• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lob Wedge

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
So at the beginning of the year I switched my wedge setup to be 54/60 from 52/56. I couldn't hit the 52 for crap and the 56 just didn't do it for me.

Now the 54 is money for me, it feels great and I hit it well. The 60 not so much. I am as likely to top or sh@$k it as I am to hit a decent shot with it. I haven't carried a lib wedge in at least 5 years. I've given it a pretty good test run but am not opposed to trying longer. I don't hit many shots with it on the course and almost ever hit a full shot with it.

Who else carries a libber here? How do you play it on the course?

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Use to carry a 52/56/60 set up. Lob wedge I only ever used around the green or if I had to he right under the ball and hit over a huge tree (which when it comes off its a bloody beautiful thing lol).
But then I swapped it out for a 58 vokey and like you said, I never hit a 60 full shot. I now quite often hit my 58 from 50m out and drop it on from the clouds.
However the 58 is still just as useful around the greens for me.
I only play a 52/58 combo now.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Use to carry a 52/56/60 set up. Lob wedge I only ever used around the green or if I had to he right under the ball and hit over a huge tree (which when it comes off its a bloody beautiful thing lol).
But then I swapped it out for a 58 vokey and like you said, I never hit a 60 full shot. I now quite often hit my 58 from 50m out and drop it on from the clouds.
However the 58 is still just as useful around the greens for me.
I only play a 52/58 combo now.
I'm kicking around the idea of getting a 58. You wouldn't think 2* would make much difference but this 60* just isn't cutting it.

MattyB

Not a sheep shagger.
Supporting Member
Dec 30, 2012
Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Yeah, the more I tried to give it a full shot the more inconsistent I got. It then started to affect me around the greens and so I eventually gave up on it.
Now seeing quite a few 64* wedges selling online and couldn't think of ever using one lol.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
United States United States
Love it. My 60* is the most important club in my bag. I use it almost exclusively around the greens. I hit it about everyday goofing off with my boys...I'm pretty confident with it. I need a good lie for a full shot though.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Love it. My 60* is the most important club in my bag. I use it almost exclusively around the greens. I hit it about everyday goofing off with my boys...I'm pretty confident with it. I need a good lie for a full shot though.
See that's the thing, I feel like I have no idea where my 60 is going when I pick it up. My 54 seems like point and shoot, high or low, check up or run out...not so with my 60.

SplooGe

Supporting Member
Jan 7, 2007
I recently went back to my 60* from a 58*. It's good from about 60-95 for me and around the green.

anonymous golfaholic

Refusing Recovery
Supporting Member
Feb 10, 2010
Illinois
Country
The problem with with my 54* is lack of green side spin. I usually don't play my 54* until I'm about 50 yards out.

My theory is learn 1 club for short game. The 60* is the most versatile for me. I love to play real low shots with it but I can hit it straight up if I need to.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
The problem with with my 54* is lack of green side spin. I usually don't play my 54* until I'm about 50 yards out.

My theory is learn 1 club for short game. The 60* is the most versatile for me. I love to play real low shots with it but I can hit it straight up if I need to.
I agree, I'm pretty comfortable with my 54. Not sure if a different loft is the answer. Maybe a different shaft..

nututhugame

Winter Sucks!
Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2008
Southeast Wisconsin
Country
I carry one and like it. I rarely hit full shots with it, but not because I can't... more because i'm hardly ever at that yardage. I'll hit a full shot with it if i'm at the SW yardage with a decent wind behind me or if i'm at 85 yds or so. If I have a pitch over a bunker or even need to carry some thick greenside cabbage it's perfect. The beauty of a LW for me is I don't need to open the face way up and hit a "flop" with a SW, it's just lofted enough. I think you just need to not think "60" and play it like any other wedge. It may be like the 4w for you, but anyone who uses a 60 successfully will tell you that it is a good friend of theirs. It comes in really handy. One thing about most of them is they half the bounce of most sand wedges which makes some lies easier. Another good use is for the fried egg that you still need to hit a fairly high, but short.

I hit like 3 pretty awesome shots at the round w/ E and Fitz. Really it was about the only club I hit good shots with, which was ironic seeing as I was talking about how terrible my 50ish yd game is right before the round.

azgreg

"Don't count that."
Supporting Member
Sep 20, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Country
I can't hit a full shot with a lob wedge. It goes straight up in the air.

🔥 Latest posts