• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

    We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

    Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Keeping Stat's

ezra76

Well-Known Member
Feb 5, 2006
12,412
16
I've been trying to keep my stats for all my rounds as of late. I use Golfchannel's pay deal so that makes it easier. If any of you guys keep yours I'd be interested to hear them.

Handicap-11
Fairways- 32%
Green Reg- 31%
Up & down- 28%
Putts pr Rd - 33

I could do better with fairways but it's the GIR that's really hurting. I miss a lot of fairways by a few yards but on a lot of longer holes it's a 2club difference vs. 3W. I don't think I'm really keeping a very good up and down stat. I've just been counting pars when not hitting the green vs. non-pars. So, really a lot of blown up and downs are actually pretty long shots, not chips and putts.
 

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
13,543
92
I'd be a little higher, but currently not considering Florida debacle...

Right around...

Handicap: 0
Fairways: 65%
Greens: 70%
Up & Down: 48%
PPR: 30.4

That's my rough numbers, should be about right.
 
OP
ezra76

ezra76

Well-Known Member
Feb 5, 2006
12,412
16
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #3
Thanks Jeff, I really appreciate it. I'm looking for a good measuring stick to see where I need the most improvement. I've been able to start stringing together a lot of holes at par but keep screwing it up on just a few holes with doubles. Need to make a practice plan to better my game but it's looking like all areas need improvement equally.

I'm happy to say that after blowing up with 102 last month I've at least strung together 18 straight 9's at better than bogey. It's a start. I think just playing/practicing at Triggs is my best bet. So long as the tees are open it's a 130 slope, playing more difficult with wind and colder weather. I've definitely noticed an improvement since starting to play partners matchplay with a regular 4some. It's not for $$ or anything but I'm learning to score, keep myself in the hole despite a poor shot. My routine for full shots, pitching & chipping and putting has gotten a lot more solid as well due to the match "pressure".
 

Dannykos

Well-Known Member
Sep 20, 2006
563
0
Ez, my stats are something like:

HC: 12 (UK)
FW: 55-60%
GIR: 30-35%
Putts: 33-34

Hope that helps
 

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
3,423
1
OK, I'll play. This would be my last 20.

Handicap-5.2
Fairways- 31%
Green Reg- 46%
Putts pr Rd - 31.32

Up & down- not sure I should track this
 

rubber314chicken

Thats what she said
Dec 27, 2007
499
1
Give me until next year when I'm not too embaressed with my stats to share them.

I'm at about a 35 handicap right now, and I can count all of my pars on one hand. Not bad for my first real season, but I think next season will be a lot better.
 

keithpbz

Well-Known Member
Nov 18, 2007
242
0
1.8 cap
58.7% fairways
61.6% gir
32.4 putts per round
1.2 three putts per round

I am not sure what up and downs are can someone explain, and my cap is going up cause i joined a new course and it has a 70.5 rating for a par 72 and is 6800 yards, it isnt a tough course but i have problems shooting low scores there. It seems to always be winding and they have alot of lakes and creeks that are the perfect distance to grab my tee shots. And the creeks always cross the middle of the fairway.
 
OP
ezra76

ezra76

Well-Known Member
Feb 5, 2006
12,412
16
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #8
An up and down would be making par after not hitting the GIR to put it simply. I've been confused about this stat myself. It's tough to figure what constitutes an up and down but I suppose it could be every case. Say I yank a drive left and have to puch out to the fairway on a long par 4. I guess I'm trying to get up and down even though I'm still hitting a 5iron into the green. That's what skews the % for me. If we're talking about up and down's from the greenside, that % is way higher.
 

Boulder

The Boulder is rolling
Jun 3, 2007
79
0
Up and Down - Sites one can Google ...

Sites one can Google are even vague and interpretive...

Up and Down - Definition of Up and Down
Definition: To get the ball into the hole in two strokes when starting from off the green or in a greenside hazard. Say your second shot on a par-4 is just short of the green. If you make par, you've made an up-and-down. Think of it this way: the first stroke was up onto the green; the second stroke was down into the cup.
Also Known As: Make and up-and-down, get up and down
Alternate Spellings: Up-and-down
Examples: The Golf Guide got the ball up and down. He sank the putt to get his up-and-down.

LearnAboutGolf.com | Commonly used Golf Terms
up and down Getting out of trouble or out of a hazard and into the hole.

Golf glossary of terms 'U' from TheGolfExpert.com
up and down - to put the ball into the hole in two strokes with the first one taking place from off of the green. In particular when getting the ball in the hole within two strokes will result in the player making par. Example: "Trevor's approach shot was way left of the green but his short game is excellent so he should be able to get up and down from there."

Unless the USGA, PGA, R&A, or some governing body states a very objective measurable standard, I adapt how I define it to my game to assess improvement/degradation in my specific game.
 
