• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Loft / Lie Adjustment methodology

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
I figured I'd get my irons checked and possibly tweaked. I spoke to my club maker and he suggested putting a strip of electrical tape on the sole of all my irons and hitting shots. He will be able to tell from the wear marks how much adjusting needs to be done. That makes sense, right?

Here's my question. Can he make a call from one club or does he need to see each each club in the set to tweak accordingly?

Say I swing my 6 iron and it turns out my swing dictates that my clubs should be standard loft and lie. Is there not a chart / set of numbers he uses with the loft / lie adjustor that will correlate throughout the set? Or is it more black magic in that he tweaks each club according to the marks.

I'm sure someone has asked this before. So please point me to the link. Thanks.

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Yes it makes sense, and yes, you need to check every club, particularly if they are forged.

Which is your favourite iron?

OP
IrishGolfer

IrishGolfer

Fac ut gaudeam
Supporting Member
Sep 1, 2004
Yes it makes sense, and yes, you need to check every club, particularly if they are forged.

Which is your favourite iron?

Cheers Dave

6 iron - 165.5 yards constant

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I never check for lie angle using sole tape anymore. Most people make adjustment in their hands, and no matter how much you bend the club they will mark it on the same spot.
I now use impact tape on the face and ball flight.
When you start getting consistent center contact and the proper ball flight you have the right lie angle. Much, much more consistent.

Irish

May 9, 2007
as a rule of thumb if someones miss is always a pull or slight hook to the left...would the lie be to upright or too flat??

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
Lie angles will generally tend to cause the ball to start on a certain line. Hooks and slices are not lie angle issues, they are swing issues.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
I see what you're saying, Lyle. But, if a club is too upright, won't the tendency be for the ball to head left of center (for a right handed player) and if too flat, right of center? Hook and slice may not be 100% accurate, but isn't that the correct direction?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
I see what you're saying, Lyle. But, if a club is too upright, won't the tendency be for the ball to head left of center (for a right handed player) and if too flat, right of center? Hook and slice may not be 100% accurate, but isn't that the correct direction?

Yes, that is correct, but it is not for the reasons many think. The heel or toe do not need to dig into the ground as many think. With lie angles that are off the face will not be square to the target regardless of if the club touches the ground or not. However to think that lie angle problems are causing ones hooks or slices is a recipe for disappointment.

MCDavis

The Plaid Duffer
Staff member
Oct 19, 2006
Sanford, NC
Country
United States United States
Yes, that is correct, but it is not for the reasons many think. The heel or toe do not need to dig into the ground as many think. With lie angles that are off the face will no the square to the target regardless of if the club touches the ground or not. However to think that lie angle problems are causing ones hooks or slices is a recipe for disappointment.

Don't worry...I know what causes my hooks (I rarely slice)...I suck!! :laugh:

Members online

No members online now.