• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lie Angles

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
Taylormade drivers usually come in 59 degree lie angles, Titleist 57 degrees and Callway 56 degrees. This is quite a large difference in lie angle for the drivers. Does this mean that Taylormade drivers are more draw/hook based and Callaways and Titleist are more fade/slice based? What would be an ideal driver lie angle for someone with a height of 5'9"? Could someone clarify this question? Thanks.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
United States United States
I have no idea but wonder if it has to do with the fact that Titleist and Cally are bore-throughs? Good question. Is this all drivers, or did you look at specific models?

OP
hypergolf

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
Lie Angle

All the drivers. Except for Titleist 907D1 which has 59 degree of lie. 907D2 and 905R has 57 degrees. Callaways are all 56 for both bore through and non bore throughs (FT5). Taylormades are completely 59 degrees.... Pings are all 58... Can anyone clarify or lie angles on drivers don't really matter as long as they are in between 56-59 degrees?

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Generally speaking, lie angles don't matter much for clubs with lower lofts. Said better, your induced error for the lie angle being 2* off on your 10* driver is much, much better than the lie angle being 2* off on your 56* sand wedge.

If you are shorter, then I would guess trying a smaller lie angle in a driver would be smart. But driver setup and swing is absolutely so different than most people's iron swings. Mainly because it has to be. You are trying to hit a ball of a tee on the upswing. With a wedge, you are trying to hit a ball off the ground on the downswing. They aren't anywhere near the same swings.

That said, get a driver that you hit the sweet spot consistently with using impact tape. Length and lie are joined at the hip. For every inch longer a club is, it "plays" 2* flatter. So if the Titleist at 57* was 45" long, and the Callaway at 56* was 45.5" long, they should "play" the same in so far as lie angle.

Here is Tutelman's site about lie angle:

DaveT's Golf Club Design Notes=

Also, everything and anything you ever want to know about clubbuilding why and how is available, for free, on that site. Bookmark it.

OP
hypergolf

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
Lie Angle

That said, get a driver that you hit the sweet spot consistently with using impact tape. Length and lie are joined at the hip. For every inch longer a club is, it "plays" 2* flatter. So if the Titleist at 57* was 45" long, and the Callaway at 56* was 45.5" long, they should "play" the same in so far as lie angle.

Does anyone have anything else to say about this lie angle issue? Callaway will be coming out at standard 45" and so is Titleist. I will be custom ordering Titleist 907D1 or D2 but would like to know more about this lie angle issue before I buy any. D1 with 59 degrees and D2 with 57 degrees. Any help on this topic would be appreciated. I will be ordering a 44.5 inches shaft. Thanks.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
He doubts the Augster? The master of all things golfish. The great Augster, who only posts when knowledge is required?

For shame. For shame...

OP
hypergolf

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
Augster the guru

He doubts the Augster? The master of all things golfish. The great Augster, who only posts when knowledge is required?

For shame. For shame...

Oh didn't know he had that much reputation here... hahahahah...:laugh: Not that I doubt him... Just wanted to know more... keke...

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
Thanks Eracer. LMAO! :D

Check out Tutleman's site in the link I provided for a complete writeup on Lie Angle, and everything else basically. THAT guy is a genius on par with Wishon.

Since lie angle is lie angle is lie angle, at the same length, with the same flex shaft, I would suggest demo-ing a couple, even in-shop, that have the shaft you're looking at in them. Try a couple of different clubs with lie angles. Bring some masking tape along (much, much, MUCH cheaper than impact tape and available everywhere) to only record your shot dispersion with each club. Order the new club with the lie angle and length that gave you the most on-center hits.

Just a thought.

OP
hypergolf

hypergolf

Mar 6, 2007
Demo

Thanks Eracer. LMAO! :D

Check out Tutleman's site in the link I provided for a complete writeup on Lie Angle, and everything else basically. THAT guy is a genius on par with Wishon.

Since lie angle is lie angle is lie angle, at the same length, with the same flex shaft, I would suggest demo-ing a couple, even in-shop, that have the shaft you're looking at in them. Try a couple of different clubs with lie angles. Bring some masking tape along (much, much, MUCH cheaper than impact tape and available everywhere) to only record your shot dispersion with each club. Order the new club with the lie angle and length that gave you the most on-center hits.

Just a thought.

I don't get the privilege of getting to test the clubs here in this country. I will have to fly to other neighboring countries to do that. So I usually rely on feedbacks from people and magazines to finally make a purchase... It sucks I know but that is all I get here. Any suggestions how I can test clubs without actually swinging at a ball? hehehe :laugh:

Staff online

Members online