• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Loft on my driver...too much?

Nate Adams

Aug 21, 2006
Hey Folks,

I've got a question regarding my driver. I'm a 13ish handicap and shoot in the low/mid 80s most of the time. I hit the ball fairly straight and have what I think is normal distance when hitting my irons.
My driver is another story.....I'm playing a new Taylor Made r7 with 10.5 degrees of loft. Even when I hit the club well, it seems I'm not hitting the ball very far and the ball's trajectory is very high. I'll admit, I do have a rather compact backswing and probably a low to moderate club-head speed at impact.
I got my current driver from my father-in-law (who works in a pro-shop) for a "steal" but now I'm starting to wonder if it might not be the stick for me.
Any ideas regarding this problem? Thanks in advance...

Nate

Pa Jayhawk

Nov 15, 2005
Country
United States United States
Really need more information. Do you know your swing speed? I am simply guessing this may go back to the shaft and not the loft without having further information. My experience with the TM drivers I have used is that the stock shafts have a high launch. What type of shaft is on the club? If you do not know your swing speed, how far do you hit your other clubs? Unless you have a Swing Speed in excess of maybe 105-110 mph, 10.5* should work O.K. On the other hand, a shaft with a lower launch may help. For example, I played a 9.5* TM Firesole with a stock shaft. I now hit a 10* G2 with the Aldila NV-65 Shaft which provides a much lower Launch than the TM. Not saying Alidila is the way to go, as many player hate them, but there are many others out there that may give you a lower launch angle.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Aye, what's the swing speed. I'm assuming it's the RE*AX so what tip does it have, what flex.

As said, if you swing 100+, that may be a problem, but it could be a collection of things. Personally I swing around 110, use an 8.5 Mid Tip Stiff Flex. I tried out the different tips and flexes and it just all worked the best.

OP
N

Nate Adams

Aug 21, 2006
Thanks guys.....

Sorry I don't have all the needed data.

The shaft is Re*Ax, mid-tip, "R" flex.

Not sure about swing speed.....I'm currently serving a sentence in Abilene, TX (USAF) and there is just one golf shot in town.....and I'm not sure of their computer capabilities. If I were to guess, I'd say slower as opposed to 100+ mph.

hope this helps......

Nate

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Well, it would make sense with that combo that it might go a little high. What is your average drive distance?

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If it's the original R7 or the 425 you can move the 10's or 12's up front for a lower ballflight.

Garrett

Sep 15, 2006
My swing speed is 109 and I play a 10*. I think the shaft is more important for swing speed. The loft is more important for swing angle. I used to hit a 8.5 degree Ping G5. Now with my 10* I am hitting the ball much further and higher!!

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Yeah, my combo was pretty much a happy medium with shaft and degree. The 8.5 is a bit low, but the medium tip makes up for it.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Your TM 10.5 driver most likely has a "true" loft of somewhere around 12.5*. Independent research on name brand drivers has shown that the loft stamped on the sole plate is usually 2* lower than the true loft. The reason, the "name brand" companies know that the average male golfer needs two things: 1) to have a higher launch angle in order to hit the ball better off the tee. 2) to look good having a "lower lofted" driver in the bag. So, TM, Calloway etc. stamp 9* on 11* drivers and then sluff it off to "manufacturing tolerances" in the fine print.

You are NOT hitting the same driver that the pros are .

FKA19

winter ho'in
May 21, 2006
Your TM 10.5 driver most likely has a "true" loft of somewhere around 12.5*. Independent research on name brand drivers has shown that the loft stamped on the sole plate is usually 2* lower than the true loft. The reason, the "name brand" companies know that the average male golfer needs two things: 1) to have a higher launch angle in order to hit the ball better off the tee. 2) to look good having a "lower lofted" driver in the bag. So, TM, Calloway etc. stamp 9* on 11* drivers and then sluff it off to "manufacturing tolerances" in the fine print.

You are NOT hitting the same driver that the pros are .
and where did you get this from ? please dont say its an assumption

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
Its absolutely 100% that pros get clubs that have finer tolerances and are checked carefully in the tour vans,and its entirely possible that some off the shelf clubs are out,sometimes by quite a bit.

OP
N

Nate Adams

Aug 21, 2006
Okay.....so where are we?

Do I reshaft the driver or E-Bay the thing and get another one?

If I did elect to put a new shaft on it, what should I be looking for?

Again, I'm 41...5' 10''.....195 pounds and I don't really hit the ball that far.

Another issure I've discovered is here in West Texas, the wind howls quite a bit. Hitting my drives high is putting my ball up in the wind allowing all sorts of bad things to happen.

Thanks for the input....

Nate

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
19handicap,

I can't find the exact article at the moment but will post it (or the link) when I do. It is not just an assumption on my part. I would be willing to bet that you could take your driver to a reputable club maker to be checked and it's loft will be higher than what is stamped on the sole plate.

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Nate, what r7 is it? I'd say keep it, because a lower loft with a lesser swing speed in going to cost you distance regardless, so no point in getting a lower lofted just for the wind.

Also, I'd say the best route is just reshaft it to something you like, make a regular flex but is a bit stiffer(i.e. Aldila).

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
How do you have the weights set? Get the heavier weights up front to get a lower lauch angle that's what there their for. If you have already tried this then go down the reshafting line, look for something with a mid to high kick point, Aldila NV or Grafalloy NT give them a try for a start. Probably favor the Aldila if you have a slower smooth swing.

🔥 Latest posts