• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lob Wedge Bounce Question

gregfletch

Aug 20, 2006
I've been playing a Cleveland 588 RTG 60 degree lob wedge for several years and am pretty comfortable hitting it, but lately it seems to be giving me fits and my confidence has suffered. Chunking, Skulling etc...

I was wondering... This particular club has only 3 degrees of bounce and it seems like the other Cleveland Wedges with are "low bounce" have 8 or even 10 degrees of bounce. I play mostly courses with firm fairways, but it seems very easy to fluff shots in any sort of rough with this club. My gap wedge has 10 degrees of bounce and I've started turning to that club more frequently.

Any thoughts on what type of bounce may be best? I'm not a low handicapper, but I have a good short game and practice that alot. Maybe this club is really more suited to a better player. What type of bounce do you have on your lob wedge? Do you use your lob wedge out of the rough as well as from tight lies? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Youngun5

Beware of the Phog!
Aug 26, 2004
my Tight Lies Lob wedge has 7* of bounce and it does alright from almost anything.....i seem to have trouble from really fluffy lies though, where i prefer to take my higher bounce 56* sand wedge which works pretty good most of the time.

someone'll correct me if i'm wrong but i believe with firmer fairways you want lower bounce wedges, but everyone seems to have their own preferences

someone on here more knowledgeable on wedges should be able to point you in the right direction, i don't mess with mine until a lack of spin from worn out grooves hinders my play so i don't get much experience in the technical aspects of wedges.

good luck,

-YG

demon

Hybrids are for girls
Oct 29, 2006
If you hit deep divots normally go with a high bounce and if you sweep the grass with little or no divot go with a low bounce.

OP
gregfletch

gregfletch

Aug 20, 2006
I'm definately a "sweeper" and I also find that I can do well with my 56 degree SW out of the rough, it just seems like maybe this wedge just does not have "enough" bounce?

🔥 Latest posts