• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Loft On Your Irons

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
I just finished Wishon's recent book on club fitting and he states that there has been significant loft creep in irons.

Taking that as a starting point, I did some research that indicates that my CPR iron set goes from a 5 at 28* to a PW at 48*. What do you all play for iron loft. :)

emc

What would the Joker do?
Feb 4, 2006
4 iron is 24*, and PW is 47*. Therefore I have a 50* wedge

dave.

Mar 20, 2005
By creep he must mean stronger,and he is right.Cally shovel wedges are ridiculous,like 45degreees or something,mine is a 50 which I bent to 49,which is perfect.

The manufacturers do it to flatter the average player,who suddenly thinks they hit the ball as far as tour pros when one on the range flies for miles.Except on a course it would be in the trees because lower lofts impact more sidespin,which they omit to tell the average golfer.

caveman

just a chip and a putt
Oct 26, 2005
Just look at the TM R7XD the PW is 44*. I play Wishon 550's and the loft are sometimes 1 1/2 clubs weaker takes some getting used to.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
Just look at the TM R7XD the PW is 44*. I play Wishon 550's and the loft are sometimes 1 1/2 clubs weaker takes some getting used to.

I have the 550s also but the funny thing is that after having them custom built for me, MOI matched and all that jazz, they are actually about a club longer than the Titleist irons I used to play. The Titleists were 2* stronger (PW was 46*) than the Wishons. There is a lot to be said for playing the right shaft in your irons too. The TM PW loft you have quoted above is the same as the 550 9 iron.

OP
Bubble Head

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
So why does the shaft make much difference in iron distance hit? Graphite lets you swing faster. Other than that, what is the effect?

Sandpiper3

Golf Course Designer
Aug 9, 2006
It all has to do with the right flex through the ball, the kick of the shaft letting you load it properly and stuff like that. But when you get fit, you can also get it done for how you like it to feel, then it all fits and you can just smooth a ball out there longer then you used to muscle it.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.