• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Loft gaps?

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Im trying to smooth out the gaps in loft in my bag. Here is my lineup right now.

Driver 10.5 or 9.5

3w 15

3h 20
4h 24

5i 25
6i 28
7i 32
8i 36
9i 40
pw 44

gw 52
sw 56
lw 60

The biggest difference is from the pw to gap. I really want to maximize all of the clubs for the most coverage in distance. Right now it almost seems as if I use the gap wedge only for bump and run around the green.

Also the gap from 4h to 5i doesn't make sense to have both of them.

Any suggestions?

Hmbre97

Jan 10, 2008
My PW is 45 so had the same gap you did. I wound up bending my 52 to 49 and picked up the 54 in my sig to even up the gaps.

Augster

Rules Nerd
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2005
???

Wow are those some messed up lofts. All in the desire to say, "I hit my PW 145 yards." Uh, it's actually a 9-iron.

A "standard" PW, the new standard at least, is 48*. Thus necessitating a "GAP WEDGE" (an artificially created gap by the OEM's) of around 52* which USED to be the PW.

So it looks like you need a PW.

Having your distances gaps correct inside 150 is WAY more important than outside 150. 4* gaps will usually do that for you. Thus:

60* LW
56*SW
52* GW
48* PW
44* 9I

Usually +/- 1* or so.

I would say pick up a PW and curse TM for not selling you one to match your set.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yep, my 5 iron was 30*, had it bent to 28 and all others djusted as well, but still one club weaker than yours.

chemboy2

M634
Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2004
I wouldn't be concerned about the 4h to 5i gap. My guess is that you hit the hybrid a good deal further than the iron. So, even though they're only a degree apart on paper, reality is that your distances are covered.

The other end of the bag is a different story though. You don't have a gap but rather a gaping hole! You could do some bending to the wedges to get things spaced a bit better but that would affect the bounce and, thus, playability of the wedges. Your options are to learn to live with it or go find a 48-50* gap wedge (TM does sell an Approach Wedge for this set).

As for what to take out to fit the AW, it's time to have a honest talk with yourself about the 60* wedge.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Time for new irons and wedges or new hybrid/fwy's and wedges.
icon10.gif

OP
JArmour

JArmour

Go VOLS!
Jan 2, 2008
Your options are to learn to live with it or go find a 48-50* gap wedge (TM does sell an Approach Wedge for this set).

As for what to take out to fit the AW, it's time to have a honest talk with yourself about the 60* wedge.

I really would rather stay away from the TM AW. I hit the mizuno line of wedges and irons and really love the feel. With the swing changes and lessons I've had this winter I feel I can play the mizzuno irons this year.

Having said that I read all of the threads on the lob wedge and I agree with both sides. I started playing golf 2 and 1/2 years ago. The first real brand name club I got was a TM rac satin 60*. My g/f got it for a bday present, she didn't know what to get and neither did I. I didn't have any wedges so I just asked for one.

I have actually become quite comfortable with it. I use it around the green to get over trouble, and anything from about 30-40yds out. Im sure with practice I could replace the 60 with my 56 and just open it up but, Im sure it will take time to get that comfort level up. Unfortunatly I do think you are right unless I get a new set of irons, Im going to have to drop the 60 or just live with it. My other clubs are necessary with my distance gaps.

This is why I love this game. :faintthud

edit: Having read Auguster's post more carefully I guess I could just drop the TM 9-iron + and get a real lofted PW.

zaphod

Jan 30, 2007
I have learned to play my 60* wedge out of the sand and dropped my SW.

In your case I would do the same and add a 48* wedge. The gap between the 52* and 60* wedge is not important to me as I hit 1/3 to 3/4 wedge shots for distance control with an occasional full wedge.

Just another idea

twofast2s

Dec 30, 2006
Im trying to smooth out the gaps in loft in my bag. Here is my lineup right now.

Driver 10.5 or 9.5

3w 15

3h 20
4h 24

5i 25
6i 28
7i 32
8i 36
9i 40
pw 44

gw 52
sw 56
lw 60

The biggest difference is from the pw to gap. I really want to maximize all of the clubs for the most coverage in distance. Right now it almost seems as if I use the gap wedge only for bump and run around the green.

Also the gap from 4h to 5i doesn't make sense to have both of them.

Any suggestions?

wow.. talk about strong lofts. your PW has stronger loft than my 9i.
how far do you usually hit your GW and PW? if you hit your PW 140yds and your GW 100, you might consider getting something in between, but if you hit your PW about 110 and GW 100, i'll leave it alone.

🔥 Latest posts