• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lie angles

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
United States United States
What is a good way to measure personal lie angles without using a standard fitting chart?

Im was using a 72 inch ruler on my shoulder and over the ball to review my proposed swing plane limit angles and went on to consider static lie and shaft deflection on the downswing as a component of my swing plane.

From the middle of my grip on my 4 iron to the middle of the face i came up with a lie angle off the ground of 29 degrees indicating 61 lie angle which I agree with because I seem to like a little flatter lie. I want to replicate this in golf shoes as barefooted I know im 1/2" shorter.

However my measurements are prone to sloppyness because i dont have super specific points from which to measure or I tend to move while trying to measure myself.

mlgolf

Dec 7, 2012
Country
First, throw some electrical tape on the sole and take a normal swings on plywood to get a ball park on what direction to go

OP
TrickyPutt

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Right and thats perfect for lie angle with a club. One might even adjust ones swing to accomodate the swing of a club -but as one has a pre bent club and sets up with same...one might come in steeper or flatter based on the club rather than what i consider more of a factor...that being my body and how it consistently swings. Im after bending my clubs to suit my body as opposed to the standard fitting procedures.

I guess im saying that i would like to try to disprove that method. If i cannot It has more validity of course. I would like a method that requires no club in hand.

I want to avoid the influence of myself in the measurements if that makes any sense.

OP
TrickyPutt

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Yeah so i have shot a 68 with rflex shafts and two degrees flat and they measure me for standard lie and stiff shafts. If they are wrong about that -----wtf let me do my own.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
I don't think I understand the original question? The last post seems like you are trying to demonstrate that traditional lie angle fittings aren't necessary. I would say that one round is not enough to make a judgement about how effective the traditional lie angle tests are. I've used a rental set of clubs and shot below par as well and I play very flat lie angles. I just know that clubs properly measured to my actual swing provides the best chance to play well and takes less adjustments in my swing to get the ball to go where I want it to.

OP
TrickyPutt

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
The "properly measured" thing is what is getting me. I have been measured many times. Nobody comes back with playability like I experience flattening the heads. Evidently I dont test well.

Im just looking for way to describe it with some kinda measurable way (strike tape has been best as well as recording game trajectory and my laser distances) to both understand the dynamics of course shots and guide the next fitter when setting up the clubs.

The lie is related to my swing plane I know, but how? . However the shaft angles are different than the plane of glass angle. Many hitters get their hands up high on the back and do well. I have a range of too low and too high and am searching out what describes this for me.

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
You are also hitting off of a perfectly flat surface with the traditional lie boards. I would say that you almost never have a perfectly level situation on the course. Some people subconsciously change their swing when hitting off of a board as well.

trumb1mj

Dec 19, 2007
Chicago, IL
Country
I hit off a lie board and looked at my divots. I bended 1* flat from mizzy standards and it made a huge difference.

paperclip

Supporting Member
Nov 1, 2009
I would agree with BStone's comments. What matters are club position and angles at the exact moment of dynamic impact. Static measurements will get you close, but while swinging the club, how many of us will return to the exact same angles and positions at impact vs. initial setup? I don't think the answer is very many. If I was one of them, I could be on tour

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I would agree with BStone's comments. What matters are club position and angles at the exact moment of dynamic impact. Static measurements will get you close, but while swinging the club, how many of us will return to the exact same angles and positions at impact vs. initial setup? I don't think the answer is very many. If I was one of them, I could be on tour
They're not even on tour. You ever see the contorted ass positions they're in at impact? The key to the lie board is to not find out after each shot... give it to the fitter after each shot and don't find out till after. Can't adjust to what you don't know.

paperclip

Supporting Member
Nov 1, 2009
True, what I also forgot to say is that a dynamic fitting vs. a static fitting is king!

OP
TrickyPutt

TrickyPutt

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2012
Alabama
Country
Just steering the thread a little...dynamically measuring swing plane.

Seems dangerous....

🔥 Latest posts