• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Kidney stones suck

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
United States United States
yea big frickin surprise for those of us who have had them. Had a bout with them about 10 years ago which ended up in having them sonic blasted to bits. Found out I had at least 2 more last year during a cat scan when I had the heart issue. Drs were keeping an eye on them & they hadn't moved at all, until saturday morning. Woke up st 4:00 am feeling like shit & right away I knew what it was, tried to tough it out for a couple hrs but eventually I caved in & hit the ER.

After some drugs there to relax the pain I was asked to prvide a urine sample, no problem at all. Actually passed the stone right there in the ER & they bagged & tagged it for autopsy. Sent me on my way with a prescription for some percocets to help deal with residual pain. Sunday everything was halfassed ok but kept getting another sharp pain at times but it didn't last, until 7:00 pm then it was 1 hr of pure agony & then suddenly the pain vanished & I passed another small stone.

Figured that had to be it but no, this morning at 4:00am the pain came back worse than ever & wouldn't subside after 2 hrs. Hit the ER once again where I demanded to have a Cat Scan, for some reason they were very reluctant to take one & were trying to give me some line of shit about the pain being caused by the previous stones scratching the tube. Surprise surprise but they found a 3rd & last stone that is stuck in the ureter just before it goes into the bladder, about 3mm in diameter. The prescribed treatment is typically to have the patient pass the stone while dealing with the pain thru drugs. Gave me a script for some decent vicodins as well as Flomax which will supposedly allow the stone to pass easier.

Been a horrible 3 days & I am beat over it. Anyone have any kidney stone horror stories of their own?

Sorry for the long post.

N.V.M.

now...a cartoon
Sep 27, 2008
gout here,lol! and i can not imagine anything hurting more than a gouty knee.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
try the kidney stones on for size & you will think gout is a walk in the park. Hell the pain from these damn things is worse than the recovery from Open Heart surgery.

xamilo

Right Curving Driver....
Supporting Member
Dec 22, 2007
In medicine we call the kidney stones as "male's giving birth disease" due to the terrible contractions and awful pain people go through.
Its supposed to be one of the worst non-neuropatic pains someone can suffer from.

I'm sorry for you mate! Hope you finish this terrible episode, never to have it return...

BTW, an "autopsy" means to check o a dead body. You might mean the stone was sent to "pathology" :)

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
In medicine we call the kidney stones as "male's giving birth disease" due to the terrible contractions and awful pain people go through.
Its supposed to be one of the worst non-neuropatic pains someone can suffer from.

I'm sorry for you mate! Hope you finish this terrible episode, never to have it return...

BTW, an "autopsy" means to check o a dead body. You might mean the stone was sent to "pathology" :)

Nope I actually meant Autopsy because it sounded better, you get the gist of it anyways:D

Fitzpatrick

Good Walk Spoiler
Supporting Member
Dec 19, 2006
My brother had them a couple of years ago. Was trying to fall asleep one night, and his back started to hurt real bad. So bad, in fact, that he threw up and almost passed out. None of his roommates were available or willing to drive him to the ER, so he drove himself. The docs there took him in for an exam, and concluded that he had kidney stones. All they could tell him was that he would have to pass it, but they gave him a prescription for some Vicodin for the pain. Fast forward a couple of nights, he wakes up again from some really intense back pain, and went to the bathroom where he pissed a little blood, and then passed the first of the two stones. He hadn't taken any Vicodin at the time, and passed it cold. ::shudder::

A couple of weeks later, it's his college graduation. He's sitting with his classmates, cap and gown and all. Finally it gets to the point where he walks across the stage, and we notice from our seats that he's got a really goofy grin on his face. When he meets us outside after the ceremony, he's sweating a lot and his eyes are glazed over. Apparently, the second stone was starting to move during the ceremony and he had to pop a Vicodin. He insisted that we go for lunch instead of going to the ER. While waiting for our food, he excuses himself to go to the bathroom and is in there for probably ten minutes. I go to check on him, and he's propped up against the wall facing the urinal, having just passed the second stone a few seconds earlier. Just groaning in agony. In fact, there was a woman outside the bathroom asking if she should call an ambulance. Instead, he pops half a Vicodin and goes back to the table.

