• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Knee replacement this morning

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
PapaD, I’m curious as to what you can and can’t do after knee surgery. Is jogging or running out of the question? My father had it done 10 or so years ago and he has mentioned something about not supposed climb ladders anymore and something about kneeling. He’s elderly now so those activities are long gone.
Had mine in 2009. Surgeon said I would never be able to climb ladders, etc. I worked another 8 years... climbing ladders and climbing up and down steep banks of excavations. I do have trouble kneeling but most of that is due to how bad the tendons had atrophied before the surgery. I have always thought that as long as I don't "shock" it such the epoxy could give away, I should be okay.
I've also seen many who have lots of trouble after TKR, but are quite obese. I'm far from skinny. Still, I'm not a what I would consider "fat".

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Thanks MCD! Y'all stay out of Dorian's way, now!
I'm not worried here at home, but I am concerned about the beach house. Probably will head down Friday after Dorian moves out to check for damage.

OP
PaPaD

PaPaD

Geezer, recovering club ho.
Supporting Member
Jan 5, 2015
Fredericksburg VA & Hernando FLA
Country
Update: Just saw the surgeon today. This is day 16 after surgery. Swelling is nearly gone, flexion is at 115 degrees (120 is goal) and extension is at 3 degrees from flat (zero is the goal). I started PT at the clinic yesterday. Both the PT and the surgeon say I am 2 weeks ahead of normal recovery and can resume normal activities including golf now. I was advised to ease into it, so I may hit some balls tomorrow and see how I do. Might give 9 holes a try next week. This knee surgery went a lot better than my last with no bruising, less swelling and strength returning faster. Same surgeon, same procedure, same hospital. I worked it really hard at home the days just after surgery, so I guess that with the steady icing did the trick.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
Got home yesterday afternoon from my latest back surgery. What was supposed to take 2.5 hours ended up being 7 hours. Then I couldn't pee. By the time I finally convinced them I needed to be catheterized, I was literally screaming in pain. They got out over 900mL the first time and 550 the second. Had to lay flat for 12 hours, then slowly allowed to get up. 5 hours later I was out of there and headed to my recliner at home. With the aid of multiple pain relievers, I slept most of the night. Standing up is the most painful part but it's getting better.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
Got home yesterday afternoon from my latest back surgery. What was supposed to take 2.5 hours ended up being 7 hours. Then I couldn't pee. By the time I finally convinced them I needed to be catheterized, I was literally screaming in pain. They got out over 900mL the first time and 550 the second. Had to lay flat for 12 hours, then slowly allowed to get up. 5 hours later I was out of there and headed to my recliner at home. With the aid of multiple pain relievers, I slept most of the night. Standing up is the most painful part but it's getting better.
Get better soon, Doc.

🔥 Latest posts