• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lead Tape...questions and myths answered

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
ps I hope that doesn't sound like I am dissing another guys club.This is always worse than calling a guys wife a fat pig munter,this is easy to deal with,but critize his driver......................

I like the 983 as well, problem is that it has a closed face...I cant deal with that...or someone calling my wife a fat pig munter (whatever that is)
icon10.gif

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I like the 983 as well, problem is that it has a closed face...I cant deal with that...or someone calling my wife a fat pig munter (whatever that is)
icon10.gif

I'm 99.9% sure Titleist doesn't make any driver with a closed face.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm 99.9% sure Titleist doesn't make any driver with a closed face.

I thought that too, but i read it somewhere reputible like, another forum, I could be mistaken...i hope i am actually

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
I thought that too, but i read it somewhere reputible like, another forum, I could be mistaken...i hope i am actually

Well, one of us is wrong that's for sure. I hope it's you too. :)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Moving weights on the R7 does make a difference on ball flight because you're moving weight but remember, you're not adding any weight and thus changing the swing weight.

If I take my 2gr weight from the heel and swap it with a 10g from the toe then I'm moving a considerable amount of weight. Heel/toe difference between config 1 and config 2 would be 16gr. To get that kind of delta using tape you would need to really load up the heel and you would certainly feel the 8 swingweights that were just added.

For the record, I'm an R7 user and swear by the ball flight thru weight configuration. I'm also only days away from playing with lead tape on my putter...

I had the R7 for a year and a half. Same thing as lead tape, just more weight can be added in a smaller area. I set mine up draw with a 4-10-10-2 combo. Nuetral with a 2-10-10-2 combo. Now by adding the 4 I was merely Implementing an addition of 2grams of weight in the heel. Same as the strip of lead tape is doing on a regular driver, adding swingweight and helping to turn it over easier.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
I just want to clarify my point,adding lead can effect fade and draw on a driver,some more than others due to design (it was easy on a persimmon),and it can of course add swing weight,but adding it to mess with cog imho,just doesn't work,its a placebo,unless you add so much you end up screwing with millions of dollars of r+d and the club will do all sorts of things.When guys try adding it to irons to effect cog I just wander whats going on in their heads.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Just my 2 cents from the experiment I tried for changing my swingweight to slow down and toning down my backswing. I put the tape towards the heel in the middle of the back of the driver. According to my understand, this would promote a draw. I will simply say, it had very little impact on ball flight. Further, as expected, every time I slow down my backswing I tend to fade or slice the ball on occasion. Which in fact is what happened.

On the other hand, I think I did accomplish exactly what I set out to do. By adding and feeling the weight on the club, my backswing is much better. I even had people I regularly play with that it was very noticable, and looked to be a good speed and length. It was also reflective in my shots. I doubt I would put much merit in the effect of putting the tape towards the heel to promote a draw, as my shot pattern was no different. But then again, that was not my intention in do so. I figured it had to go on the club head somewhere, that seemed as good a place as any.

nsherman2006

Jan 4, 2005
The 983K is definitely draw biased, i'm not sure if it has a closed face, but it is internally weighted to promote a draw

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
LOL, I hate being wrong but I hate closed faces more....
icon6.gif

This is what the guys at Titleist have to say so you don't need to worry about the face being closed. But it does mean you are wrong. lol.

Thank you for contacting Titleist!

All Titleist drivers and fairway woods are true square face clubs. We have
never offered an open or closed faced driver or fairway wood.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Dimmick
Titleist Consumer Relations

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
This is what the guys at Titleist have to say so you don't need to worry about the face being closed. But it does mean you are wrong. lol.

Thank you for contacting Titleist!

All Titleist drivers and fairway woods are true square face clubs. We have
never offered an open or closed faced driver or fairway wood.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Sincerely,

Jeremy Dimmick
Titleist Consumer Relations

Thats cool, i got the same email about a day ago...i just needed to know. I hate being wrong to though, but its nice to know that at least one company won't make clubs with a closed face. I was checking out a wilson, their new one, and the site showed the spec as 2* closed! Thats just out of control in my book. Thanks for the info though DaveE!

🔥 Latest posts