• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lee Westwood back to his G10 driver

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
I noticed at the NedBank Challenge just gone that Lee Westwood was back to playing his trusty G10 driver.

Yep, the driver that stayed in his hands during the G15 range and from memory was reluctantly pried from his hands sometime in the G20 range, is back.

I suppose it's the dilemma of the sponsored pro. Having a club that is just 'perfect' for your needs, that helps you win tournaments and then your sponsors want you to play the newer model that don't feel comfortable with.

153976818.jpg

[old stock image]

Sssh. Don't tell Ping we've noticed ...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I'm still gaming the 12-year-old Ping i3's. I can't imagine any of the new were lined up being any better than those.

Louie_T07

Sep 19, 2008
Sarnia, ON
Country
Canada Canada
If you take a look in many pros bags and even trunks of their cars, you'll find several old clubs they just don't want to part with. There's a club Ho in us all!!

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
United States United States
Lee Westwood has a ton of clubhead speed and can hit it on the screws 85/100 times or something crazy. He probably really doesn't need the extra distance or forgiveness that modern (post max COR) drivers offer.

I'm not sure what year COR was maxed out but I wouldn't game anything with less than the max only because I'm not at PGA tolerances!

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Lee Westwood has a ton of clubhead speed and can hit it on the screws 85/100 times or something crazy. He probably really doesn't need the extra distance or forgiveness that modern (post max COR) drivers offer.

I'm not sure what year COR was maxed out but I wouldn't game anything with less than the max only because I'm not at PGA tolerances!
Is be willing to bet you hit an old Bertha just as far as a new one. For is hacks COR is relatively irrelevant, it's the oversize sweet spot and forgiveness on off center hits that matter to us.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
With all things being equal (shaft length, center contact, club head speed, etc.), maxed COR really makes a difference when it comes to ball speed.

Ball speed == More distance

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Westwood has always been less than enthused about changing his bag to the lastest and greatest. Westwood bagged Zing 2 irons through the I3's, through the ISI's, and clear up until the I5... or later.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
With all things being equal (shaft length, center contact, club head speed, etc.), maxed COR really makes a difference when it comes to ball speed.

Ball speed == More distance
As long as you hit the sweet spot. COR means jack on a hosel rocket or toe hit.

Members online

No members online now.