• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

lesson VS result: RANT

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
so i had two lesson past week, and have 4 more next 4 weeks.

i have to say, i have not hit a single straight shot since my first lesson and my bad misses from pre-lesson swing performs better than my best swing after lesson.

i understand the concept, and why the coach was saying what he was saying, but my body just won't follow. after a range session trying to work on things i was thaught.. i went home mad as hell.

i am making better contact w/ the ball, but they are slicing. i think this is due to my coach wanting me to have my left thumb parallel to the shaft, using my body to release, and not my arms. it makes sense, but i just can't do it.

i am very frustrated right now. but i know i will eventually get it, so i need to take it like a man and suck it up.

alright i'm done...

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Welcome to the world of "you've got to get worse to get better". Sucks, don't it?

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
I'm in the midst of doing that same thing twofast, so don't worry, others are with ya.

Trust me, what you get to once you start getting better again, its well worth it. Last swing change I dropped down to a 1 hdcp from a 4. Now im working on getting it on the red side of par:).

Come join me:)

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
So when are playing again? :laugh: Where you taking lessons? You've been keeping this a secret haven't you? :)

You know this happens. It happened to me but I picked it up pretty quick. You missed my 1st round and few range sessions. All you saw was high 5Wood and 6iron laser at the stick for the 1st post-lesson swings. I gave up on Rick because he's teaching an arms swing that's way too prone to hooks and OTT moves. I'll take his fundamentals from the 1st lesson and go elsewhere. I'm actully thinking of hunting down that old nutjob from Triggs. "Joe Rags". He said he wants $20 for a lesson but I can probably talk him into half a grinder and a Coke.
icon10.gif
Plus he's got no watch, no concept of time (he still thinks it 1962) so I'll get a 2hr. lesson for next to nothing. All joking aside though, that old dude knows his stuff bigtime. He likes to whack me with his SW shaft but I respond to that stuff better than just talk.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
I don't know about some coaches. If they're scratch or better maybe they can help, but everyone is built differently and I think you can't just put "an assembly line" swing on everyone. I didn't get any better (still not that great) until I took the basics and put them to my limitations which are; lack of flexibility in back (fused vertebrae), large, short arms, etc. I found a way to make consistent contact and generate some club head speed (respectable). Then the coach I have now said my swing is basically sound and just got me to quit moving my head and get a better turn. I thought your swing looked very nice in the videos you've put up. Good luck. :D

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
twofast,

Try to be patient. If your swing had some "compenstations" in it from doing things incorrectly, the new move will feel extremely wierd and, coupled with the "compensation" that you had to make for the old bad move, will produce some pretty wicked shots.

I'll give you an example from the two things I've been working on:

1) I raise up out of my spine pretty bad on my backswing and I have been getting much, much better at that. However, since I am in a more correct top of the swing position and don't have to "drop" back down to the ball, it feels like I am going to hit the ball fat and now the raising up is just before impact and I have hit a few wicked skulls that I normally don't hit. As I get used to the new, correct top of swing position, I'll trust that I won't hit it fat and everything will be golden again. I know that I am on the right track because I birdied 5 of the 7 greens that I hit in regulation today from hitting some of the best irons I have ever hit. I did, however, hit several skulls and also surprised myself by flying a few greens (You don't shoot 79 with 5 birdies without really messing up some too).

2) Also, for a year and a half, my instructor had been telling me that he wants me to feel a bit more "laid off" at the top so that I won't cross the line and then have a tendency to hit smothered hooks. I have been a "shut faced" player for so long that achieving this is very hard for me. Being able to aggressively release my driver, fairway woods and long irons "scares" me because I tend hook the ball so badly. Over time, I began to aim to the right to guard against the hook but with the new move, if performed correctly, I hit the ball very straight. It looks like a "push" but in fact, I have hit the ball where I aimed. Once again, as I get used to the different feeling, things will work themself out.

Hang in there, you CAN do it.

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
thanks for the comments and encouragement.

funny thing is, i went through this road before when i had a set of lessons after few month later w/ same guy. i went out to the course and i think i was pretty furious about how the guy messed up my swing. i think soon after i got the taste of my first 80's.

i'm investing little more time w/ the new coach b/c i know there are some moves that are ingrained, and probably needs more time to correct it.

i understand the concept he's trying to convey, but my old swing is fighting w/ my new swing. so no wonder i get really bad results. just had to rant out my frustration.. i feel all better now.. beer is helping me out a bit though ;)

ez: i had one on thursday and one on friday. kinda happened that way. 45bucks a session, and he spends more than an hour w/ me. at seekonk driving range. we should probably get out early this week cuz i'll be out to NC this weekend. monday or tuesday is good. lmk.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
we do, but ez screens my phone all the time. i feel like a pimp calling my ho... :D

I screen for my boss. He's always trying to feck up my golf days!! :laugh:

Got a couple questions. Does this instructor speak english or could you translate? :) I wouldn't mind giving him a shot for a lesson or two.... Rick would be pissed if he saw it though I bet, lol. Whatcha up to BTW? I gotta hit balls or something this afternoon.

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
I screen for my boss. He's always trying to feck up my golf days!! :laugh:

Got a couple questions. Does this instructor speak english or could you translate? :) I wouldn't mind giving him a shot for a lesson or two.... Rick would be pissed if he saw it though I bet, lol. Whatcha up to BTW? I gotta hit balls or something this afternoon.

just because i'm korean, doesn't mean the instructor is korean. i rather speak english than korean anyways. hahaha.. however, i'll translate for yah.. no problem.. :D

you might've seen him at the range actually. pretty old guy. he prob. can't hit more than 150yds w/ his driver on a good day. but he gives lessons to bunch of people and so far he makes sense to me.

he's name is Ronnie Jansen. and yes.. Rick will be PISSSSSED if he saw you w/ him.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
It's not the dude who drives the Mercedes is it? Oh, and I mentioned the "translate" thing because I recalled you mentioning something about a guy at your church. I thought maybe you had found an instructor through there.

OP
twofast2s

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
It's not the dude who drives the Mercedes is it? Oh, and I mentioned the "translate" thing because I recalled you mentioning something about a guy at your church. I thought maybe you had found an instructor through there.

naw.. what mercedes? i think he uses all his lesson money for smokes and coffee. haha.. he's very chilled guy.

there are few scratch players at my church who gives lessons, but it's like 150/session or my dad's friend's playing lessons. He did give me one quick lesson at the range oneday though and i could immediately see results. but he said it was only temporary since we were getting ready tee off in 10 min :D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.