• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lead tape....

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
So I re-re built my MP29s, and even with 110g steelfiber shafts and a LOT of tungsten in the tips, the "b weight" heads still come out a bit light, and the wheights are just a bit off from club to club. Do I let it go and play em, or add a bit of lead tape to the back of the heads the get em right? They are so sexy I don't wanna mess em up with the tape, but the wheight is really messing with my head. What to do.....

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Have you hit them? I’d you do and they work go with it.

How far off are the weights? I’m like you, I’d hate to mess up the look with lead tape. Is it an issue that you can’t feel the head thru the swing?

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
MP29's were one of the 'prettiest' Mizzy's ever produced. Much prettier than the 14's, 11's, etc. However, no one knows the history of and the playability of the 29's unless they have played them. And... in today's world of young flat-bellies who have to bag the latest and most expensive... few have played them. IMHO, a true blade iron with lead tape plastered on the back exudes an experienced and good player. Few can even feel 1 or 2 swingweights differences. For me, it's mental. Every iron I own has been swingweighted and I know right where I want them. If it takes some lead tape... well worth it to know in my feeble old mind the swingweight is where it's "supposed" to be. Slap on the lead tape. "Roll" it on with the plastic handle of a toothbrush so the edges are thinned out. Then give it a few weeks to begin oxidizing and going from bright silver to a bland gray. If you keep iron covers on the clubs, use that plastic toothbrush handle to inflict your own "bag chatter" on the lead tape. Needs to show some age and wear. Just like with us old geezers... the more scarred and beat up... the more aged and worn... it exudes experience and unbelievably high levels of intelligence! (Well, maybe I could have deleted that last sentence!)

OP
jhmeg2

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
MP29's were one of the 'prettiest' Mizzy's ever produced. Much prettier than the 14's, 11's, etc. However, no one knows the history of and the playability of the 29's unless they have played them. And... in today's world of young flat-bellies who have to bag the latest and most expensive... few have played them. IMHO, a true blade iron with lead tape plastered on the back exudes an experienced and good player. Few can even feel 1 or 2 swingweights differences. For me, it's mental. Every iron I own has been swingweighted and I know right where I want them. If it takes some lead tape... well worth it to know in my feeble old mind the swingweight is where it's "supposed" to be. Slap on the lead tape. "Roll" it on with the plastic handle of a toothbrush so the edges are thinned out. Then give it a few weeks to begin oxidizing and going from bright silver to a bland gray. If you keep iron covers on the clubs, use that plastic toothbrush handle to inflict your own "bag chatter" on the lead tape. Needs to show some age and wear. Just like with us old geezers... the more scarred and beat up... the more aged and worn... it exudes experience and unbelievably high levels of intelligence! (Well, maybe I could have deleted that last sentence!)

They really are pretty , you're right. When I got them I used head covers to protect from bag chatter, but became a pita. They don't have much chatter on them. And swing weights are not off by much from club to club, but the wedges are heavier (common) and the MP29s are B weight... I'd like to use the SM8s but then I have a gap so I need to use the AP2 50*. Or, I can use Cleveland 588 wedges (52, 56, 60) but then yardage suffers a bit (SM7s are heavier and less loft). Here are the weights, I think I'd like to be about 5 points heavier...

MP29s
4 C4.5
5 C5
6 C4
7 C5.5
8 C5
9 C5.5
P C4.5
52 C7.5
56 C9.5
60 D0
AP2
50 C9.5
SM7
54 D0
58 D5.5

Attachments

• 1603830488575.jpg
    1603830488575.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 120

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
They really are pretty , you're right. When I got them I used head covers to protect from bag chatter, but became a pita. They don't have much chatter on them. And swing weights are not off by much from club to club, but the wedges are heavier (common) and the MP29s are B weight... I'd like to use the SM8s but then I have a gap so I need to use the AP2 50*. Or, I can use Cleveland 588 wedges (52, 56, 60) but then yardage suffers a bit (SM7s are heavier and less loft). Here are the weights, I think I'd like to be about 5 points heavier...

MP29s
4 C4.5
5 C5
6 C4
7 C5.5
8 C5
9 C5.5
P C4.5
52 C7.5
56 C9.5
60 D0
AP2
50 C9.5
SM7
54 D0
58 D5.5
Have you switched shafts in the 588's, the AP2, and the SM7's? If not, are you sure your swingweight scale is calibrated? Standard swingweight for the SM7's should be D5. The AP2, D2. The 588's, D4. I have trouble seeing the 5.5 difference between the two SM7's... if they're stock.
I try to keep my irons in the D0 to D2 range. Karsten built most of the Eye 2's and Eye 2+'s at about C9. I've got lead tape plastered on my Eye 2's and +'s. My iBlades have the KBS Tour shafts and they spec at D1.
Just seems as if you are light all the way through.. except for the 58 degree SM7.

OP
jhmeg2

jhmeg2

Sep 16, 2011
Hancock, Wisconsin
Country
The MP29s have Steelfiber i110, the 588s have Martix program 95, the AP2 and SM7s have steelfiber i95. Thinking of getting the i110 for the 588s if thats what wedges I go with...

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.