• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Left handed / right handed

EnglishGolfer

Talks a good game
Oct 3, 2005
A while back I posted a clip of me hitting left and right handed, the LH shots were generally very low fades/slices and a 5 iron went about 150 yards at best. Well I've had a couple more goes and I now hit a 5 iron 170yards but often with a bit of a pulled draw. The ball flight is good and I only hit right handed about 5-10 yards further. I'm seriously considering getting myself a cheap left handed set and seeing what handicap I can get as the old theory is that you should play the opposite way round to the hand that you write with, but the reasoning behind that escapes me.

I can't see me ever getting better right handed as I've been at the same level for almost 15 years and if anything I'm getting worse due to accumulating frustration. Would you do it? I might be able to get down to my present handicap within a couple of years and who knows, maybe get even lower!

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Don't know the answer to your question. Just wanted to mention that my wife plays LH, and if you choose to do so, be ready for the frustration of being able to find clubs to demo, and on wait times. At least in most areas we have been, there is a lot smaller selection. Instruction is another issue as some instructors seem to have a hard time adapting and you may find you get backwards advice at times.

Poe4soul

Feb 3, 2006
Too true on the club selections; especially on the scoring clubs - driver, wedges, and putters. The selection is slim and the lofts are limited. I’m having a hard time finding wedges right now in loft/bounce combination that suites my swing.

I haven't had the problem with the instruction with RH vs. LH but I have noticed that some of the general problems on instruction is due to the fact that I am RH'd and swing LH'd. Some of the general tendencies of a back hand dominant swing seam to be different than my front hand dominant swing.

Curious, are you going to putt right handed if you make the switch?

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
If I had the ability to play LH or RH I would carry my woods and putter as RH and my irons and wedges as LH and walk on as a single hoping to be thrown in with another group. Then I would like to see how long it took someone to bring it up. :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.