• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

King Cobra - is it a branding mistake?

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
United States United States
I'll keep the dream alive by playing my G5's and Eye 2+ irons - good thing they last forever.
I still have my i10's (last I series made in USA) and Eye 2+ irons, but wanted a set of irons with modern specs and legal grooves. Ping dropped the ball with their latest offerings.

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
I still have my i10's (last I series made in USA) and Eye 2+ irons, but wanted a set of irons with modern specs and legal grooves. Ping dropped the ball with their latest offerings.

They sold out when they went to China. I wonder if they stayed home and just held their pricing if they could still be profitable. They pay a lot of tour players and a lot of ads.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
They sold out when they went to China. I wonder if they stayed home and just held their pricing if they could still be profitable. They pay a lot of tour players and a lot of ads.
I wish they did stay at home. Even if they produce the other lines in China, keep one line of irons made in USA, ferruless, and classic Ping indestructible steel. There would be a market for such a line.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
I wish they did stay at home. Even if they produce the other lines in China, keep one line of irons made in USA, ferruless, and classic Ping indestructible steel. There would be a market for such a line.

The good news is their classic clubs are easy to find, cheap to buy, easy to reshaft, and can be retumbled to like new condition.

Unrepentant 60s kid

Aug 30, 2012
My pipe-dream is that PING would go back to basics and become the mfg'er they used to be. If they'd re-issue the EYE 2 irons in stronger lofts and legal grooves, I'd pay WAY too much for them. I loved the made-in-America, 2 year product cycle, customer-oriented, indestructible finish, no-ferrule, muted color, no frills PING.

Mizuno is def eye-candy, but I don't have the game

The weak lofts and the box grooves are the reason I WOULD buy reissued Eye 2s. Modern lofts have turned set composition into a bag half full of wedges and long irons that nobody can hit so they often don't even offer them anymore.

The groove rule was a USGA mega-gaffe.

The real improvements Eye 2s could have used, imo, of course, were shaft options and graduated offset. Their short irons and wedges had off-the-chart offsets. Overall, though, they were quite a good concept.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
The weak lofts and the box grooves are the reason I WOULD buy reissued Eye 2s. Modern lofts have turned set composition into a bag half full of wedges and long irons that nobody can hit so they often don't even offer them anymore.

The real improvements Eye 2s could have used, imo, of course, were shaft options and graduated offset. Their short irons and wedges had off-the-chart offsets. Overall, though, they were quite a good concept.

I like the big offset in all the lofts......so much that I just scored another set of Eye 2s. 3-W, blue dot, excellent shape $100. :)

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia

I had been a vocal critic of jacked lofts b/c I thought it was all to do with smoke and mirrors marketing about distance.

But after speaking with my club fitter my understanding has changed. He said that players are after longer distance with their clubs. He said manufacturers that leave their product's lofts at traditional settings will struggle to sell them. Players want more distance.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
I had been a vocal critic of jacked lofts b/c I thought it was all to do with smoke and mirrors marketing about distance.

But after speaking with my club fitter my understanding has changed. He said that players are after longer distance with their clubs. He said manufacturers that leave their product's lofts at traditional settings will struggle to sell them. Players want more distance.
My take on today's stronger lofts... The number on the bottom of the club doesn't make a hill of beans difference. You need to learn what iron you hit what distance. If you hit an Eye 2 8-iron 140 and hit a TMAG 9-iron 140... you're going to hit the club that gets you there. The difference in my book is this. Folks like hitting jacked up lofts. They don't notice that the club lengths have remained relatively standard. So, your jacked up 9-iron is really an 8-iron with a shorter shaft. The shorter the shaft, the shorter the arc, the less dispersion you should have. IOW, you should hit the jacked up 9 straighter than the longer-shafted 8.

PaPaD

Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Country
My take on today's stronger lofts... The number on the bottom of the club doesn't make a hill of beans difference. You need to learn what iron you hit what distance. If you hit an Eye 2 8-iron 140 and hit a TMAG 9-iron 140... you're going to hit the club that gets you there. The difference in my book is this. Folks like hitting jacked up lofts. They don't notice that the club lengths have remained relatively standard. So, your jacked up 9-iron is really an 8-iron with a shorter shaft. The shorter the shaft, the shorter the arc, the less dispersion you should have. IOW, you should hit the jacked up 9 straighter than the longer-shafted 8.

Check the lengths on some brands.....they are jacked as well.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
I think the new Hogan line will help solve some of these numbering issues by using lofts rather than single digit iron numbers. I like the tech built into the newer irons with the various toe weights and less obvious/progressive offsets etc. I am hitting more consistent distances with the TM face slot tech and weighting profiles. To me, the i10's were a noticible improvement over my Eye 2 + in consistency. My RSi2's are noticeably more constant than my i10's. While I wish the club number loft issue was standardized somehow to avoid the distance marketing hype, I do like what the newer irons bring to the table...I just wished they looked more like my Eye 2+.

OP
TheTrueReview

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I think the new Hogan line will help solve some of these numbering issues by using lofts rather than single digit iron numbers. I like the tech built into the newer irons with the various toe weights and less obvious/progressive offsets etc. I am hitting more consistent distances with the TM face slot tech and weighting profiles. To me, the i10's were a noticible improvement over my Eye 2 + in consistency. My RSi2's are noticeably more constant than my i10's. While I wish the club number loft issue was standardized somehow to avoid the distance marketing hype, I do like what the newer irons bring to the table...I just wished they looked more like my Eye 2+.

I remember reading reviews that the i10s were great but the i15s were easier to hit.

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
F#cking nailed it!

🔥 Latest posts