• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lessons killed my game... RIP Golf

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Interesting thread! About 15 years ago I started playing with a former college player who never was over par no matter what course we went to (usually far under par). He had the amateur record at Black Wolf Run at least a few years ago. He gave me lessons and my score went UP dramatically! He got transferred and so I didn't play with him anymore. I decided to build my own swing to what works, so over a span of a couple years started from the ground up and actually did lower my score to where I'm happy with my game. Guess what. I pretty much swing like he showed me! The problem was he gave me a crash course in everything at once and I couldn't concentrate on any of it. He was 100% right on what he was teaching but basically didn't know how to "build" it. When I got fitted by the Ping Pro I expected he'd pick my swing to pieces but he actually said he liked my swing. So my advice, find a pro who teaches you bit by bit and you'll be a much better golfer. If he doesn't give you too much to learn at once your score should improve slowly.

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
i've taken lessons from three different teachers.
the first was when i was too young to appreciate what he was trying to teach me, he also wasn't really that great of a golfer, pretty good, but i bet it'd be a good match me vs him now.

the second was in-store at a golf galaxy hitting into a net, the guy knew what he was talking about, but there's only so much you can learn hitting into a net 15 ft in front of you

both cases i reverted to my old swing and was playing decently, but finally my parents coaxed me into trying once again.

after two lessons i'm very anxious, he's had my compact my arms and swing with a drill where i hit 3/4 shots with headcovers in my armpits , he's trying to get me to use my torso moreso than just my arms which seems to be working pretty well.

the big difference is i'm working at it now, before i was looking for an overnight miracle cure, but now i realize i have to put in maybe 3x the amount of work he does teaching me this stuff for it to actually work.

cheers

OP
S

selly09

May 23, 2006
bang bang bang.... went an shot an 85, which included 9 pars and a birdie. I know that you don't want to hear my idle boasting but I can't honestly believe the difference the lessons have made.

In my head now I have a idea/feeling of how I want to swing the club, I believe that swing is essentially THE correct swing, not a self made swing which ''works'' to a certain degree.

In essesnce I think now I BELIEVE that I have the tools to go out there and play. As in any sport it's all about belief.

Cheers

Chris

🔥 Latest posts