• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Like a rusty gate...

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Despite the title, this is not about my swing with FWs or my driver. This is about my irons. They're developing rust on the face!

This is particularly noticeable on my 60* cleveland, but it also present on clubs I use less than that one (7i, 5i). I haven't washed them lately because I haven't been doing anything other than hitting off a range mat, mostly. They haven't been dirty.

I do not use iron covers.

I DO keep my clubs in my trunk, generally.

I keep them dry casually when playing, and have taken more care this year than ever before, and I never had this issue before. Forged clubs for the first time, though...

So aside from why this is happening, can I reverse the process?

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
Get some "rust remover" and immediately afterwards put some light oil on them (wipe off after applying). All you can do. I cover my club heads in the trunk since moisture can develop in the morning. I just lay my rain jacket over them. (And many pros and amateurs WANT their wedges to rust to gain the "rough" finish to put more backspin on) :)

OP
SilverUberXeno

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
Chrome finish

I'll start taking my clubs out of the trunk. It did start happening once the wet autumn hit :( All summer I never had to worry. Damn weather!

I like Jeff's idea though

WBL: What do you mean by "light oil"?

big_greasy_taco

Jul 31, 2007
If you go to a walmart back in the automotive dept, there is a oil by the brand super tech for like $0.97. I think it actually says light oil on it. cheap stuff but effective.

Lil_Huth

Sep 14, 2007
If they are forged and rusting that is kinda a good thing. That means you are hitting them in the right spot and wearing out the sweetspot. This happens on all forged clubs and can't really be prevented all that much. Other than not hitting the sweetspot that is.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.