• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Local course issue

Lemonhead

Nov 1, 2006
There is a course here in Wilmington, NC that is about to undergo a major rennovation. They started in January, removing trees, etc. I played in Feb and was so mad because the greens were completely dead and the conditions were abyssmal. I wanted to get a quick round in and they were the only place that could work me in at the last minute so I played (if you could call it that).

Anyway, I'm driving down the street and here a radio ad proclaiming they are open and the rennovation is scheduled for November so "come play before everything changes!" I would have thought that they decided to postpone the rennovations and get the course in shape for the season but a friend played last week and demanded his money back because it was so bad. Apparantly they only have 1 or 2 people working the course.

So, here is my warning. If you are in the Wilmington, NC area don't get suckered into playing The Cape. I'm sure when the rennovations are completed it will be really nice as the owner is supposed to be dropping $8M into it. Until then, avoid it.

Play the Muni in instead for a Donald Ross course (1925 design). I can't remember the rates for out-of-towners but city residents can walk on weekends for $13.00. In the winter, the course is in better shape than several public courses in the area.

Lemonhead

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
man that sucks. the course I live on was just sold and is undergoing a renovation. i am worried about the same thing happening because it doesn't "officially" close until november 1st, and they are already working on the course putting in ponds and stuff.

Jason

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
I've never, ever heard of this type of business practice...that's awful.

Every course I have ever been aware of - closes down - during renovations...completely.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
They have a course in our area that advertises each year on the radio to come see their newly renovated course. Didn't used to be a bad course. Although the last time I went, unless they consider adding 3 new hazards per hole by not mowing the tee boxes, and having dirt fairways and rough a positive for having equal hard pan lies, I see no renovation. Heard the same add again this year. Have to wonder if they didn't just redirect the River to make it one big water trap. Seems they think it is easier to spend their money on the radio than on a grounds crew. Expecting next year for it to say "Under new management". Always cracks me up when you see that and go in and they still have all the same employees that ran the place into the ground. They have a diner up here like that may be in one of the best locations in the area. They change Managers and themes about 4 times in a year and is now back under the old management from the beginning, saying all new management. You would think they would realize maybe their lack of success is not the business but the employees that provide lousy service. Where the last time we went for lunch, I ordered a salad and my wife ordered a Hamburger and fries. It took 45 minutes and when it came the Salad was hot and the Burger was cold, and we never saw our waitress the rest of the meal. Until they advertise all new management and employees, we killed off the old ones, I would not go back.

Kinda sad because it was fantastic the first time we went.

edit 1 - They also have a Robert Trent Jones Course up here that is similar. Under new management. Last time we went, you had to clean the seat of the cart which looked like it went through a toilet. Plus they let the course go.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
That's horrible. One time I played a tournament on a course where some new greens were being implemented and was almost complete. It confused me, :(

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
Our area is overbuilt....almost saturated with golf courses. There is so much competition that - fortunately - it tends to keep people on their toes because bad news travels fast....one pretty good course is shutting down (selling the property for new home development) because there is too much supply here. I played there twice and it was a solid track at reasonable prices with good service and they couldn't make it go....

Classic case of supply outstripping demand. I doubt if a new private or public course will be built here in the next three years.

OP
L

Lemonhead

Nov 1, 2006
The Cape was one of my favorites this past summer. Then, when the survey crew went through things started to change - weeds on the greens, bunkers not maintained. Then when the tree crews came in, they just quit doing anything but mowing the fairways and occasionally the tee boxes. They totally let their greens turn into "browns" - completely dead.

It's really sad. Just shut the place down and do the work. If the construction schedule got delayed, that's no reason to offer horrible product. It's going to be a long time before I play it again because even when the rennovation is complete, the new owner is already showing his attitude; an attitude which will flow down to the staff. If he's willing to play the game he's playing now, their customer service will probably suck when the work is complete.

Now on the plus side, there are 2 new courses in the works for the area. One under construction, and one going through the zoning issues (they want to relocate a road to keep it from bisecting the property) but it got one approval.

Lemonhead

SCGolfer

Jan 12, 2007
our course is the best layout in this area.....it is being renovated by Charlie Rymer and Mike Young for the University of South Carolina to use for tourneys.....they are completely redoing the greens and tees and adding 800 yards to make the course play 7500 from the back tees....the course will be pretty awesome if all this happens........everyone has their fingers crossed they don't let this summer go to waste before they close it down completely.

warbirdlover

Ender of all threads
Supporting Member
Jul 9, 2005
central Wisconsin
Country
United States United States
We've got a great little 18 hole course in town here, Rivermoor CC. It's been around for many years. Now there are rumors that they a group is trying to change it to 9 holes and put up condos on the other part. I hate progress. :(

footballking732

BURNER BABY!!
Sep 2, 2006
my course has been talking about shutting down for years now, but it keeps on going..

the greens are almost always in great shape, even in the 100* heat last summer... besides this past weekend when they airated(sp?) it....

right now its only a nine holer, built right along I-495, and pretty short, but its my course.. where i grew up on... where i made my first birdie(on the first time i ever played on a golf course:))

they are currently thinking of turning it into a pitch and putt, and then the rest of it becomes condos.... i just cant seem to let it go..

there are plenty of nicer public courses, one called falls road that is amazing, also northwest(which is the longest course i have ever played, over 7,500 prolly closer to 8,000)...

DouginGA

dont tread on me
Dec 8, 2005
I guess it depends on how much "renovation" is being done. my regular course is having a bit of work done continually as the owner is trying to improve the course while not losing revenue completely. Right now there are temp greens on #6 and #9 and if you dont hit the green or come close on #10 (a par three) you will be in mud as a pond is being dug out in front of the green.
Its a bit of a inconvience but I look at as the course is constantly improving and the owner keeps the rates down ($21 for all day monday, $26 rest of the weekdays, with all day play on tues and thurs, and $35 on the weekends). The Univ. of GA course shut down for 8 months for a complete overhaul but the rate now is $70 something.
On the reg course #13 had a temp green last year for a while. a pain then but now has the best green on the course. suffer now and enjoy later :)

cabinessence

Never Say Die
Jul 28, 2005
Ford Ord in Carmel is getting gutted to make way for condos. That used to be a fun but maddening place, who knows what will happen to it now.

🔥 Latest posts