• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lessons paying off...

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Okay, I started taking my lessons last October and have watched my game steadily improve. Case and point, prior to last October I had broken 90 all of two times in my ~3yrs of playing. Since then I've only had three rounds over 90!

Besides noticing a huge improvement in my consistency, and thus scoring, I've also picked up a ton of distance (almost two whole club lengths). Today though was the first time I had my swing speed checked since I took lessons. The last time I had my swing speed checked was about a year or so ago and my driver was coming in around 90, had a low of 87 and a one time max of 93. Today I measured about a dozen driver swings and had a low 98 and a max of 100. (I equaled the max of 100 with my 3W as well) I just can't believe I've picked up 8mph; I'm absolutely thrilled. I knew that I've been seeing significant distance improvements but it just blew me away to see these numbers. I had never had my 5 iron swing speed checked so I checked that one too and it came in at 88-90mph.

I still have a couple more lessons before I get cut loose for the year but I'm excited. My goal is to get to single digits by the end of the summer. I don't think that is too unreasonable as Saturday I went out in 41 and had left a couple on the greens (airaited (sp?) greens) so I'm completely confident that I have it in me!

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Way to go. I've yet to make that commitment but have worked dilegently on my own. At that rate you should easily get to singles playing the same course and setting up well for the tougher holes. Key for me was/is chipping. On any par 3, 4 or 5 I can get around the green if not on, it's chipping up there to make the par or even bogey that saves those from becoming doubles and triples, the #'s that ruin the card. Unfortunately I can't run off a few birdies to get strokes back, I have to stay solid par or bogey through the round to have a shot at sub 80.

Good luck man.

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Historically my problem is not my short game but rather my irons and getting off the tee. The biggest challange has always been following a solid drive with a solid iron shot; it was either one or the other but not both. :(

I dedicated myself to improving at the beginning of last year and I was convinced that I could do it myself. I practiced regularly and played more rounds than I ever had but I just wasn't improving so I sucked it up and scheduled some lessons. All that practicing without direction just ingrained bad habits.

I actually have the best of both worlds going right now because I have a pro helping me improve my swing and 1 handicap buddy that helps with my practice habits/routines.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Let me tell you, playing off 9 and playing off 1 are just totally different games. I struggle off the tee at times, hit wayward irons but it's keeping those holes from getting out of control that is key to get under a 10. Half par, half bogey is 9over. 1 double means another par needs to be made. Except for the one FW hole out eagle, all of my 70's rounds have been extremely boring. Tee shot in play, miss green, chip close, make putt. Do that 12 times, make a double on 1 hole and the rest bogies. Nothing dramatic, putting an FW wood or iron in play on tough driving holes. Going lower will take much more consistancy and a few more risks.

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Don't get me wrong, I have no illusions of becoming a low single digit capper by the end of summer. If I see 9.9 then, in my book, I hit my goal. :)

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
Biggest problem i have is my long game. That is the reason my handicap form tourneys has shot right up (its almost 3 right now, but it SHOULD come back down). I can literally two putt from anywhere, and as soon as greens speed up a little i start draining it from everywhere, but i just have to keep my long shots in the fairway, thats my BIGGEST problem. Try losing more than a dozen balls in 6 rounds when your a 1 handicap, it looks pretty bad... I just play the same ball all round and itll come right back down into the low 70s, just wayyy too many penalty strokes to do anything good right now.

Recently my game has gone downhill quite quickly, you could probly beat me right now chemboy:p But i gota get some stuff done with my coach and i havent practised much either, too much hw, somehow it snowed monday!?! and a new gf kinda restrict time (although the mrs. came golfing with me today, it was a nice relaxing round with her laughing at my hacking:p)

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
Nice job, Chemboy. To what do you attribute the increase in swing speed (which is pretty dramatic).

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Yeah...tell us about your lessons. What did they suggest?

Jules150

Aug 29, 2006
the increase in SS could come from an increase in confidence because you know you have a better swing. (plus just having a better swing you'll hit it farther).

OP
chemboy2

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
Nice job, Chemboy. To what do you attribute the increase in swing speed (which is pretty dramatic).

I just swing harder...:laugh:

Yeah...tell us about your lessons. What did they suggest?

I don't think any one thing could get me that large of an increase. I was losing an mph or two here and there. Here are things that I've changed and am working on:

1) I had a narrow, upright stance and he put me in a more "athletic" stance. (wider base with more knee flex)

2) Strengthened my right hand grip. (it was pretty weak when I first went in)

3) Slowing down my lower body and hold on to my wrist hinge. My lower body has a tendency to be WAY too fast. My hips would clear long before the clubhead was in the neighborhood of the ball. In an effort to compensate I would, subconciously, bow my right elbow and release my wrist hinge. At impact my hips would be wide open and my hands were several inches behind the ball!

These are the big three. Numbers 1 & 2 are now natural and just require a check from time to time. Number 3 on the other hand is probably the single set of issues that cost me the most yardage and is what I'm still working on the most. I do all my drills for this with a weighted club to help really set the muscle memory and add swingspeed. Control take away then some hinge and hold moves that bring my elbow and club into the "slot" and then release the right side into the impact position and hold, repeat... The thing is, I think I have a couple more mph in me! My hands are now just ahead of the ball at impact but I'd like to get them just a little farther up. Also, I tend to hold off the release of the club so I'm working on getting my right side through the ball and turning the club head over.

🔥 Latest posts