OP
ezra76

ezra76

Well-Known Member
Feb 5, 2006
12,412
16
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #10
OK. So, today for example. I hit a 3W too close to the trees on a near 90% dogleg left. I hooked a 5iron onto the green but it was way too hot. It ends up pinned against a fence. I chop once to get it off, then flub the next shot. I then chip on and nearly hole it, tap it in for a 6. Is that an up and down? That would pretty much mean any 1putt is an up and down.
 

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
13,543
92
OK. So, today for example. I hit a 3W too close to the trees on a near 90% dogleg left. I hooked a 5iron onto the green but it was way too hot. It ends up pinned against a fence. I chop once to get it off, then flub the next shot. I then chip on and nearly hole it, tap it in for a 6. Is that an up and down? That would pretty much mean any 1putt is an up and down.

Yeah, I think stats need a certain level of elasticity to them. I mean some courses I don't really even care if I go in the rough, so fairways aren't that big. Like you said, if it takes me 3 chips to just get on the green, and then I putt in, is that really an up and down?

As far as my stats go? I suck, so don't trust me! :D
 

Harold

Well-Known Member
Sep 15, 2007
65
0
Handicap: 18.7

Last 10 rounds average

Fairways: 54%
GIR: 23%
Putts 33.4
UD 32%
UD chances 46%

My UD is based on whether or not I reach the green in one less than par. So I average 8+ UD chances per round and convert nearly 1/3 of those.
 

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
6,029
2
Handicap 15
Driving accuracy 50%
GIR 25%
Putts per Gir 2.33
Total putts 34


BTW, I got all this off TeeDroid on my Blackberry.
 

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
13,571
13,559
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
I believe in keeping stats... at my home course... to improve my play. I, mainly, note what cost me strokes on each hole... where I could have saved/cut a stroke or two.

Stats from player to player, course to course, are nothing but numbers. Why??

1. The two courses I play most are entirely different. One's fairways are heavily tree lined. The other course doesn't have a single tree that comes into play. The fairways are wide and there isn't much trouble unless you stray really far left or right. I could hit 40% of the fairways on the wide open course and score what it would take hitting 70+% of the fairways on the other.
2. Likewise, the two courses have completely different sized greens. The first course has postage stamps. The second, much larger... more undulating greens. GIR's are going to be lower on the course with smaller greens. Putts are, in all liklihood, going to be increased on the course with larger greens.

Tour players or we weekend hackers who have the ability to play a substantial number of different courses could make some sense out of a complete set of stats. We who frequent the same course for over 80% of our rounds can make excellent use of stats... just in a different fashion.

Now... the stats that have real meaning....
1. Drivers per week/month/season
2. Putters per week/month/season
3. Beer cart girls that flipped you off per week/month/season
4. Number of times a ball skips on water before plunging to its liquid grave.
 
OP
ezra76

ezra76

Well-Known Member
Feb 5, 2006
12,412
16
  • Thread Starter
  • Thread starter
  • #15
I believe in keeping stats... at my home course... to improve my play. I, mainly, note what cost me strokes on each hole... where I could have saved/cut a stroke or two.

Stats from player to player, course to course, are nothing but numbers. Why??

1. The two courses I play most are entirely different. One's fairways are heavily tree lined. The other course doesn't have a single tree that comes into play. The fairways are wide and there isn't much trouble unless you stray really far left or right. I could hit 40% of the fairways on the wide open course and score what it would take hitting 70+% of the fairways on the other.
2. Likewise, the two courses have completely different sized greens. The first course has postage stamps. The second, much larger... more undulating greens. GIR's are going to be lower on the course with smaller greens. Putts are, in all liklihood, going to be increased on the course with larger greens.

These are good points. You can see the differnces just by going down the list of responses. I have a lower % of fwy's hit than just about everyone, including guys with caps 4-5strokes higher than me. GIR are also not very high. The courses I play have smaller greens, relatively long and a lot of holes have plenty of rough before ending up in the trees/OB. When playing par 4's 420-470yds., I kind of "have" to hit driver. Now, also take into consideration driver distance. When I'm looking at an average of 260yds. carry off the tee not only is hitting the rough inside of 150 not going to matter much on a lot of holes but also the longer I hit it, the less accurate I am. I actually used a 3W for a few weeks, no driver. My fairways went up to 70% but I had a lot of trouble playing the long holes in 2 shots with 200yds. in vs. 170.

So now let me bring a course management question into this. Lets say I hit my driver 260 and a 3W 235 for sake of argument. The hole is 410yds., small green, elevated and well bunkered. Fairway is mid wide but a good 20-25yds. of rough before any trees are an issue.
Driver- I have a 30% chance of hitting the fairway, 70% chance of hitting it into the rough. I get a 7iron into the green with the driver from rough or fairway.
3W- I have a 70% chance of hitting fwy but 30% chance of missing it. I'll have a 5iron in from the fairway, which is slightly better than the 7i from the rough but it brings the worst case scenario into play, which would be the 5iron out of the rough.
 

Latest posts

Top