• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Le Wedge de Gap

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast

Deep in thought
Sep 6, 2005
I've found the lob wedge very useful as well for sand shots that you want to get really high to land softly. Without so much bounce you can really get the ball to pop out high and a fair amount of spin, and not have to worry about whacking it over the green.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I use my 51* wedge all the time, more than my PW I would say. It's great for a lower chip shot too.

My 56* wedge is still my favorite club though.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Ravenous Bugblatter Beast said:
I wish they'd sell sets of 4 through gap wedge.
If you get fitted, the sky is the limit on sets. I got 4-PW, GW, SW in my set for cheaper than 3-PW off the shelf. Next time I buy a set it will not have a 4i as well. The will order whatever you want, and it is usually on 10 days max on delivery if you are Right Handed.

Although you lose resell value by not having a 3 and 4.

Personally, my 52* Gap Wedge is the most used club in my bag next to my putter. It is also my prefered chipping club.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
Rockford35 said:
16* is for strictly using it out of the sand. Standard for a 60* wedge is 12* and low bounce is 8.

It makes a huge difference. Try hitting a 16* bounce wedge off the turf. You'll be hitting skulled shots all day.

A more middle of the road bounce of 10* will suffice for anyone that thinks they can handle a 60* wedge. More pros say that the lob wedge is the hardest club to use in the bag. I agree. Sure, some of you will say that you hit yours well, but I bet if you switched clubs for various shots that you use your lob for, you'd score better in the long run.

R35

Rock, I tend to disagree re the 60. I know that's the conventional wisdom, and it's probably true, but I feel like it doesn't apply to me (perhaps I'm superior).

Particularly on the Coast, where we tend to have very wet, heavy sand, a low'ish bounce 60* is significantly preferable (in my mind, and in the minds of many others that play out here) for playing out of the sand.

mont86

Supporting Member
Nov 5, 2005
SiberianDVM said:
Agreed. My GW is 50*, so it's a must have. My 60* LW, that betraying bitch, is gonna take a time-out in the closet for a while.

I love this!
:biglol:

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
PW - 48
SW - 56/12
LW - 60/10

That's what I know about my wedges. I've been chipping a foam ball off of my carpet (to my parents' dismay) and I like the bounce versus the non-bounce SW and LW I have.

I had no idea so many people used the gap-wedge. What club do you guys not carry to make room for the extra wedge? Or are we just anti-lob-wedge? I can see why..

Lob wedges are rather evil. You have to swing at a pretty good clip to move the ball anywhere, which means if you blade it, you're in deep, deep shit. A nice lob wedge shot is unmatched though.

ualtim

Carrollton, TX
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2005
Country
SilverUberXeno said:
I had no idea so many people used the gap-wedge. What club do you guys not carry to make room for the extra wedge?

I bought a 58* wedge and took out my 56* and 60*. The 58* is kind of a nice trade off that allowed me to carry an extra hybrid to solve a distance gap at the other end of the club spectrum and the GW to cover the PW to SW gap.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Silver said:
Rock, I tend to disagree re the 60. I know that's the conventional wisdom, and it's probably true, but I feel like it doesn't apply to me (perhaps I'm superior).

Particularly on the Coast, where we tend to have very wet, heavy sand, a low'ish bounce 60* is significantly preferable (in my mind, and in the minds of many others that play out here) for playing out of the sand.

Rock - you know my feelings on this one, I agree with Silver :D

Davebud

Crackhead Zebra
Oct 31, 2005
ualtim said:
I bought a 58* wedge and took out my 56* and 60*. The 58* is kind of a nice trade off that allowed me to carry an extra hybrid to solve a distance gap at the other end of the club spectrum and the GW to cover the PW to SW gap.

That sort of solves it too, thats just good think there.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
VtDivot said:
Rock - you know my feelings on this one, I agree with Silver :D

WOOT! I thought I was just an anomoly. :miz::miz::miz: (one for each MP series wedge in the bag)

As for what we don't carry...

I have:

Diver
3W
3H
4H
5-P (6 clubs)
GW
SW
LW
Putter

I don't feel like I'm missing anything. 3W is 230 - 275 for me (yes, that's a big range, but hey, I suck), 3H is 210 - 230...so distance gaps are filled.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Silver said:
WOOT! I thought I was just an anomoly. :miz::miz::miz: (one for each MP series wedge in the bag)

As for what we don't carry...

I have:

Diver
3W
3H
4H
5-P (6 clubs)
GW
SW
LW
Putter

I don't feel like I'm missing anything. 3W is 230 - 275 for me (yes, that's a big range, but hey, I suck), 3H is 210 - 230...so distance gaps are filled.

similar bag - except I carry a 4 iron instead of a hybrid, and of course I only play Cleveland wedges ;)

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
SilverUberXeno said:
I had no idea so many people used the gap-wedge. What club do you guys not carry to make room for the extra wedge? Or are we just anti-lob-wedge? I can see why..
I got rid of my 5i. It was between that and my 3W. This year, I may do away with my 3W in the beginning. I really use both of them so little. There is only a couple instances all of last year where I really could have used my 5i, and they were on the same course. Next time I play there I will have a 5i in my bag in place of my 3w, which I did not use on that course.

I do agree that if not careful the LW can be a very costly club, but there are very distinct uses with this club mainly in relation to the Low Bounce that I cannot accomplish as well with any other clubs. The key for me is knowing when not to pull it out of the bag. The smarter I get and as I get more practice, the more strokes it saves me. Initially, I would find ways to give the strokes back by using it in the wrong places.

As far as my Gap Wedge, I would part with any club in my bag outside of my putter.

🔥 Latest posts