• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lesson by Osmosis

Esox

Supporting Member
Aug 6, 2008
Today my eleven year old daughter had her first lesson with my old high school golf coach, a PGA professional and well known teacher of junior players here in Cheeseland. He was very impressed with her fundamentals. He made a minor grip change, two simple set up changes, and gave her one simple swing thought to work on for the next couple weeks.

I listened to him talk, and he explained to me what I should look for to make sure she implements these simple instructions. In the next week or so he's going to give her a short game lesson, and then it will be up to us work on the simple things he suggests until we think she's ready for another lesson.

It was amazing to me how easy it was for a good teacher to make himself understood to an eleven year old kid.

I graduated from high school 30 years ago and started thinking about the lessons he gave me oh so very long ago. After the lesson we went to our club and hit some balls and then played. She struggled a bit on the course at first as he predicted she might, but then started to get the feel and hit some fantastic shots.

I have been playing horribly this year. 91, 86, 86 my last three rounds, and quit due to rain twice during rounds that would have been near 90 . My confidence was shot and I had been thinking about a hundred things, hand position at the top, shoulder turn, lag, I've become too fat to play, blah, blah, blah. Today I went out after listening to him give my daughter concise and simple instructions and just made sure my alignment was good, my back swing was smooth and relaxed, and I swung through at the target.

Shot 77 from the 6,500 yard blue tees and missed two birdie putts inside six feet and had another roll right over the hole from about fifteen feet. I hit 11 of 14 fairways and 10 greens. Had one double after taking an unplayable after my only really bad drive of the day.

Aim at the target, take the club back smoothly, swing through to the target. Simple game really.

By the way, Spin Milled wedges absolutely rock, and the FT-i is really starting to come around. Can't wait for tomorrow.

Kevin

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Great to hear Esox. And glad you got to play a round with your daughter.

Sounds like he is a good instructor and that you both got some good out of it.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
"Simple" is the new black. ;)

I think I'm more envious that you got to play a round with your daugther than I am of your score. Before long she'll be winning the car keys and gas money off of you! :thumbs up:

Members online

No members online now.