• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Loft adjustment question...

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
I know this has been talked about before, but I wanted to start a new thread. I am considering having my irons bent 1* weak, that is a 46* PW to a 47* PW. It would just suit my wedge setup and overall bag setup at the moment-looking at decreasing the # of clubs I carry- 2 wedges instead of 3 etc.

My question is, how does decreasing loft affect the bounce? Does it add or subtract from the OEM standard (for Hogan) of 8* on the PW and throughout the set? And would such a small change really have any negative affect on playability?

I hope to get some good help here-am seriously thinking about this and I know I can trust you guys!!! Thanks in advance!!!

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Adding loft= increase bounce
Subtracting loft= decrease bounce

i read somewhere that for every degree of loft changed will affect bounce by one degrees.

so you weaken it to 47* from 46 lets say, the bounce is 9 instead of 8

limpalong

Mental Ward Escapee
Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2006
I forgot!
Country
United States United States
Clugnut is correct. As you go weaker in loft... add loft... your going from 47 degrees to 48 degrees will ADD bounce. To strengthen loft... subtract loft... conversly going from 48 to 47 would reduce bounce.

The effect of 1 degree loft should be minimal. The effect of 1 degree bounce should be minimal. The third thing you will change is offset. I really think you would notice this more than anything. The loft and bounce are playability issues and, unless you are a low single digit cap, I just don't see how you will tell the 1 degree weaker loft. You could see less offset. As you "lay the blade down"... weaken the loft... you, theoretically, push the leading edge forward. Depending on the design of the leading edge of your irons, you could notice the slight onset this would add.

The only change the 1 degree more bounce will make is if you play on hardpan. The added bounce could make it a little more difficult to pick a ball off a tight, hardpan lie.

OP
BigJim13

BigJim13

Staff member
Aug 13, 2006
Would 1º difference in loft even be noticeable?

YEah, after I posted I got to thinking that same thing. I may go 2*, that way I have a 48* PW on down thru the set.

The other issue is that I don't know anyone in the area that can bend clubs...gotta love VT baby..

natex14

Oct 6, 2008
From personal experience here, I don't carry a 60 degree, I tried this once, taking a 56 with 8 degree of bounce and changing it to a 58, so it then had 10 degree of bounce. I liked it so much that I continue to do it today. I know you can buy a 58, but I tried the 58, and I just like the bent one better.

I didn't really notice the two more degrees of bounce, I can still hit it off of hardpan with no problem.

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
YEah, after I posted I got to thinking that same thing. I may go 2*, that way I have a 48* PW on down thru the set.

The other issue is that I don't know anyone in the area that can bend clubs...gotta love VT baby..
The data analyst in me would tell you to just make sure you are thinking it through and make sure you are doing the math with the yardages and not the lofts. Also look at the whole picture. Figure loft accounts for about 80% of the distance gap, shaft length 20%. So if you have a 10-12 yard gap on your irons, each degree would roughly equate to about 3 yards assuming you have a 3* gap on your irons.

Also though take in to account that many people may hit their wedges different distances than their irons when they are of a different variety. So I personally would likely figure what your distance gap between your 9i and 54* wedge is, then assuming you want to equally fill that gap, add about 3 yards (again, if it is a 3* gap) per degree to your current PW distance to see what you need.

Don't forget that if you get into more than a couple degrees, you could also consider bending the 54* to say 53*. Or take into account that the better move could even be to bend your 54* wedge. Just realize if you bend the 54* to 53*, this would lessen the bounce and if that is your primary sand club, less bounce may be good or bad for your sand game depending on the conditions. May be a thought to consider as well. If you have maybe harder sand and seem to have to much bounce, then maybe that would be the logical club to bend.

Again, when going from your iron set to the distance gaps on your different style wedge set, I would evaluate it in distance and not degree. For example, I have a 47* PW (MP-60), 52* (Ping Tour), 56* (Ping Tour). So loft logic would tell you that there is a bigger gap between my 52* and 47*. Distance logic tells me I hit my 47* about 115 yards, my 52* about 105-110 and my 56* about 90-95. If I were to bend anything, it would be to bend my 52* Closer to my 56* to even the gap, giving me about a 6* gap between my PW and GW, and a 3* gap between my GW and SW. Just how the clubs play.

🔥 Latest posts