• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

KZG clubs...anyone know much about them???

clint

Aug 17, 2006
I'm looking at getting a set of KZG's OC-1 irons. The reason I'm leaning towards those is I can get set for a touch less than 500 bucks and they're completely custom...shafts, grips, loft, lie, and length. The club builder uses a launch monitor and some sort of shafts that have all kinds of sensors in them to record all the flex and torque data. The shaft thing sounded a little gimmicky to me but even if it half works it should help out with the fitting. He's been fitting clubs for 20 something years and was voted one of KZG's top 100 club fitters last year. Again, a little gimmicky but could hold some weight.

Basically what I'm getting at is I can spend 500 on a set at a Golf Galaxy, get the stock shafts and grips, and hope that the guy fitting me knows what he's doing, or I can go to the KZG guy and feel fairly confident that I'll be getting a lot more for the same money.

Any thoughts or advice???

Clint

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
Depending on the sensor recording equipment he has I would say go for it. I got to play around in the True Temper Vans and they had a similar setup that records shaft data. I never took its advice at a tipped X flex since I do not like the feel but it is interesting enough to play with.

OP
C

clint

Aug 17, 2006
I just looked it up and he is using the True Temper shaft lab system.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
From what I've heard, they're great clubs. Seems like someone on this site is a fitter that sells these, but I can't remember who...sorry.

SiberianDVM

I love Hooters
Jul 25, 2005
Augusta, GA
Country
United States United States
Where are you, Clint?

The guy who reshafted my clubs, Dana Upshaw, is in Warner Robbins, GA. He is very good. A picture of him and his "lab" is on page 281 of Tom Wishon's book The Search for the Perfect Golf Club.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
KZG is an excellent iron maker, thier forgings are considered some of the very best available anywhere.

JoshinWA

Aug 31, 2006
I have gone to a local clubfitter in my home town that sells KZG, and I liked the look of their forged heads. The felt a bit "deader" to me than Mizunos, but for about 60% the cost, and that was with standard TT shafts - nothing too funny.

I have thought about these as well for $570 or so, but will probably save up a bit more and go for the Wishons...

OP
C

clint

Aug 17, 2006
Where are you, Clint?

The guy who reshafted my clubs, Dana Upshaw, is in Warner Robbins, GA. He is very good. A picture of him and his "lab" is on page 281 of Tom Wishon's book The Search for the Perfect Golf Club.

I'm in Norfolk, VA...just a hop, skip, and about 5000 jumps from you. LOL.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
When I was asking my instructor to recommend some "component" clubs to have have custom made for me, his reply was Wishon, KZG, or Infiniti. Having researched all three, I chose Wishon but, I don't think you can go wrong with KZG either since they are going to be made for you. That is the important part; getting fitted.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I'm in Norfolk, VA...just a hop, skip, and about 5000 jumps from you. LOL.

Clint, I have in laws in Norfolk and a very good golf buddy in Chesapeake. We'll have to get together some time (When I am not playing with SiberianDVM since I have in laws there too. My wife has 5 brothers and 4 sisters).

OP
C

clint

Aug 17, 2006
Clint, I have in laws in Norfolk and a very good golf buddy in Chesapeake. We'll have to get together some time (When I am not playing with SiberianDVM since I have in laws there too. My wife has 5 brothers and 4 sisters).

Sounds good. I actually live in Chesapeake, but everybody knows Norfolk/Virginia Beach so I usually use those as my response to where I live.

Golfbum

THAT'S SOLID
Jan 14, 2005
I had the opportunity to hit a KZG Forged Cavity Back 7 iron shafted with a DGX100 shaft with the Pro Soft Inserts installed in the shaft. Built by a certified club builder.
The iron was the smallest forged head that KZG makes. I loved it, man the ball came off it like a canon. Nice ball flight, penatrating flight.
Take a look at these heads from KZG http://www.kzgolf.com/Irons_CBIII.aspx
Forged, a nice smooth feeling. They would cost a bit more than the cast heads but IMO would be well worth it. You could have them bent for fit your proper lie angle, another bonus.
BTW I play with Wishon 550C irons and love them. Great irons.
Good Luck

🔥 Latest posts