• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lie angle question...Lyle? Rock? Anyone?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Yes, the Mizzy's are flatter. You know everytime I bend clubs I still get twisted with what is flatter and what is more upright ( the actual numbers)LOL. I just know when I get to the machine which direction I need to bend. I seldom think about what direction it actually is. I think they call that auto pilot LOL.

A 63* PW is indeed flatter than a 65* PW.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Dave,

The length of the shaft wont affect the actual lie angle measurement. The length of the shaft will affect how flat a lie you need to use it comfortably. No matter how long the shaft is the angle from the sole to the back of the shaft wont change.

If I cut the shaft just above where the machine reads it and it would still measure the same even though it is only a foot long now.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
unless the 65 has a shorter shaft

In dave's defense, if the shaft was shorter, in order to play it, the lie would have to be adjusted.

But shaft length has no bearing on what the static lie angle is.

R35

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
In dave's defense, if the shaft was shorter, in order to play it, the lie would have to be adjusted.

But shaft length has no bearing on what the static lie angle is.

R35

Thats what I meant,just wanted to ensure anyone passing picks this up,shorten the shaft and you flatten the lie for your swing,although technically the lie remains unaltered

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
ps its why I had my 3 and 5 woods flattened,to just drop the lie a little and also give me extra control,and its eaiser and cheaper than buying extra stiff shafts,which I seem to like in these clubs

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Thats what I meant,just wanted to ensure anyone passing picks this up,shorten the shaft and you flatten the lie for your swing,although technically the lie remains unaltered
Dave, your point is another interesting issue in this confusing industry. I've seen hackers, over the years, (other hackers, 'cause I'm one) that couldn't begin to carve a draw. They also have a problem with distance. Some "expert" tells them to lengthen the shafts in their irons and they will increase distance. Off to a basement 'glue guy' they go and have 1" or 2" plugs put in the shafts to stretch them out. Suddenly, they are hitting draws to hooks. Why? Because, lengthening the shaft makes the lie play more upright. And, with the toe closing and departing draw spin, they gain distance. The slightly longer arc did not have near the impact on the distance gain as did the draw spin. But, suddenly, they are out telling everyone they gained 10 yards per iron by lengthening the shafts 1".

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
And, to add to the confusion... The shorter the iron in our sets, the more upright the lie angle. As we progress from the 3 iron through the pitching wedge the shafts get shorter and the lie becomes more upright. Yet, as you so correctly state, if you cut a shaft off... make the shaft shorter... the playing lie becomes flatter!!! Go figure!

And sane people wonder how we golf nerds can make this game so difficult!!!!!

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Actually making the shaft longer will make the lie to upright for them and this will not promote a draw,most likely a fade because the toe digs in and the heel spins round at impact.To flat a lie has the opposite effect,heel digs in and toe comes round and you get a draw.If they were drawing the ball it was most likely becuase they were standing farther away and flatening their swings and comingin from the inside.The distance gains will not have been from longer shafts,most likely because they were pulling every shot.

Confusing though,I agree:)

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.