• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Keegan Bradley: 'I'm being called a cheater more than ever'

Dogfish Head

Staff member
TEA is my HERO
Apr 8, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Country
United States United States
ablogs_golf_com__a_6a00d8341caaef53ef017c371d1b64970b_800wi_.jpg
Even if the USGA and R&A never ban anchored putting as proposed, the debate has left a mark.

Reporting from the Honda Classic in Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., Steve DiMeglio of USA Today writes that Keegan Bradley continues to be heckled by fans both in person and, more often, on Twitter.

"I'm being called a cheater more than ever by fans, by some writers — none of you guys — and it's really tough,"Bradley said Tuesday at a news conference in advance of this week's Honda Classic. "A lot of it's on Twitter, which is ridiculous, anyways, I know. I do read it and I shouldn't. I can't imagine how people can say that to me or to anybody out here. It's been really difficult, and I'm sick of it to be honest. I'm ready to be over it. I realize that this is going to be an issue now for the next couple years, at least. I hope the USGA thought about us players before they did this, because it's been really difficult on me and I know it's been really difficult on some other players, too."
Bradley became the first player to win a major using anchored putting at the 2011 PGA Championship at Atlanta Athletic Club. Although it was almost certainly a coincidence -- there is no data to prove anchored putting is more effective than regular putting -- Bradley's historic win was followed by Webb Simpson's 2012 U.S. Open victory, and Ernie Els's surprising win at the British Open a month later. Simpson and Els also anchor the putter, which would be outlawed starting Jan. 1, 2016, if the proposed ban goes into effect.

The issue is expected to be debated until the spring.

"Commissioner Finchem and the PGA Tour have always had their players' backs, no matter how big or small the group is," Bradley said. "Two of the biggest golf organizations, the PGA Tour and the PGA of America, have said that they don't agree with the USGA (and R&A). If they are really taking this comment period seriously, I think they really need to look at what's been said by both those organizations."
RELATED PHOTOS: Pros affected by anchored putting ban

(Photo: Stephen Dunn/Getty Images)

Source: Keegan Bradley: 'I'm being called a cheater more than ever'

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I sympathise with Bradley. Galleries are full of wannabes.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Good for Keegan for standing up for himself.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I'm a big fan of Keegan but to be honest, I would think more highly of him if he used a short putter. I know I shouldn't be like that but I feel like if you're going to be a pro, you shouldn't need a crutch. Feel free to blast me for this, but that's just my honest opinion.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm a big fan of Keegan but to be honest, I would think more highly of him if he used a short putter. I know I shouldn't be like that but I feel like if you're going to be a pro, you shouldn't need a crutch. Feel free to blast me for this, but that's just my honest opinion.
No blasting. Have you ever tried putting with the broomstick? It's not easy and you still have to make a stroke.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
No blasting. Have you ever tried putting with the broomstick? It's not easy and you still have to make a stroke.

I have and I agree. I don't really think it's THAT big of a deal. I'm just not impressed when I see pros using them. I think the only time an anchored putter would help is when the pro is on the 18th green, on Sunday, with a 1 stroke lead and has to make a straight in 6 footer for par to win a Major. When nerves have you shaking like a leaf, I feel like an anchored stroke would have an advantage. So, no, I'm not impressed when I see a pro with a belly putter.

I know someone will comeback at me with "Adam Scott", but I still feel that way. I'm not saying that I'm right, I'm just saying that's my opinion.

I think amateurs should still be able to use them though. Why can't golf be more like baseball where the pros have to use wooden bats?

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have and I agree. I don't really think it's THAT big of a deal. I'm just not impressed when I see pros using them. I think the only time an anchored putter would help is when the pro is on the 18th green, on Sunday, with a 1 stroke lead and has to make a straight in 6 footer for par to win a Major. When nerves have you shaking like a leaf, I feel like an anchored stroke would have an advantage. So, no, I'm not impressed when I see a pro with a belly putter.

I know someone will comeback at me with "Adam Scott", but I still feel that way. I'm not saying that I'm right, I'm just saying that's my opinion.

I think amateurs should still be able to use them though. Why can't golf be more like baseball where the pros have to use wooden bats?
I was thinking Sergio Garcia at the British with a belly putter, but Scott works too.

Bottom line when the pressure is on you still have to take the club back.

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
I like Keegan because of his death stare on the green. I don't really like him doing the Hokey-Pokey before every shot, though. Seems to perpetuate slow play.

That being said, I don't really see the issue with long putters. You still have to be able to read the speed and play the breaks.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I like Keegan because of his death stare on the green. I don't really like him doing the Hokey-Pokey before every shot, though. Seems to perpetuate slow play.

That being said, I don't really see the issue with long putters. You still have to be able to read the speed and play the breaks.

Yeah, I love Keegan's intensity. He has that 'take no hostages' look in his eyes.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I have Jim. It was way too easy. I never missed a putt. I was even dropping 100 foot putts. But come to think of it I was chewing LSD at the time whilst riding my unicorn ... o_O

Gaijin_Golfer

Feb 5, 2013
Columbus, OH
Country
I have. Ive messed around with long putters a few times at golf shops and couldnt miss with them. Granted, you still have to read the green but anchoring greatly smooths out your stroke, gives you better tempo and all but eliminates nerves and the putting yips.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I have. Ive messed around with long putters a few times at golf shops and couldnt miss with them. Granted, you still have to read the green but anchoring greatly smooths out your stroke, gives you better tempo and all but eliminates nerves and the putting yips.
At the shop. Put yourself on the 18th green if a major with make it take it pressure.

Also, let me ask this. If it makes putting so easy, why aren't all pros using the broomstick?

TEA Time

Grumpy Gilmore
Staff member
Admin
Mar 23, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Country
Sounds like you should totally use one. Hell, I should use one!

🔥 Latest posts