• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

King Cobra - is it a branding mistake?

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I doesn't look much different than what they've been doing since 2010.

Titleist-716-CB-irons-review-630x472.jpg

titleist714cbirons.jpg

CB%20712-500x500.jpg

bc_titliest_710_back.jpg

One thing I will say about those, is that I like the clean lines. When it comes to irons these days, if I can see plastic or synthetic inserts, I'm not interested.

Unrepentant 60s kid

Aug 30, 2012
DCI  962 II.gif
The newer TM iron that ualtim likes above is way too busy looking for me. The older GI clubs that were not admired here look perfectly good to me. Maybe it's a generational thing.

My "seasoned" set, in fact, is good to go right now. I could easily play them right now except that while I was trying to get a prescription pill from her vet into my dog's mouth, she nearly took my finger off and I'm done for 2015.

But I never had to replace these. I was just seduced by the new Hogans.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I like the look too but I wonder how it will stand the test of time. In 10 years, what will it look like against the 2025 TM offering?
To me, it is one of the better looking irons they have produced in a while. More classic looking than the previous ones TM produced. 2025? I may be ready for a new set by then. :D

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
View attachment 27119 The newer TM iron that ualtim likes above is way too busy looking for me. The older GI clubs that were not admired here look perfectly good to me. Maybe it's a generational thing.

But I never had to replace these. I was just seduced by the new Hogans.
That Alien wedge isn't exactly traditional. It's also one of the ugliest wedges ever made, just my opinion. Also, the old TM burner isn't what I would call traditional either. Copper paint is kind of radical, if you ask me. Also, the offset is insane. It looks like it has been run over with a golf cart. I'm not trying to belittle your choices in clubs. Just pointing out that everyone has different tastes and perceptions.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
I think the new irons (at least the GI) look like NASCAR race cars. Even Ping and some Mizuno's have botched up their clean looks. If I could afford new irons the only ones I'd now consider are these Mizuno MP-H5.

View attachment 27128
I would love to have a set of Mizuno irons. These are probably my top choice atm.
210704_01
210704_03

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
If I had a "favorite" iron, today, and bought a set... within 48 hours, I'd have another "favorite" and the itch would start all over.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
My pipe-dream is that PING would go back to basics and become the mfg'er they used to be. If they'd re-issue the EYE 2 irons in stronger lofts and legal grooves, I'd pay WAY too much for them. I loved the made-in-America, 2 year product cycle, customer-oriented, indestructible finish, no-ferrule, muted color, no frills PING.

Mizuno is def eye-candy, but I don't have the game

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
My pipe-dream is that PING would go back to basics and become the mfg'er they used to be. If they'd re-issue the EYE 2 irons in stronger lofts and legal grooves, I'd pay WAY too much for them. I loved the made-in-America, 2 year product cycle, customer-oriented, indestructible finish, no-ferrule, muted color, no frills PING.

Mizuno is def eye-candy, but I don't have the game
I had the same dream, it was crushed by Ping's latest releases. That is why TM's are in the bag.

If they released Ping Eye 2's with 2016 specs I would have bought a set in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

🔥 Latest posts