• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Just took the first step in becoming a PGA Professional

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
Well fed up enough with my job finally and always wanting to do something with golf I finally said what the hell I better do this before I get to old and lazy.

I just enrolled in the PGA Professional Golf Management Program. I was able to get on as an apprentice with the Golf pro here at a local country club. Well I should say that I'm not quite in the program yet I have to finish my apprenticeship first which involves being employed for a certain amount of time and completing the PAT. The PAT is the "Player Ability Test" I have to play 36 holes in a day and shoot below a certain score. The score depends on the difficulty of the course and I can choose between any number of courses.

Then its almost like being in college...there is a bunch of paper work that has to be done and there are different checkpoints that have to be met and you have to build up so many work experience credits and so on. They say that the average from the start of the apprenticeship to actually becoming a Head Pro somewhere is about 8yrs. I'm not saying that I will one day become a head pro but I willing to give it a go.

Wish me luck,
Rosmo

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I hear it's long and gruelling. Got a step by step process by one of my local head pros. Worth it though I guess, once you get to the end.

Garrett

Sep 15, 2006
By the way your PAT cost's about 100 a pop you must walk on all of those 36 in one day so bring a caddy. And you will usually have around 7-9 strokes to cushion yourself on the two rounds depending on the slope/rating. When I was at my prime I failed the 2 time's I tried. My good friend passed his PAT after 8 tries. 4 years later he is still looking for a course to become a 1st assistant at.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Go for it man. I don't know how many times I've said "that takes too long" about doing something like school or job training. Bottom line is I'm 30 now and doing the same damn thing I did right out of high school. Worst case scenario you have a career doing something you love. I wish I could say the same.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Right on, Rosmo.

Just remember, all the guys at ST were rooting for you during your grass roots day.

i.e.: cheap greenfees down the road. :D

Good luck dude.

R35

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i had thought about doing that through a college....but decided i just didn't have the game to make it work out...

good luck

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Congrats, as one who has gone through the process myself, it is long but rewarding. If you have any questions, just drop me a message

OP
Rosmo

Rosmo

All around nice guy
Apr 22, 2005
I might just do that...thanks Tmag.

and Rock...I might charge you double, just because your from Canada

JK :canadafla

GoodDay

Sep 22, 2006
Go for it...great news.

It ain't about the money -- it's about the love of the game.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online