• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Laser Range Finder Or GPS??????

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Just my observation on GPSs. I play a Troon course a few times a year that has the latest GPS systems built into the carts. You put two carts side by side and the two will have different yardages to the green. I've seen the difference as high as 11 yards.

I have a high end gps on my boat and I venture to offshore wrecks to fish and one day the gps puts you right on the spot.....another day you have to pattern serarch for a few minutes to get on top of an object the size of an army tank. Gps is only as accurate as the government lets it be on any given day.

Which ones? Using the SG5, iGolfNeo, and the 2.5, I've never seen a difference between more than one yard.

Bignose

Oct 23, 2006
How long until two manufacturers get together and make a combo unit? I would have to think that that would easily be the best of both worlds. You look through the sight to find the distance to the flag on that day, and the GPS tells you the distance to the front, middle, and back on the display right there. The technology has to be there soon where it would be reasonably economic to combine both in one unit.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
How long until two manufacturers get together and make a combo unit? I would have to think that that would easily be the best of both worlds. You look through the sight to find the distance to the flag on that day, and the GPS tells you the distance to the front, middle, and back on the display right there. The technology has to be there soon where it would be reasonably economic to combine both in one unit.
Wouldn't surprise me if Bushnell doesn't do this real soon. They recently got into the Golf GPS market and partnered with iGolf for use of their database. Not sure it seems likely they did so to sell GPS's because they cost more than the iGolf and only have Front, Back and Center of the green. So if that was their intent, they likely went about it the wrong way because the second someone goes to the iGolf site via Bushnell they will likely wonder why they would be happy with just Front, Back and Center at a higher cost.

Seemed like it might be a method to test the market, and the logical option and what I first thought is precisely what you mention. I would buy one, and I further think with that set up they would only require front, back and center and allow the range finder for any other options.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.