• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Late Round Heroics!

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
Oh man. Good stuff.

Temps got into the mid 50's today, so MGP and myself went and played 18.

Goal for the round was to break 80 for the first time in a long long time. And the first time at my Club.

Course was a little on the soggy side, but not terrible.

kind of a weak front nine, had to scramble like mad to shoot a 40 (both nines are par 36)

at the turn, we agreed that it was time to start playing some golf.....first tee shot off 10 I lose in a hazard left...but end up only bogeying....

anyway, after 3 putting on the 14th for bogey from 20', i'm +3 on the back, and furious with 16,17,18 being the toughest stretch of holes on the course.

the 15th is a 315 yard par 4 that plays a 90* dogleg. The wind was playing to my advantage, so I haul off on one, and drive the green...have about 35' left for eagle. first put goes about 7 feet past, but i hit a slippery left to righter for bird.

16th is a 220 yard par 3, playing into the wind. I choke down on a 4w and hit it really well, and hit it to about 6 ft. drain the putt for bird.....only about the 3rd or 4th time I've ever made back to back birds...been playing for 11 years.

17th is a 420 yard par 4, big dogleg to the right, with a very elevated green, with 3 huge tiers, pin in the middle tier hit a great 4w a little over the corner, and have 155 left from the fairway. hit a perfect 7i to about 4 ft, and am still underneath the hole. drain my putt for 3 in a row.
MGP was keeping score, and I can tell what he's thinking, because I'm thinking the same thing....I tell him 'don't you dare say a thing!' (as in, acknowledging i've just birdied 3 in a row)

18th is a 420 yard par 4, wraps around to the left a little, with an elevated tee and creek running along the left. smoke the drive maybe 5 yards to the right of the fairway....leave myself about 155 into the green, hit a great 7 iron that starts at the right side as i plan, and draws back into the green, and releases to about 6 feet from the pin, with an uphill putt. drain it.

4 in a row, on the hardest stretch of holes on the course, to shoot a -1 (35) on the back, and +3, 75 total.

i'll never do that again...lol.

MGP

Clubmaking Ho
Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2007
He wasn't playin' no lady ball though... :laugh:

We both started playing better about the same time. The last 7 holes are about as good a stretch of golf as I've seen him play. It was a pleasure to watch and even inspired me to hit a few good shots on an otherwise forgettable day for me.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
My rounds are usually opposite lol. Start out on fire, blow up around 13 or 14, then par the last couple cuz I'm playing safe. :D

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Wow!!!! What a round! And, the year is young! Those new irons must really be performing. Let's hope it's not just the "honeymoon" syndrome.

Was it your idea not to play the "girls" ball? Or, did MGP tell you he'd trash talk you through the round if you did?:prop::prop:

🔥 Latest posts