• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Links courses

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Links courses - a definition, may be of interest to some and I found this online...seems a fair shout.

Golf History FAQ: What is a Links Course?

Criteria for "Links" Come from Long-Ago Scotland

Especially in the U.S., the term "links" is frequently misapplied. "Links" refers to a very specific type of course. But nowadays it is common for any golf course that is relatively treeless to call itself a links course. And that's not accurate.

But in America, they get away with it. Most American golfers - and I am one - have never seen a links course ... except for the ones we see each year while watching the British Open.

The British Golf Museum says that "links" are coastal strips of land between the beaches and the inland agricultural areas. This term, in its purest sense, applies specifically to seaside areas in Scotland.

So "links land" is land where seaside transitions into farmland. Links land has sandy soil, making it unsuited for crops. The land, in fact, was thought to be worthless because it was not arable for crops.

But back in the mists of Scotland, someone got the bright idea to put a golf course on that land. What else where they going to do with it? And links golf courses emerged.

Because they were close to the beach, lots of sand traps were a natural (the soil was very sandy, after all). But the traps had to be deeply recessed to prevent sand from being blown away by the constant wind. Because the soil was of a poor quality and constantly buffeted by the seaside winds, not much would grow on it - mostly just tall, reedy grasses, and certainly no trees.

So a true links course is not any course that is treeless. The term "links" historically applies specifically to strips of land in seaside areas that feature sandy soil, dunes and undulating topography, and where the land is not conducive to cultivated vegetation or trees.

Because they were built on narrow strips of land, links courses often followed an "out and back" routing. The front nine went out from the clubhouse, one hole stringed after another, until reaching the 9th green, which was the point on the golf course farthest from the clubhouse. The golfers would then turn around on the 10th tee, with the back nine holes leading straight back to the clubhouse.

In modern terms, a "links course" is more broadly defined by Ron Whitten, the great writer on golf course architecture for Golf Digest, to include golf courses build on sandy soil (whether seaside or not) and that are buffeted by winds. Whitten says a links course must play firm and fast, with sometimes crusty fairways and greens that feature many knolls and knobs to create odd bounces and angles. And, of course, a links course, in Whitten's definition, needs to be relatively treeless with a native rough that is tall and thick. Sources: R&A, USGA, Golf Digest

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
It's good to get the specifics...I guess I always thought of a links course in those terms, but never quite knew the details. It's like...you know one when you see one, but can't specify the composition of it.

I think what we see a lot of over here are "links STYLE courses"...that middle word is very important.

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Silver said:
It's good to get the specifics...I guess I always thought of a links course in those terms, but never quite knew the details. It's like...you know one when you see one, but can't specify the composition of it.

I think what we see a lot of over here are "links STYLE courses"...that middle word is very important.

I always just thought of it as the area that 'links' the seaside to the arable land. but a more detailed definition doesn't do any harm, i guess.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Kilted Arab said:
Because they were built on narrow strips of land, links courses often followed an "out and back" routing. The front nine went out from the clubhouse, one hole stringed after another, until reaching the 9th green, which was the point on the golf course farthest from the clubhouse. The golfers would then turn around on the 10th tee, with the back nine holes leading straight back to the clubhouse.

When I think of a Links course, I think the above has to be the number 1 qualifier.

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Silver said:
but that's such a common thing...even in parkland courses, no?

I don't know about that...most courses I know about have both the 1st and 10th tees at - or close to - the clubhouse.

On links courses the 9th green/10th tee are usually the furthest point from the clubhouse.

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Addition to previous note. Muirfield is a curious links course in design terms...it's not the usual 'out and back' links course. Instead, it's easiest to think of it as two loops, with the front 9 basically forming a loop around the back nine. Not exactly, but gives an idea of the layout. Unusual in links golf.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Kilted Arab said:
Addition to previous note. Muirfield is a curious links course in design terms...it's not the usual 'out and back' links course. Instead, it's easiest to think of it as two loops, with the front 9 basically forming a loop around the back nine. Not exactly, but gives an idea of the layout. Unusual in links golf.

That is unusual... like I stated before, links to me meant holes chained together with number 9 green being the furthest away from clubhouse. I didn't know Muirfield didn't follow this pattern. Way back in the day it was prob a 9 holer?

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
VtDivot said:
That is unusual... like I stated before, links to me meant holes chained together with number 9 green being the furthest away from clubhouse. I didn't know Muirfield didn't follow this pattern. Way back in the day it was prob a 9 holer?

I'm not sure to be honest - I think it was always an 18-holer, but I could be wrong. "The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers", to give the club their full title, only moved to Muirfield at some point in the 1890's - they had two homes before then, I forget where.

