• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Kids/Junior golf clubs

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
My 12 year old son is going to junior golf clinics and lessons. He is 5' tall on the dot. Problem is, junior clubs stop at 5' tall. What would you do? Get a junior set that will last him indefinately (hasn't hit his growth spurt yet) or have him play with ladies clubs? Is there another positve alternative?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Get a cut off saw and both of you can learn to change iron shaft together.
icon10.gif
Find a deal on a few iron shafts and then I suppose you could just take like the 8iron shaft, put it in the PW and move on from there, replacing the 2 lowest irons with new shafts. Obviously you don't want to go buy $700 irons for him. Get something used, reasonably cheap and easy to work on.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
My 12 year old son is going to junior golf clinics and lessons. He is 5' tall on the dot. Problem is, junior clubs stop at 5' tall. What would you do? Get a junior set that will last him indefinately (hasn't hit his growth spurt yet) or have him play with ladies clubs? Is there another positve alternative?

US Kids golf has some clubs for him. I originally bought him the blue system from US Kids golf and he has gone to the green system (he is 7 and 4'3" tall). I like US Kids golf because you can get them a whole set for 130.00 (including bag stand).

OP
HighTopFade

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
Thanks Demon. Found my solution at uskidsgolf.com

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
guys, there's a great opportunity here for some father/son time. hop online and visit golfsmith's club making section. snakes eyes makes a python junior collection that is fantastic. (they're on a great sale right now too!)

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/SE2851)

required tools/supplies were about $100 and the components were around $100 as well (a lot less now with the sale). we built up a 3W, 5i, 7i, 9i, and wedge. the 3W and 5i have grafalloy prolaunch jr shafts and the rest have true temper jr steel. all clubs have golf pride tour velvet jr. grips.

i had never even considered building a club before this project but we learned together. the gs site was a great resource and the packing slip had all the trimming instructions printed on it. my son was 11 at the time and the project took us a couple of nights to accomplish as i was determined to not have him watch me build clubs for him. we discussed all the instructions together and set-up our work area, beer/root beer included. :) we worked slowly and methodically. i did all the work on the graphite shafted clubs and he did the work with the steel shafted ones (he did it all; measuring, cutting, epoxy, and grip).

we had a great time and the best part is taking him out to the range/course and watching him play with the clubs HE BUILT!

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
Get him a true adult set. At 12 years old, he will soon spurt very fast. A junior set will only get used for, hmmm... a year?

OP
HighTopFade

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
Get him a true adult set. At 12 years old, he will soon spurt very fast. A junior set will only get used for, hmmm... a year?

That means I'll have to upgrade my whole set and pass down my current set. :)

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
That means I'll have to upgrade my whole set and pass down my current set. :)

Bingo! I have an awesome set of Mizuno MX-20s that I'm holding for him in my bag. :D

Fwiw, my son sprouted 4.5 inches in the last 4.5 months. We cut his to what is essentially std women's length. He's now just over 5'7" and, although he is tall enough to play std men's length, he still needs the jr flex shafts.

OP
HighTopFade

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
I purchased a used complete set of Hogan Jrs about 7 years ago. Comparing them to a set of ladies clubs, they're only a tad bit shorter. My son and I went to the range, purchased a glove, and hit some balls. I think my son is feeling the addiction. Here are his clubs, old school, traditional, and cool.

zhjr01.jpg

zhjr02.jpg

OP
HighTopFade

HighTopFade

Sep 1, 2006
My kid liked the way my 905R sounded so we went to Golf Mart after the range to find him a more technological driver with a graphite shaft and bigger head. We found a Tour X kid's driver for $24.99. Not bad. And for me, I picked up a new club brush, and the 2007 Natalie Gulbis calendar.

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
I purchased a used complete set of Hogan Jrs about 7 years ago. Comparing them to a set of ladies clubs, they're only a tad bit shorter. My son and I went to the range, purchased a glove, and hit some balls. I think my son is feeling the addiction. Here are his clubs, old school, traditional, and cool.

zhjr01.jpg

zhjr02.jpg
Is that San Jose Muni driving range?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006

zhjr01.jpg

zhjr02.jpg

Shoot not even 1/4 of the players ehre are brave enough to try blades. :)

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
We bought our 11 year old son and our 8 year old son the boxed sets from Dick's (yeah, yeah...I know) in the age appropriate sizes. They were on sale for $119, I think.

The 11 year old got his early...shot a 54 from the ladies tees about 2 weeks ago walking/carrying. Good set for him, good stand/carry bag, not a whole lot of $$. He loves them! 8 yr. old gets his on Christmas day.

Nice thing is, if they hold up, the 8 yr. olds clubs will go to my nephew, the 11 year old's to the 8.

There are some "transition sets" out there to go between kids/adults sizes, but you'll have to look around.

🔥 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online