• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lob Wedge?

Wheelerm

GET IN THE HOLE!
Oct 11, 2005
Im having a bit of a problem because i bought a Lob Wedge and can not really see to much difference of that to a Sand Wedge, apart from 4*, and you must catch a Lob Wedge sweetly otherwise it will not go where you want it to. Also, you have to be precise, because instead of rolling into the hole, like this a Sand Wedge or Pitching Wedge, it just bounces and stops.

So the question im asking is are Lob Wedges really worth buying, or should i just stick to a Sand Wedge?

Cheers people

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
It depends on how you like to play. Nicklaus played his entire career with only a 56 degree wedge. Most of the modern day pros carry some sort of LW.

I used to play everything with a 56 and would open or deloft the club depending on how I wanted the ball to come out.

I have since added a 51 and 60 to my bag and use both frequently.

Like you though, I do not hit full 60's from the fairway on those say 75-80 yard shots. I feel much more comfortable hitting a 3/4 SW in those situations. The 60 comes in real handy when the conditions call for a flop shot... usually when you're short sided around a green, or when you need to really hoist it up there over trees etc.

GregInOz

Dang Fool
Aug 24, 2005
Lob wedge requires a bit of commitment to play for the first time. You need to practice a fair bit before you can really take it out to play because it is a very different club from even a 56 degree wedge in how it plays and the shots that it will produce.

I personally tried a 60 for a bit, but now its out of the bag. Cost me more in 4 foot pop ups than it was worth. There's no shame in not having one.

Slingblade61

Supporting Member
Aug 26, 2004
I personally tried a 60 for a bit, but now its out of the bag.

Amen Greg.

I use a 56* exclusively. I divorced the 60* early in the spring.

I chip with a 5 iron and a putting stroke. I get much better results that way.

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
The lob wedge (60-64*) is by far the hardest club to master. If you hit that thing good 2/5 times, you should be on tour.

As Sling touched on, you can always find a club in the bag to chip with....7 iron, 5 iron, fairway wood, whatever.

It's just that 60 yard shot over 75 foot trees with no chance of going under that warrants that circus shot from your lob wedge...:) ...I used mine up on Saturday and sold my wedge right afterwards.

I shit you not, it's gone!

R35

Loop

Aug 27, 2004
I only use Pitch and Lob wedge. Nothing between, just feel and half swings.

Silver

I don't have a handicap.
Dec 5, 2004
I don't get it...I really don't find the 60* to be that hard of a club to play.

I have 46, 51, 56, 60 and it's not really rocket science. I hit the 60 as well as anything else. What's the big deal?

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Silver said:
What's the big deal?

How often are you inside 8 feet from 60 yards or less?

What's your sand save percentage?

How often are you up and down from heavy rough next to the green?

There's a big difference between just swinging the 60* wedge from the fairway and actually utilizing it as it's designed.

Tiger is the king of the lob wedge. That guy wields it like it's an extention of himself. God knows Miller is always blowing his wad over it.

If you have your 60* lob wedge mastered, get on tour.

If you hit it "as well as your other wedges", that'll i'll believe.

No offense S, as I've never seen you play, but from almost every sub-5 handicap player I've ever spoken with, they say that the lob is the hardest club to master. Even after the putter.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
The 60 around the green is no big deal... it's the big swings from the fairway that are the problem. Any time you take a full rip, you never know what you'll get.

Personally, I'd never play without it. It's great for short bunker shots, and those high flops over greenside cedars that make your pals say WOW.

FYI - the longest shafted lowest lofted club in your bag Rock is the hardest to master, you know that ;)

bdcrowe

ST Homeland Security
Aug 30, 2004
Perhaps it's because the 60* is what I practice with most-- both chipping, pitching and full shots in my yard and the lot next door-- but I love my lob. I chip with it 95% of the time because I can vary the carry/roll by hooding it and by varying ball placement. Exclusing wind, elevation, or other non-norms, it is my club from 85 yards to green.

I should by no means be on tour, and I probably haven't "mastered" it, but I get better results out of the lob than anything else in "feel" situations. That is 100% because it is what I have in my hands around the house the majority of my outside "I wonder if I can drop a ball in that flower pot" or "I wonder if I can drop a ball behind that pavillion 80 yards away" practices.

Are they always within 8 feet? Well, no. But do I feel more comfortable hitting a full shot from 85 yards than a 3/4 shot? When I know that a lob will carry 85 yards and stop most times, I'll take the full shot.

It's all about the time investment, and what you feel comfortable with. If the lob wedge is a stranger to you that heckles you from the bag, leave it out. If you've spent time with it and trust how it will treat you, wear the grooves off of it.

For the record, I'm a 13. I am also most likely not the norm. Rock's advice is the best for those who don't try hitting gravestones with a ball and a 60* 4 or 5 days a week. ;)

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
VtDivot said:
FYI - the longest shafted lowest lofted club in your bag Rock is the hardest to master, you know that ;)

The 7 wood's on E-bay, if you're interested....:)

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rockford35 said:
The 7 wood's on E-bay, if you're interested....:)

R35

Yeah sure, I'll throw that POS in my bag and the guys will call me Annika... or worse Rockford...:biglol:

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
bdcrowe said:
That is 100% because it is what I have in my hands around the house

Yeah sure BD... you can fess up... you call it your 60... I call mine Herman

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
VtDivot said:
Yeah sure, I'll throw that POS in my bag and the guys will call me Annika... or worse Rockford...:biglol:

Too bad, it's sold. Someone used the Buy It Now feature.

You had your chance...;)

POS? That's harsh. It was a great club.

R35

VtDivot

SLIGHTERED
Supporting Member
Apr 16, 2005
Rockford35 said:
Too bad, it's sold. Someone used the Buy It Now feature.

You had your chance...;)

POS? That's harsh. It was a great club.

R35

I agree - I think the callys are the best fairway woods out there. I was just giving you shit. They are damn expensive tho. Bought my MP-001 with NV for the same price as a used Steelhead Plus

🔥 Latest posts