• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Launch Monitor Numbers, Your thoughts

I got this from another site

with a 170 ball speed my optimal launch angle should be 11 to 12 with 2500 to 2700 rpm's.

With a 180 ball speed 9.5 to 10.5 launch angle and 2350 2600 rpm's.

My launch angle might be just a hair low. Now what new shaft? I kind of like the feel of stock Tp shaft thats in there right now would a VS proto have a similar feel but raise the launch angle 1-2 degrees. Its not like I can find A VS in a R7 425 8.5* TP and try it out.

The key word I see is "simulator" and not launch monitor. From my experience, golf store sims are junk. I've compared them side-by-side with launch monitors and the LMs are typically much more accurate, with the simulators being much more generous with numbers (SS, Distance). Get on a real launch monitor with spin rate if you want some accurate numbers.

This is a great point. The Golf USA sim here is a POS. You can take a half-assed swing and register 4300 rpm and SS of 104. Then, you rip at one and get 1650rpm and 95mph SS.

WTF is that? :hunter:

The day they opened, I pounded about a buckets worth of balls through the net into the drywall behind the sim. Used the FT-3 and the HiBore. :laugh:

R35

last time i was at golf galaxy and tried there sim. i hit a D2 and i have my GF as a wittness , i hit three balls in a row in the 450yd range. as much as it would be cool to be able to do that i can not. so i put the D2 back and went looking at tother stuff :)

But you love the Habs, so it's quite obvious that you have garbage tastes. :D

R35

I'm afraid I have passed this trait on to my boy also. This kind of father - son bonding is what being a kid from Canada are all about. Sure wish I could have done it when I was young.

From last weekend :D

Sorry to get off topic... back to garbage shafts now pls ;)
IMG_2215.jpg
IMG_2222.jpg
IMG_2223.jpg

Was at Nevada Bobs saturday & both simulators were being used the entire time I was there. 2 guys who I think were growing roots & were just hitting ball after ball. I wanted to try it out but didn't have all damn day to wait. One of the guys was about 60 or so & was using a driver..didn't look to see what model...& he was really cranking em out there. Every single shot would sail just past the 100yd marker & then roll to about 150:laugh:

One of the guys was about 60 or so & was using a driver..didn't look to see what model...& he was really cranking em out there. Every single shot would sail just past the 100yd marker & then roll to about 150:laugh:

Wi-Golfer

I don't remember seeing you there.... :laugh:

I'm afraid I have passed this trait on to my boy also. This kind of father - son bonding is what being a kid from Canada are all about. Sure wish I could have done it when I was young.

From last weekend :D

Sorry to get off topic... back to garbage shafts now pls ;)

Please paint your son's room grey and let him choose his future endeavors. Forcing these slanted views on him is not good for his ego.

You don't want him on the couch explaining to some shrink his issues for $150 an hour. :laugh:

And start him off with steel in his cutoff clubs. If I see him log in with the nickname of "Pershing", you're gonna hear from me personally. :D

R35

Okay, let's throw these numbers into Trajectoware Drive and see what we come up with.

If we assume the numbers are correct, and assume a smash factor around 1.5 (Trajectoware does), then with a ball velocity of 173.5 and launch angle of 10* (your averages from the data you provided) in order to "only" hit the ball 279 you would have to have a backspin of 4000 or so. Trajectoware doesn't handle shots over 4000 rpms.

With those ball speeds with launch angle the carry yardage doesn't make any sense.

If you have a 173.5 ball speed and a 10* launch angle with 4000 RPMS you get a carry distance of 279 yards according to TWare Drive. On the other side of the ball, in order to acheive these numbers, you would have a 119.2 clubhead speed, a -.6* angle of attack and a dynamic loft of 12.1*.

Not really realistic by any means.

What degree driver were you hitting? It doesn't say in your sig. I bet it's not a 13* spin-monster though. :laugh:

Okay. If we believe the velocity. And we believe the launch angle, what is the "optimum" setup for carry yardage in regards to spin and AoA and dynamic loft.

Leaving the velocity at 173.5 and the launch angle at 10* we can vary the spin.

The MAXIMUM carry TWare shows is 289.9 yards with an angle of descent of 39.3* given the above parameters as a constant. The spin would have to be 2900 in order to produce this carry.

