• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Light drivers

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
It seems like every OEM is now making super light drivers to get more club speed. A friend swears by his new superfast Burner. Now I was looking at Cleveland's new drivers and they've got one that only weighs 270! The shaft only weighs 40. I don't know how you can hit something that light. I don't think I'd know where the head was at. Am I missing something here? Anyone got one of these things and like it?

No, I don't want another driver (this year). I'll wait until next year when the prices are half of what they are now if I want to try this shit.

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I have seen guys who have sucked their whole lives with the driver hitting these new superlight clubs extremely well. A good buddy of mine who was Mr. Crooked and never hit it 200 yards off the tee is hitting his new burner about 225 and probably hits 70% of his fairways. With golf clubs, I am really starting to believe that the more you know, the less you actually know.

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
Played with a young flat-belly (everyone is young and flat-belly compared to me) last weekend. He had one of the new 270 gm Cleveland drivers. He hit it a ton... but never knew in what direction. He loved it and felt he would be able to work on controlling it.

We went through this fad some years ago. Ram was at least one manufacturer to bring out "Featherweight" clubs in the early 80s. We've seen shafts get lighter and lighter in weight. Just when I thought I couldn't control a 60 gm shaft, out came 55 gm and then 45 gm technology. Today, we're down in the 40 gm range.

It's still what works for YOU and what builds that confidence between YOUR ears. There is a downside, however, to the lightweight drivers. I really don't believe a 270 gm driver will 'helicopter' nearly as far as a 350 gm driver when you recently expended $300 does nothing but put you deeper into the trees. :>)

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
FWIW - I play 70ish weight shafts in my drivers

VtDivot

I tried a 55 gm shaft awhile back and couldn't control it. I've settled on 60-65 gm shafts since but these are with standard weight heads. When the whole "package" gets lighter maybe these things work.

(And R35 probably uses a 80 gm shaft)....

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I usually play a 70-75g shaft and end up sticking s chunk of lead tape on the head at some point. I have tried an 83g shaft and a heavier weight head and while I was really accurate, I lost around 10-15 yds.

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Actually the more I think about it, that heavy shaft/head combo may have been my fab driver of all time. It was a 10.5* R5 TP withan 83g blueboard and the more I think about it 10-15 yds was nothing when I was in the FW 80% of them time. I was so confident with it, I would just aim at the left hand edge of the FW and it would cut back to the center-almost EVERY time....

Wonder why I ever got rid of that driver...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Feelnin the swing is weight at length. A shorter, heavier club feels the same as a longer, lighter club. That's why adding an inch to a club increases the swing weight.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
I tried a 55 gm shaft awhile back and couldn't control it. I've settled on 60-65 gm shafts since but these are with standard weight heads. When the whole "package" gets lighter maybe these things work.

(And R35 probably uses a 80 gm shaft)....

63grams. I hit the F7M2 well, but I prefer the flight and feel of the F6M2. My FW is mid-70's, and I hate FW shafts that are heavier than 80g.

I find that I prefer shafts that don't accentuate where the clubhead is in the swing, but also don't lose it being too stout. The M2 series shafts are exactly this.

I wasn't super impressed by the Miziaki or whatever it is in the new Cleveland, but it's pretty much the exact opposite of what I want, so I'm not surprise. Those Cleveland drivers are sledge hammers tho.

Matrix is releasing a 40g shaft this summer, i am reading. That's unreal.

Has anyone hit the new Nunchuk? Apparently, it's beyond unreal straight. Not internet straight, but real life/actuality straight. :D

R35

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
I never got to try one in the real world. But on the monitor, and the feel of the Cleveland 290 with the Miyazaki in a stiff flex, was awesome. I tried to 270 and it didn't feel right. And FWIW, the actual weight of the shaft is around 55, not sure why the call it the 49, or whatever they call it.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
In their shaft options (Cleveland website) it says that shaft in the 270 version in stiff flex is 47 g. It might be 55 in the 290 version.

MyBluC4

Jan 23, 2008
Actually I just picked up a new, last year's model TM Superfast. Three reasons 1) it only has a 6 gram weight dispersion vs. the new 2011 model that I couldn't tell the difference of if my life depended on it 2) it has a black club head not white so I don't feel I'm swinging an ice cream cone (no offense you ho's out there with the 'll version) and 3) it cost $145 that is a bargain.
It is lighter and faster and kills the ball. I say this because it replaced my original TM Burner. It's easier to swing and you don't have to lay into it to get the performance. The club really does a lot of the work for you. So far so good and feel it was worth the price I paid. I don't know how much more can be done with a driver. To me its all about the shaft and this one seems well balanced and well fitted to the club head and swing weight. I'd say definitely worth a try.

OP
warbirdlover

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
I found a test (somewhere online) where all these superlight drivers were beat by the new Razr Hawk. Not sure about the weight of the Razr Hawk but maybe the light weight helps up to a point?

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.