• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Laser Range Finder Or GPS??????

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I am leaning towards a laser range finder since I play alot of events at unfamiliar courses. Does it have to be a unit "made" for golf or are they all the same so long as you buy a quality unit? Is there any real difference?

NiftyNiblick

Nov 12, 2008
The GPS ones are better, but the course has to be registered in the data base. The laser type works anywhere, but you need a sight line.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I am leaning towards a laser range finder since I play alot of events at unfamiliar courses. Does it have to be a unit "made" for golf or are they all the same so long as you buy a quality unit? Is there any real difference?
I think this thread would answer my question about what I think in owning both.
http://www.shottalk.com/forum/equipment-talk/11102-range-finders-vs-gps-compared.html

There are also a multitude of others out there with good information. If you have any other questions after reading the one I linked, feel free to ask.

To answer your question about it having to be made for golf, I have heard many that use others, although from most reviews I have read they indicate you want one for golf. I also know the people that said you can use others, I rarely see them use them on the course. I have also heard that you do want to spend the money, and I will attest that the one I own is likely the cheapest I would recommend. If I did it again, I would likely go a little better if I only wanted a range finder, as even mine can be finicky picking up flags from a distance unless it has a reflector. Although then as I have also mentioned in the past, if I went with a better one, I would likely spend the same amount of money and simply get both. I still like that idea, and could likely have both of mine for the price of a Pin Seeker.

To me it is real simple in what you mentioned and is the criteria I usually use in deciding which to use on a given day, even though many times I will use both. Playing a lot of events at unfamiliar courses I would side with the Range finder. Playing a few or couple courses a lot of times, I would likely go with the GPS. If you intend to spend over $400 I would get both (for likely even less than that price).

slickpitt

Aug 15, 2006
I think GPS is the way to go... especially since the course library has got so large... it's hard to find a course that isn't mapped.

nixdad

Mar 4, 2008
I have a Bushell laser. I wouldn't give it up for anything. Yes you need line of sight, but there aren't a lot of times I cna't see the pin. The distance is exact which h elps a ton. I've been with players that have GPS units who wanted to comare yardages. Their GPS units were off as much as ten yards.

Just my two cents worth.

Good luck.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
2 years ago I would have said laser without a doubt. However, with the availability of course now and the extremely improved accuracy of the GPS units I would now lean towards the GPS. Faster, more info, and no sight line needed. I just sold my laser this past month and will use a GPS next season.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
2 years ago I would have said laser without a doubt.

Yeah, I know. I nearly bought a laser because of that Lyle. :D

I actually have a GPS on the way. When I was in Florida they allowed us the use of the SkyCaddie5 and that thing is pretty darn sweet man.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
If you have a GPS enabled phone such as a Blackberry or an iphone I'd suggest going with TeeDroid. The cost is cheap, $19.95 a year, and if a course isn't in the data base all you have to do is send them an email or a call and it will be added ASAP.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
2 years ago I would have said laser without a doubt. However, with the availability of course now and the extremely improved accuracy of the GPS units I would now lean towards the GPS. Faster, more info, and no sight line needed. I just sold my laser this past month and will use a GPS next season.

Holy crap, hell just froze over.

OP
F

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
Just my observation on GPSs. I play a Troon course a few times a year that has the latest GPS systems built into the carts. You put two carts side by side and the two will have different yardages to the green. I've seen the difference as high as 11 yards.

I have a high end gps on my boat and I venture to offshore wrecks to fish and one day the gps puts you right on the spot.....another day you have to pattern serarch for a few minutes to get on top of an object the size of an army tank. Gps is only as accurate as the government lets it be on any given day.

goto10

Loopy
Aug 24, 2008
I had GPS... sold it for my 1500 TE and you couldn't pry it from my cold dead hands. :laugh:

My main golf buddy has GPS... sometimes a round will go by where he doesn't even use it. I just give him his #s.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
I prefer the laser. Get a golf specific bushnell, which should give you the closest yardage of the multitude it reads when you aim at the pin (that means it should "lock on" to the pin). A hunting bushnell for example, at least the one I am familiar with, gives you the furthest target of what it reads, useful if your target is partially obscured by brush. I actually prefer the Nikon models over Bushnells for hunting, but Bushnell makes my favorite golf range finder.

keithpbz

Nov 18, 2007
I have both, i like the gps to know front and back of greens and layup spots that i have added into them but i also like to know exact yardages to the pin. I only use both when i am in a tourny cause it is like having a yardage book but not having to do all the math for myself. I used to have a nikon monarch 800 laser for hunting but it is the exact one that callaway puts there name on and cost me less that $200.

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
I like & prefer the GPS, laser may be more accurate but I would venture to guess that for the majority of us a difference of + or - 4-5 yds isn't going to make a damn bit of difference as we aren't that accurate nor consistent anyways.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I used a borrowed skycaddie SG2.5 for the last month of the season and did a lot of comparing to my busnell medallist. Not once were the 2 ever more than 5 yards apart. This is what sold me. The GPS was just so much easier. I just had it dangling from my bag (golf bag you sick chumps), take a quick look and go. The laser, though not a big deal, does take more time and is more difficult to use. It also needs a true line of sight, and in a few shots every round this isnt an option without having to walk around a fair bit. I will never go back.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.