• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lehman v. Woosnam

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Reading the newspapers over the w/e I was very interesting in the apparently very divergent styles of the two captains.

Herr Langer, who did an immense job of captaining the last European team made some interesting comments. Who has come to seek his advice over the past few months? Woosnam, who played directly behind him last week at the Deutchebank? No, in fact Woosname hasn't spoken to him at all about the Ryder Cup, not one word over the last 2 years! Instead Lehman has been learning from the German's considerable expereince. Langer and Lehman are close friends and the American has made a point of picking the brains and immense Ryder Cup experience of the German.

Tom seems to be learning fast and he has taken his role very seriously. Already he is amking Suttons' role look laughable from 2004. Making sure that the US team bond, play togther, attend team talks etc. Even Woods seemed to have jumped on the Team USA bandwagon, travelling to the K Club despite several commitments.

What has Woosie done? Well he hasn't spoken to ANY of the potential wild card picks one way or another (outside Clarke and Westwood). He has not organised any team meetings, practice rounds etc. It strikes me that although he has a lot of experience himself, he has chosen to do things his way alone and consulted no-one else. Not Langer, Jacklin etc.

Now Woosnam's indifference strikes me as strange. On World rankings the US team has always been stronger than Europe. However as the last Ryder Cup showed, it is much more important to have a team that bonds well and plays for eachother than to have talented individuals. The mismatched Woods and Phail partnership sorta summed things up for the US. Lehman has certainly picked up on this. Whereas Woosnam seems to be relying on the fact that it will all happen on the day.

We shall see in a few weeks time. I guess the way the wild cards were picked has shown me a glimpse of what may come for Europe. I would be majorly pissed off if I was Bjorn, and the fact that Woosnam didn't contact him to explain his choice worries me. Strikes me as very arrogant and not the way a leader should lead. I am sure I do not know the whole story, but I always liked Woosnam up until now.

Dale

English Hacker...
Aug 12, 2006
UK
To be totally honest with you, I am so far not enthralled by Woosie. He seems a little withdrawn (certianly from an outside supporters perspective).

Lehman on the other hand seems to have installed a certian sense of team ethic onto the US team that I haven't noticed before. He seems willing to talk to the media, enthusiastic and more than ever I have noticed that he is talking about the European team in a very positive light. Usually You get the "I'll let them play their game and worry about our own" sentances, but he is more than open to say nice friendly positive things about his opposition. Kudos to the US team and their management so far.

Woosie just seems quiet. Maybe thats his plan - who knows, but in a couple of weeks we will see the results :) Game on and good luck to both teams, it should make compelling viewing.

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
Woosie doesnt exactly fill me full of confidence but I have to believe he knows what he's doing.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Well my thanks go out to Bernhard because we need all the damn help we can get...a class act!!:germanyfl

Clugnut

Gimme some roombas!
Aug 13, 2006
I think Bernhard is a heck of a guy, and did an outstanding job for team Europe last time. I think that Mr. Langer and Tom Lehman have a lot in common, and that their approachs will be the same. That's a good thing for the whole competition, and for our American team who, IMO needs all the help it can get. I mean, Brett Wetterich? C'mon!

Members online