When I played Muirfield there had a book on sale about the history of the club. Stupidly, for the sake of 20 quid, i did a will-i-wont-i over buying it, and didnt bother in the end.

Another example of me being an idiot.

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Kilted Arab said:
When I played Muirfield there had a book on sale about the history of the club. Stupidly, for the sake of 20 quid, i did a will-i-wont-i over buying it, and didnt bother in the end.

Another example of me being an idiot.

Don't make the same mistake with the new driver now that Mrs KA is away for a while :D

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
VtDivot said:
Don't make the same mistake with the new driver now that Mrs KA is away for a while :D

ha! I also need new golf shoes.

Whats she doesn't know wont hurt her. Besides, I'm kinda covered. I get an annual allowance for telephone calls, part of the expat package. And I forgot about it. And it arrived in my account yesterday. Whooo-hoooo!

DaveE

The golfer fka ST Champ
Aug 31, 2004
Kilted Arab said:
ha! I also need new golf shoes.

Whats she doesn't know wont hurt her. Besides, I'm kinda covered. I get an annual allowance for telephone calls, part of the expat package. And I forgot about it. And it arrived in my account yesterday. Whooo-hoooo!

Golf equipment ho'ing with unexpected, found money is one of life true joys. Keep us up to date.

G

Gorse

KA’s post on the definition of true links land is spot on by my estimate. The term ‘links course’ has taken on many bastardised descriptions, especially in North America. Scotland is the home of a great number of these courses, but Ireland and England also boast many true and wonderful links courses.

It is true that many of the classics are 9 out and 9 in with the 9th green/10th tee the furthest point from the first tee. However there are exceptions and Muirfield, as pointed out in this thread, is probably the most well known. It is basically nine holes out in a clockwise rotation with the 9th green/10th tee close to the clubhouse and nine inward in a counter clockwise direction. The outward nine forms a circle around the inward nine.

In answer to the question of where the Honourable Company played before Muirfield it was first at the Leith Links and then at Musselburgh. In the days of the feather ball or feathery the cost to buy balls was very high and it actually limited the number of people who could afford to play the game. With the advent of the gutta percha or guttie the numbers increased dramatically. The Honourable Company shared Musselburgh with The Bruntsfield Links Golfing Society and Royal Burgess and as the numbers increased at Musselburgh all three of these ‘clubs’ eventually left and constructed their own courses. Muirfield was not originally constructed as a nine hole course. 16 holes were completed in May of 1891 with the final 2 completed in December of the same year.

OP
Kilted Arab

Kilted Arab

Apr 30, 2005
Gorse said:
KA’s post on the definition of true links land is spot on by my estimate. The term ‘links course’ has taken on many bastardised descriptions, especially in North America. Scotland is the home of a great number of these courses, but Ireland and England also boast many true and wonderful links courses.

It is true that many of the classics are 9 out and 9 in with the 9th green/10th tee the furthest point from the first tee. However there are exceptions and Muirfield, as pointed out in this thread, is probably the most well known. It is basically nine holes out in a clockwise rotation with the 9th green/10th tee close to the clubhouse and nine inward in a counter clockwise direction. The outward nine forms a circle around the inward nine.

In answer to the question of where the Honourable Company played before Muirfield it was first at the Leith Links and then at Musselburgh. In the days of the feather ball or feathery the cost to buy balls was very high and it actually limited the number of people who could afford to play the game. With the advent of the gutta percha or guttie the numbers increased dramatically. The Honourable Company shared Musselburgh with The Bruntsfield Links Golfing Society and Royal Burgess and as the numbers increased at Musselburgh all three of these ‘clubs’ eventually left and constructed their own courses. Muirfield was not originally constructed as a nine hole course. 16 holes were completed in May of 1891 with the final 2 completed in December of the same year.

Hi Gorse - great post here and on the Old Course thread.

Which other courses in Scotland have you played? I'd be especially interested in your thoughts on Kingsbarns if you have played there..

Cheers

G

Gorse

I have played throughout Scotland, Ireland and the Northwest of England. It would probably be easier to name the courses I have not played. We have a group of Montrealers who all play at the same course and who are lovers of the game, particularly links golf in the UK. We travel at least once a year.

My thoughts on Kingsbarns have changed over the last several years. The first time I played it I was not particularly impressed. The second time I enjoyed it and the third time I began developing a loving relationship. I still think that there is a maturing that will continue to make this an increasingly good track. I find the 6th and 8th holes a little quirky but this is more than made up for by the 12th. The last time I played 12 the tide was up and the sea was lapping against the shore creating a scene of mystical proportions.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.