• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

"leave of absence"

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
So I've posted on here a few times complaining about how bad my swing has gotten. The s***k. But it doesn't take long for me to get over it and get back playing. Well a few weeks ago I was spending a good amount of time on the range and felt good about my game. Went and played in a tournament and lost it. Just awful. I thought maybe it just wasn't my day. So I went back out a few days later and a couple of beers and was loose and not under any pressure. Well after the first hole my swing just collapsed. Sh**king everything or at best hitting it really fat. I can honestly say I have NEVER hit the ball this poorly, even when I started playing. I went from shooting mid-high 70's to probably not even breaking 100 within a week. I have decided that I am just going to step away and not swing a club or have anything to do with golf for the next month or so. I really enjoy the game because it has been a helpful outlet in my life will all the things I have going on and I know I don't want to make the mistake and just say "I quit" Although I am under an intense amount of stress right now in my life I still don't think stress can make me swing THAT bad. Has anyone ever just had their swing completely vanish? Do you think just stepping away and not even think about golf for a while is a good idea, or should I give in and get a series of lessons and just rebuild from scratch?

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
There's probably 1 thing you're doing wrong.

My bet, you're not maintaining your spine angle the swing. I'll bet one or two lessons and a qualified professional could have you back on your swing in no time. Unless you're physically unable to swing like you were, swings don't break down that far that fast.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
There's probably 1 thing you're doing wrong.

My bet, you're not maintaining your spine angle the swing. I'll bet one or two lessons and a qualified professional could have you back on your swing in no time. Unless you're physically unable to swing like you were, swings don't break down that far that fast.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if it was one small thing causing all this. I've had quick fix lessons before but then something else eventually goes wrong. That's why I'm thinking about just dropping the money for a series of lessons

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Don't let it beat you or get you down. My sxxxk comes from my weight moving to my toes during the swing. I try and anchor my weight on my back swing into my right heel and keep it there on the transition until it naturally comes off the ground.

Get a few lessons, I'm sure the pro will iron out those kinks. You'll be back to shooting in the 70s in no time at all.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Went through the "s" thing last season and the beginning of this one. Seemed to have worked out of it. Found my problem was setting up too open. I moved the right foot back just a couple inches, closing the stance, and it went away.

No one person's swing is the same. No one person's "fixes" are the same. You may have to try a number of things, or go see a teaching pro. Remember Harvey Pennik's... "Take one Asprin, not the whole bottle!" Don't push yourself further into confusion by trying too many fixes without consulting a good teacher.

Also, remember that even the best in the world have bad days. Didn't Rory shoot something like 6 over this past weekend? That's his living. We do this for "fun"??!!?? This can be a frustrating game. Sometimes, when struggling, I simply try to remind myself how blessed I am to be able to be out there. So many in this world will never have the opportunity to swing a golf club... no matter how good or bad they would swing it. Keep an optimistic attitude. Work through it. Tomorrow will be brighter!!!!

Fairwaysplitter3320

Recovering Equipment Ho...off the wagon again.
Staff member
Admin
Sep 7, 2013
Chapel Hill, TN
Country
Went through the "s" thing last season and the beginning of this one. Seemed to have worked out of it. Found my problem was setting up too open. I moved the right foot back just a couple inches, closing the stance, and it went away.

No one person's swing is the same. No one person's "fixes" are the same. You may have to try a number of things, or go see a teaching pro. Remember Harvey Pennik's... "Take one Asprin, not the whole bottle!" Don't push yourself further into confusion by trying too many fixes without consulting a good teacher.

Also, remember that even the best in the world have bad days. Didn't Rory shoot something like 6 over this past weekend? That's his living. We do this for "fun"??!!?? This can be a frustrating game. Sometimes, when struggling, I simply try to remind myself how blessed I am to be able to be out there. So many in this world will never have the opportunity to swing a golf club... no matter how good or bad they would swing it. Keep an optimistic attitude. Work through it. Tomorrow will be brighter!!!!
^^^this

ChrisLyons

Feb 5, 2013
Owingsville,Ky
Country
When I have trouble I start at square one. I start by chipping making sure to make clean contact. Then start pitching. Then I'll go to half and three quarter shots. Finally I'll start taking full swing and keep building till I'm swinging at my normal speed. Make sure you're not crowding the ball also. If you're setting up too close you could be reaching out farther in the down swing making contact on the hosel.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
When I have trouble I start at square one. I start by chipping making sure to make clean contact. Then start pitching. Then I'll go to half and three quarter shots. Finally I'll start taking full swing and keep building till I'm swinging at my normal speed. Make sure you're not crowding the ball also. If you're setting up too close you could be reaching out farther in the down swing making contact on the hosel.
I agree. Im going to take that approach but still going to walk away from.the game for a few weeks. I think ill go catch some reds down on the coast until then. Its a little too cold right now for golf anyways...esp when you're playing as bad as I am.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014

Thanks limp. After a little time off I plan to contact someone that can break down my swing and simplify it. Some might say I take golf too seriously but with my disability its about all I can do now and extremely thankful I can still play so that's why it gets to me. Most importantly I need to keep it fun and right now it just isn't fun, but ill stick with it. Im far from throwing in the towel.

OP
Queball915

Queball915

Jan 29, 2014
Well that was short lasted...got home from class and was sitting around bored. Even though it was cold as hell I.decided to go play. No shanks. Played well but to be honest the encouragement from you guys helped. Thanks.

🔥 Latest posts