only hits them that far when he played me cause I hit my driver 300+ (Im 5'11" 190lbs, I was taller than my dad when I was 13). I am 35 now and do not see any loss in yardage in the next 5 years.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I went to the tougher course up the road from my house. It's only a 129slope but it usually, certainly did today, kicks the crap out of me.
There are only a couple courses I play up here that play less than a 130 slope off of the whites. When I do it is usually a confidence booster. The only that I play frequently in the 120's, I usually shoot in the mid to high 80's maybe 1/2 the time which is pretty good for me. I keep flirting with the 80's on my home course, which is 135 off of the whites. 2 of my last 5 rounds I needed a par on 18 for an 89 and finished with a bogie. This is the first year in the last 3 where I am yet to shoot in the 80's, maybe tomorrow??

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Maybe I need to face the facts... I still suck.
icon10.gif

Jun 24, 2006
The last few months every time I played I sowre I wasnt goin back again this year. I just put to much pressure on myself and expect to much from my game. It's difficult for me to enjoy myself on the course.

I havent been playing much so it hasn't been a huge problem.

Next year I'll be takeing lesson to improve my game, and going to the range alot more than I do now. Which was about twice all summer. not includeing trying out my new irons before the course opend.

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I figured something out over the last couple of weeks. The harder I try to hit long drives, the harder it becomes to hit long drives.

Rather than putting the driver away, I decided I'd keep hitting it but without expecting much. Had my best day in a couple of months on Sunday. I'm still 40 yds. behind most of you guys but it was a good day for me. :)

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I figured something out over the last couple of weeks. The harder I try to hit long drives, the harder it becomes to hit long drives.

Rather than putting the driver away, I decided I'd keep hitting it but without expecting much. Had my best day in a couple of months on Sunday. I'm still 40 yds. behind most of you guys but it was a good day for me. :)

He's also hitting a TP head though Dave.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Shorten that damn driver. Honestly, this will help you more than changing drivers every week. Shorten it to 43 inches, get the swing weight back to D3-4, and use a heavier shaft (75-85 grams). It will feel awkward at first, but, after you become accustomed to it you will hit the ball straighter than you ever have, and most likely longer as well due to better contact.

Wishon preaches this for a reason, it works plain and simple.

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Lyle, I think I'm going to do that. I hate to waste that nice grip but F it. I'm going to drop it down to a 44". It's an 85g shaft so it will still have a good weight. If I still hate it, it's a good 3Wood shaft.

Dannykos

Sep 20, 2006
ezra - mine's a 44" - and you can definitely feel the difference. You might lose 10 yards - but you'll hit more out of the screws

OP
ezra76

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Yeah, I think that is the way to go. I'm going to set up the R7425 at 44.75" with the Xflex and add some extra weight to the head. I think the stock setup is 12,12,2,2. I'm going to try, from heel to toe, 10,12,12,6. or 6,12,12,2. I have a feeling the R7 will be an all around better setup for me.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.