On the other side in TWare, your clubhead speed is 118mph. Your angle of attack is +2.1* and your dynamic loft is 8.8*.

In conclusion, if we ONLY believe that your ball speed is correct then the carry numbers make no sense. Someone with 173mph ball speed is going to carry the ball much further than 275 (at that launch angle) "by accident". Even with a totally incorrect setup if indeed he is producing that ball-speed with that setup.

I don't think I would change anything in your equipment based on these numbers. If the ball-speed and launch angles are close to correct, there isn't an attainable, "realistic", spin number to carry the ball as SHORT as the simulator said.

Check out an LM such as a Vector or Zelocity of some sort to get your true, real, ball-speed, launch angle, spin and carry numbers. Much easier to optimize your setup with it.

Okay, let's throw these numbers into Trajectoware Drive and see what we come up with.

If we assume the numbers are correct, and assume a smash factor around 1.5 (Trajectoware does), then with a ball velocity of 173.5 and launch angle of 10* (your averages from the data you provided) in order to "only" hit the ball 279 you would have to have a backspin of 4000 or so. Trajectoware doesn't handle shots over 4000 rpms.

With those ball speeds with launch angle the carry yardage doesn't make any sense.

If you have a 173.5 ball speed and a 10* launch angle with 4000 RPMS you get a carry distance of 279 yards according to TWare Drive. On the other side of the ball, in order to acheive these numbers, you would have a 119.2 clubhead speed, a -.6* angle of attack and a dynamic loft of 12.1*.

Not really realistic by any means.

What degree driver were you hitting? It doesn't say in your sig. I bet it's not a 13* spin-monster though. :laugh:

Okay. If we believe the velocity. And we believe the launch angle, what is the "optimum" setup for carry yardage in regards to spin and AoA and dynamic loft.

Leaving the velocity at 173.5 and the launch angle at 10* we can vary the spin.

The MAXIMUM carry TWare shows is 289.9 yards with an angle of descent of 39.3* given the above parameters as a constant. The spin would have to be 2900 in order to produce this carry.

On the other side in TWare, your clubhead speed is 118mph. Your angle of attack is +2.1* and your dynamic loft is 8.8*.

In conclusion, if we ONLY believe that your ball speed is correct then the carry numbers make no sense. Someone with 173mph ball speed is going to carry the ball much further than 275 (at that launch angle) "by accident". Even with a totally incorrect setup if indeed he is producing that ball-speed with that setup.

I don't think I would change anything in your equipment based on these numbers. If the ball-speed and launch angles are close to correct, there isn't an attainable, "realistic", spin number to carry the ball as SHORT as the simulator said.

Check out an LM such as a Vector or Zelocity of some sort to get your true, real, ball-speed, launch angle, spin and carry numbers. Much easier to optimize your setup with it.

Augster the numbers I gave were from two of the better drives at the end of the session I had on the simulator after I was warmed up that I remember. The ball flight didn't look like it was balloning so I don't think I was getting too much spin. The simulator might be a POS, who knows, the simulator did seem right on yardage with my 9 iron 145-150 yrds but my 6 iron seemed a little long around 200 yrds total distance. You are from MN no? Where can I go to get on a decent LM?

Yeah, I'm in MPLS. Fricking cold for this time of year. A lot of years I spend NBA All-star weekend playing golf in Des Moines. Not happening this year I don't think.

All the Golfsmiths in the MPLS area are now equipped with Vector Pro's in case you were to come up this way. There is a PCS certified clubfitter in New Ulm. You could give him a call and see if he has an LM. Just a thought.

It looks like a Dick's Sporting Goods is now open in Rochester if that would be an easier drive than coming into MPLS proper. I'd give them a call first to see what they have for LM's before making the drive though.

"with a 170 ball speed my optimal launch angle should be 11 to 12 with 2500 to 2700 rpm's.

With a 180 ball speed 9.5 to 10.5 launch angle and 2350 2600 rpm's.
"

Sorry, but there are problems with these numbers full stop, not just ball speed. The worlds long driving guys rarey get below 3000 rpm, even with 5 degree drivers, they are ecstatic when they do.

I would go on another monitor.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redlight

Top Posters

1. 21,781

Rockford35

2. 17,422