• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

lessons paying off?

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I had my 3rd lesson today from my new instructor, wow this guy knows his stuff. But I guess when you train under Ledbetter you'd have to? He tweeked my grip a bit more, had me straighten my right knee out a bit where I had it kicked in to much, and opened up my stance a bit and low and behold I was hitting my irons beautifully with a touch of a draw. Probably 8 out of 10 where almost perfect hits, and even the misses were close to where I wanted them to go, well, some were pretty ugly, :laugh:. At the end of my lesson I asked him if he could look at my driver swing since that's what I've been having the most trouble with. After a couple of changes to my alignment and strengthening my grip a bit I started hitting my driver straight as an arrow, or with a workable fade if I really tried to swing for the fences. The range at this course where he teaches is only 250 yards long, with woods at the end of it, and after a about 15 balls he walked over and asked me to switch to my 3 irons because I was knocking them deep into the woods, :laugh:.

I have a tee time set up for tomorrow and I can't wait! I can't remember being this excited about a round of golf in a long time. I really think I've turned a corner on my game. I know there are going to be bad rounds still in the future, tomorrow may even be one of them, but I now know that I CAN hit the ball well and straight, so at least I see the light at the end of the tunnel, :D

OP
mddubya

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Well, I played my round today with my new swing. It felt great when I executed it properly and produced good results. Unfortunately I couldn't or didn't do it every time. But I can tell with more time on the range working on ingraining it into my muscle memory it's going to work out fine. I played a course I've never played before and found out there are several hidden hazards you can't see from the tee box, :(. Not that I was going to shoot par, but I shot a 21 over par 93 as a result of putting a few balls in those hidden creeks and ponds. What kind of sadistic $OB puts a water hazard you can't see from the tee box, oh wait, we're talking about golf aren't we? :laugh: Anyway, the swing created some great shots when it all came together, I PURED a 4 iron on the 18th to land on the green about 15 feet away. But I love this course, it advertises itself as "The Best Purely Public Course in Mississippi", and I'd have to agree. It's kept up like most CC's and is lain out really nicely.

The Refuge | The Best Purely Public Golf Course in Mississippi!

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Glad to hear it. It's such a nice feeling when a few tweaks can make a difference. Gotta remember that the clubface is only a couple inches across. Slight errors across the span of 250+ yards really show.

Nice driver ;)

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
Happy times!!!!!:) Glad it's working out for you. Also got a chance to trace down the calender pic in your avatar. Too cool.

Well, I played my round today with my new swing. It felt great when I executed it properly and produced good results. Unfortunately I couldn't or didn't do it every time. But I can tell with more time on the range working on ingraining it into my muscle memory it's going to work out fine. I

I remember a quote from one of the PGA tour pros. He commented that is he played and practiced as much as most amateurs, 1-3 times a week, he would have troubles grooving his swing too. Sounds like you are patient with the progress. Best of luck and I am jealous. I just got done shoveling 12"+ of snow off deck and sidewalk.:(

BrandonM7

Nov 23, 2007
Don't get too good this early in the year - I was kind of looking forward to that Southeastern outing based on your recent posts of aggrevation. I can't go play with someone that's going to be all good and stuff.

cwo2lt

Mulligans-R-Us
Nov 6, 2007
I just got done shoveling 12"+ of snow off deck and sidewalk.:(

Just make sure the back of your left hand is facing the snowbank when you release the snow off the shovel. It will help this summer.:laugh:

🔥 Latest posts