Apparently, the doctors there placed the blame on all the sodas and energy drinks he consumed. I knew there was a reason I rarely drink that stuff.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
The prescribed treatment is typically to have the patient pass the stone while dealing with the pain thru drugs.

Wi-Golfer

Boy am I familiar with kidney stones. Only I'd go through 12 hours of agony to pass them. The worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. They had to give me so much drugs they were close to stopping my heart. I had them about every 4 months for two straight years until they dilated my tubes (put in stents) for ultrasound crushing and the tubes have stayed large even after removing the stents. I still occassionally get stones but they drop right out with no pain. Sometimes they get stuck in the gun barrel though and that's a little uncomfortable until I can take another piss. I feel for ya Wi-Golfer.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Woke up just abit ago due to the damn pain that the vicodin has somewhat under control, another 30 minutes & I can have another one.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
First one in 1977. Have passed 7 over the years. Operated on for one in 1981. The last one, in 2005, was blasted to bits by the ultrasound. Each one is an experience in pain. Every ER staff reacts differently to a patient w/stones. Some understand the excruciating pain and will treat accordingly... others have to "convinced" to dig out the good drugs!!!

The last one hit on a Friday morning. ER dosed me with good drugs. Urologist said stone was too big to drag out and said he would need to break it up. Installed a stent between kidney and bladder. Stent is a plastic straw that lines the urethea to keep the stone from aggravating the lining. Told me the ultrasound machine would be in town the following Wednesday to do the deed. Kept my Saturday morning tee time. Pee'd blood the entire round. My regular group called me stupid and my wife threatened to leave!!!

The stone was broken up with no problem. Doc said to leave the stent in for a week to allow the gravel to pass. Said to come by his office to have the stent removed. Went to his office a week later. NO local... NO pain meds... Lays me down on the table and takes an instrument that consists of a flashlight with ''D" cell batteries and a pair of channel lock pliers (at least that's what it felt like) and goes up through the end of my pee pee to remove the stent. Took what seemed like an eternity for him to find the end of the stent and grab it with the "pliers". Once having hold of the stent, he says "Better hold onto the bed rails, this may sting a bit!" Doc!!! Your fishing around inside my bladder with more tools than Mr. Goodwrench has in his toolbox is already "stinging" a little bit!! His overweight, red-headed nurse lays her fat body down over my feet so I can't kick the crap out of the doc. Then, he drags this piece of plastice that feels like it's about 10 feet long out through my... well you can imagine!!!! I still think I noticed a gleam in the eye of the fat nurse! Think she gets her jollies from watching men in immense pain as the stents are removed!!

The good news.... The say as you age, the incidence of stones is diminished. In the meantime, they say no salt... no calcium... no spinach or brocolli... no caffine... no carbonated beverages... the list goes on and on as to what they guess may cause the stones. I used to religiously adhere to the recommendations and, Kaboom!, another stone would appear. Finally, I resolved myself to the fact stones are sorta like a winter blizzard. You have zero control over them. You just have to tolerate them if and when they appear. And... as you can attest... they ain't no fun!!!!!

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Limp, I hear you on the pain aspect. My 1st stone years ago was too big to come out on it's own & the sonic deal was mobile semi truck type unit which wasn't going to be in town for another 10 days or so. Never even offered any sort of stent, they just went in thru my unit & shoved the stone back into the kidney. Blasted the stone to bits once the sonic machone showed up. Had a big bruise on my back from that ordeal too.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Still trying to pass this son of a bitch. Pain kicked in huge about 8:00 & lasted for almost 90 minutes, I literally took 7 vicodins in a little over an hr in an attempt to control it. Hopeful that it passes tonight.

OP
Wi-Golfer

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
Still sitting in their & irritating me. Kinda gross but oh well, last night I pissed out a bunch of blood clots, looked like coffee grounds. That wasn't the bad part though, the urine was real dark as well, almost black. That has cleared up but the blood clots are still coming out. Think it may be time to go the next step, although i'm not sure what that would be.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
Get your ass into the hospital wi. I've never had that blood clot thing happen and I've passed probably 30-40 stones (sometimes multiple stones per "sessions") over the last 15 years.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online