• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lightning

ChappyEight

Jun 21, 2007
(I posted this in another forum too, in case you feel like you've read this before, but not everyone visits every golf forum obviously.)

As I was recounting with a co-worker a situation I ran into last summer in my 2 man best-ball league, I thought it might be an interesting topic to bring up here.

The back-story is basically that in August of `96, when I was a freshman in high school, my football team was struck by lighting (it hit the ground a couple feet from us and the energy came up through our metal spikes). Ever since that time, naturally I've been very conscious of weather when I am outside.

So, last summer as we tee off on a Sunday evening around 4PM for our league, I can see storm clouds rolling in in the distance. By the time we finished the first hole (375 yard par 4) it had started raining and the thunder was quite loud. The lightning appeared to be within a few miles to our west coming right at us. The three guys I was playing with wanted to keep going. So, I obliged by quickly hitting my tee shot on the par 3 second and scurrying back to the cart (thinking of course that the rubber would keep me from getting a ground strike like before).

We get to the green and I hurry out and four putt because, at this point, I could care less about my score and am more concerned with the impending weather that is now nearly on top of us.

As we leave the second green and head to the 3rd tee box, the lightning siren sounds from the clubhouse and the gps on the carts shows a lightning warning. The guys I'm playing with want to keep going! I told them I was done but they insisted on playing. So, the three of them hit their tee shots and as we are driving down the fairway (on a par 4) lightning strikes on another part of the course, probably 500-600 yards away from us.

So, of course then they decide to go in. Back at the clubhouse I got endless ribbing and ridicule for being a "pansy" (I'll keep it clean) and that maybe I should start playing from the ladies tees. Now I have pretty thick skin so I don't get easily irritated or offended and, in fact, I often give other guys a hard time about their games, etc. as often takes place on the course.

However, I can't understand the ignorance that goes into staying on a golf course when lightning is even remotely close. It seems like flirting with disaster for what, an extra hole or two? Why is someone less "manly" for wanting to avoid danger that is so completely avoidable?

I still get teased when weather starts to move in and I usually either ignore it or tell them to kiss my backside.

I'd just be curious to get other people's thoughts on this. Again, I could give a crap what others think of me, but it just seems like way too many golfers think they're too "tough" to worry about a little lightning.

eclark53520

DB Member Extraordinaire
Supporting Member
Dec 24, 2007
South Central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
You say you dont care what others think of you, but this entire post is all about how some guys called you a pansy... ???

Personaly, what does it matter? You decided to take less risk than they did, that doesnt make you any less or more of a man than them. I have gotten lots of grief from certain motorcycle riders because i always wear gear while i am on my bike...does it make me less of a man because i dont want to leave my hide on the road? Maybe it does...but i dont really care.

OP
ChappyEight

ChappyEight

Jun 21, 2007
You say you dont care what others think of you, but this entire post is all about how some guys called you a pansy... ???

You're right, it came across that way in my post. I really don't care what they think, rather, I was trying to spark a discussion that I know they aren't the only one's who think and feel this way.

The thought process is totally flawed which is why I figured it would be an interesting topic to throw out there... you know, besides the Tiger gets too much publicity/Tiger shouldn't throw his clubs threads. :thumbs up:

Wi-Golfer

Golfer on hiatus.
Supporting Member
Jul 25, 2007
Madison, Wi
Country
2 years ago an elderly golfer on one of my local courses decided not to heed the lightning warnings. He & his clubs both got smoked. I posted pics somewhere on this site.

floggerrushmd

Supporting Member
Jul 11, 2008
My old club in Pgh had the lightning siren but most of the places I play in NC don't. This means that I don't even risk it if there is an ominous cloud in the sky. The thought of getting hit is just not conducive to playing well or enjoying the round.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
As far as I'm concerned, if there is thunder, there is lightning. I will not play in either for any reason. If I'm walking, I'm gone. If I'm driving, either you come with me or get your clubs off the cart. If I'm riding, we're leaving or my clubs are coming off the cart. If any of the above is an issue, there is no reason for you and I to play together again. "You" is generic, not directed at Chappy.

I don't get in a panic, I simply get out of harm's way.

Your friends are being stupid.

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
Some people are just stupid. Lightning anywhere near... I is gone!

Amen. Almost every year someone is killed by lightning on a golf course here in Colorado. Just a couple of years ago a man was killed on the range at one of my 2 home courses, just a couple of miles from my house. I work as a starter and I've sat in my booth and seen lightning strike a tree in the middle of the course, and at the time there were still stupid golfers playing out on the course.

When I see lightning, I'm headed for the nearest shelter, post haste.

mddubya

Hybrid convert
Nov 6, 2007
Get a 1 iron.

Just kidding, I don't play in Thunderstorms either. The idea of holding up a metal object during one doesn't appeal to me very much.

bames

Purchased a better game
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2006
Utah
Country
Get a 1 iron.

Just kidding, I don't play in Thunderstorms either. The idea of holding up a metal object during one doesn't appeal to me very much.

Hey now, it does have a rubber grip. Pansies.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
The second I see lightning, I am not even going to go through the issue of going to the green and 4 putting, I'm gone or looking for the nearest shelter. If the person in the cart with me wants to stay, he can either drop me off back at the clubhouse or I will gladly remove his bag. Although if it were anyone I didn't really know well, and not a good friend (as most of them have enough common sense to not carry metal clubs around in a lightning storm), I likely would have taken a different cart to start with had there been a good chance of rain, as I like to play in the rain more than most people.

In the same sense I will many times go on if I just hear thunder in the distance until it gets closer, although if who I am with is uncomfortable with that, I always tell them I will leave it at their digression and will go in any time they want.

I was playing once in a league and had lightning touch down behind a green on the hole we were teeing off on at the time with no thunder prior to that time. In between two greens actually. All eight of the people on the 2 greens hit the deck and we could feel the heat from 300 yards away (it was hugh).

🔥 Latest posts