• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lead Tape on Putter advice

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
I have a Odyssey white hot #4 putter. I cut it down a couple years back from 35" to 33 1/4" as it I lean way over and it would get caught in my windshirt and cost me strokes on occasion, that and the fact that I would grip down off of the grip and on the metal. Anyways, my putting has alway been pretty decent, I probably will never switch putters, but I noticed that it fell of slightly each year since cutting it off, I thought maybe it was due to my move and change of greens but after 2 1/2 years, I'm starting to think that is not the case. I thought I might toy around with adding a little of the weight back to see what happens. I've never really worked with lead tape and want to get an idea of the best way of going about this to test out. I read some of the posts about adding lead powder to the shaft and such, but though I would toy around with tape before doing something like this, to see how it feels. Any suggestions on the best places to add this to the shaft or the head to experiment?

I have a white hot #4 which is a flange putter. If you click on the link below and click on the #4 it gives you a view of the front a back. I am not sure I want to put weight over the sight line as it may be distracting, will it cause adverse reaction by putting on the back, top or on the shaft in some way. Maybe a small piece on each of the sides? Any advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

http://www.odysseygolf.com/en.PRODUCTS.WHITEHOT.html

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I used to have that exact putter. My solution was new putter, sorry.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
You answered your own question. It is an experiment, so experiment.
Start with a 1 inch piece right behind the sweet spot then add or move it around until you find a comfortable spot.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
I have an Anser that I covered the sole with tape. Worked well I thought.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
The weight should ideally be added under the grip,so ask a pro to re-grip it and to add the weight back you lost

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
I think I may start by adding too the head so that it still remains heel toe balanced. I just got back from picking up the tape and the clubmaker mentioned that he recommended on the sides or to the left and right of the sightline.

Adding towards the top of the grip is something I will play around with as well, and what dave. menitioned makes sense, as that is where I removed the weight from the shaft, so it would make sense to do so to get the original feel back.

I actually just started gripping my own clubs this last year. Dave, or anyone else know of a way or something to use to isolate the weight to the top of the shaft prior to replacing the grip. I know the powder will basically run to the bottom.

Just FYI, I did find from the clubmaker that Ping will actually model shaft length, swing weight to your specifications, therebye keeping the balance. They do make A Ping model very similar to my putter (probably because I believe they came up with the design with the Anser), although I don't think I will be replacing my putter, I am kind of fond of it as it has really served me well. Just worth mentioning. He said he did not believe that Odyssey is quite as diverse in their allowing for modifications.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
When you remove the old tape. Add the same amount of lead tape as the shaft that was removed.
Apply the lead tape around and down the shaft, retape and install the grip.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
obagain said:
When you remove the old tape. Add the same amount of lead tape as the shaft that was removed.
Apply the lead tape around and down the shaft, retape and install the grip.
Thanks!!!
That is kinda what I thought would be the best way, but wanted to make sure

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Well after toying around with it last night, and trying many different ways, it seems as though I got the best feel by simply counter-balancing for the weight that I cut off for the shaft, plus maybe a little more. I should be able to test it out on the course today and tomorrow, as there is decent weather expected south of us, and I planned in advance when I saw the forcast. I actually just wrapped the strip around the top just below the grip end. If it doesn't peel off, I think I will just leave it that way till I have to replace the grip. I have to replace the grip about every year anyways because I use a Oversized Winn, and it wears pretty fast mainly from pulling it out of the bag.

Thanks for all the helpful informationl.

obagain

Used club guru
Mar 29, 2005
If it is on the outside of the grip, put a piece of cloth tape over it and it will feel better and last longer.

OP
P

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
Just wanted to extend my thanks for the responses. I regripped the putter today with the lead tape. I actually made it a little heavier than before cutting it down because it just felt better. I added 12 swing weights, when I only cut off 10.5, so 3 feet of lead tape to the top of the shaft about 1/2 way down where the grip goes. Worked out well. It also did it 1/2 way down because it made the top a little thicker than the bottom which was nice. I also went to a more durable Ping grip so I wouldn't have to replace it as much as the Winn. They would get worn once a year just from taking it out of the bag.

Thanks again!!!

🔥 Latest posts