• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Keeping Head Still and Right Elbow, and Grip

danielson2047

Jun 21, 2006
First off, where do you guys have your right thumb in your grip (righties)? I know there's supposed to be no tension between it and the index finger. 2nd, any ideas on how to train my head to stay still? I know it is the reason my shots keep pulling. Lastly, should i concsiously think about keeping my right elbow in, or is it more important to think about wrist aciton, or should i just let it rip and worry more about starting my downsing with the transfer to my left foot. Also, should the left heel come off the ground, or should i roll the left foot to the right side? Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks much.

token_hottie

token_mommy... oops!
Jan 12, 2006
I like to put my rt. thumb straight down the grip but my golf instructor keeps trying to get me to move it to the left.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
danielson2047 said:
First off, where do you guys have your right thumb in your grip (righties)? I know there's supposed to be no tension between it and the index finger. 2nd, any ideas on how to train my head to stay still? I know it is the reason my shots keep pulling. Lastly, should i concsiously think about keeping my right elbow in, or is it more important to think about wrist aciton, or should i just let it rip and worry more about starting my downsing with the transfer to my left foot. Also, should the left heel come off the ground, or should i roll the left foot to the right side? Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks much.
Outside of the question about your head staying still, you have asked questions that will be answered both ways depending on who you talk too. The key is knowing the consequences or Pros and Cons by going the direction you choose. Hogan's 5 fundamentals can answer most of these, whether it is the correct method will be debated, however it is considered to be one of the best books you will find as far as fundamentals.

He feels your right thumb should be along for the ride, however you should take your grip "so that the thumb and the adjoining part of the hand across the V-the part that is the upper extension of the forefinger-press up against each other tightly, as inseperable as siamese twins" Realize, this should not be confused with gripping with them, as they should not be used to grip the club.

I try not to let my right elbow fly, yet I do not try and conciously keep it in either. I think you will find if you work on a solid foundation with your grip, it will correct many right elbow issues automatically. Most pros are taught to keep the left heel planted, however guys like Nicklaus and Penick feel that there are many positives to letting it rise a little specifically for amatuers. I personally keep mine planted, but it is not a concious decision, more of a trait of my swing.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
I keep my right thumb straight down out of habit, but I can switch either or, it doesn't really bother me.

As far as the head moving, it's not necessarily a bad thing. Generally you get slightly more distance when your head does move. But, try and keep your head a bit down and let your body move around you in your downswing and upswing to prevent the pull. I'm guessing when you do get that pull, you hit it a bit more on the left/lower side of the clubface. If so, then the solution I gave is how I fixed it when I fell into that habit.

Members online

No members online now.