• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Long Day of Practice

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
United States United States
Every now and then, I like to spend my day off putting in some serious work on my game rather than playing a round, today was one of those days. Here is my schedule that I followed today.

Got to the range at about 10 am and hit a few to loosen up and get the blood moving. I then went through a bucket (100) of balls with just my wedges, working on different trajectories and flight. Then headed over to the short game area where I spent three hours working on chips and pitches ranging from the fringe to fifty yards out. Then back to the range for a bucket of short irons (7, 8, 9) again working on shot shape and trajectory.

Took a quick break for some food and then hit the putting green for a couple of hours. Spent a lot of time using the two tee drill, spacing them out just a hair wider than my putter head and making sure that I came back to the ball squarely . I finished putting with the circle drill that Mickelson does, I got to 77 the first time and 67 the second before making all 100 in a row. I also did the ladder drill to work on distance control from longer distances.

Went back to the range for a bucket of long irons (3,4,5 & 6) working on the same as with the other irons. After that I spent about an hour in the bunker working on greenside explosions and 40-50 yard shots. Then hit a bucket of woods. Finished up with another hour on the short game area and putting green.

All in all, it was a very productive day of practice, about 10 hours of work on my game, lots of good things came out of it and am striking the ball better than at any other point this season.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
That is a long day. Unfortunately there is no where I can do all that around me. Not that I'd have the patience for that much practicing anyway. You are to commended on your commitment.
icon14.gif

OP
BStone

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
I am lucky that I really enjoy practicing, almost as much as playing. I used to do this type of routine twice a week when I was in college, shot my lowest scores back then. I don't think I could do this as often as guys like Vijay and Tiger do it.

Sean

Worm Burner
Aug 24, 2006
If that's what you have to do to be good, I'll stay mediocre... :D

Amen!

Though I did just get a year membership at the local driving range. I'll take my two or three hour long sessions a week and call it 'strenuous practice' and crack a Guinness and catch the Sox game...;)

Scotty01292

Mmmmmmmm..... Cake.......
Oct 16, 2005
I did something along the lines of that during the easter holidays, practicing for 8 hours in a day, hittin about 400 balls and putting, chipping, pitching & playing bunker shots for ages as well. Went out the next day and shot a 74... Wish I had time to practice like that every week.

Fastback

Nov 13, 2006
wow, pretty full on.. i feel almost inspired to try out a similar regimen.. i've got a couple weeks off coming up.. hmm

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
If I tried that my back would explode and my brain would melt. I'm good for about two hours max.

niblick

Jun 13, 2007
i would kill for the time to practice like that. I try to get an hour per day in, whether it's hitting pitches and chips in the back yard, or putting or hitting balls at the range. sometimes i'll get a 2 hour session in at the range on weekends, but that's rare. if i've got more than two hours free, i'm gonna play!

OP
BStone

BStone

PGA Class A Professional
Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2006
Country
i would kill for the time to practice like that. I try to get an hour per day in, whether it's hitting pitches and chips in the back yard, or putting or hitting balls at the range. sometimes i'll get a 2 hour session in at the range on weekends, but that's rare. if i've got more than two hours free, i'm gonna play!

Well, I work six days a week at my course, so I figure that I can take my one day a week and do what I want with it.

Jun 24, 2006
Well, I work six days a week at my course, so I figure that I can take my one day a week and do what I want with it.

I work seven days a week at my course. The good thing is that I start at 2 so i have the entire morning to practise and or play..once school is out...only 2 more exams!..YEEHA!

Irish

May 9, 2007
Tmag I commend you dedication that is something I would love to have...

In my opinion pratice is generally more productive than playing around but my course just doesn't have the facilities in terms of a range of chipping....we just have a putting green

I think it would be a great idea if we had a section here on how to optimise your practice time and an example of some exercises to do when practicing..

I certainly do not organise my practice routine very well and don't really know enough drills on the putting greens etc to optimise my game...

here's a link to some useful exercises that I found but haven't really had the time to use

http://www.golfvic.org.au/dir127/vga.../pages/playdev

Fourputt

Littleton, Colorado
Sep 5, 2006
If that's what you have to do to be good, I'll stay mediocre... :D

Yup.... I simply get bored spending that much time on the range etc. instead of on the course. I can practice the short game shots for an hour or 2, especially if I can get the chipping area to myself (I hate having to deal with 2 or 3 other guys on the chipping green), but the driving range just puts me to sleep. I can work through a large basket (about 50 balls) if I have one specific thing to focus on, but after that I'm ready to go play, regardless of the result. I play for fun, and being on the course is where I find the fun in the game.:)

I've had my handicap index as low as 9.4 without practicing more than that, and it's been dropping all season this year, from 14.7 down to a current level of 12.8. I'm happy to be a better than average golfer and let it go at that. :thumbs up:

And at 60, my back isn't going to like me if I do much more than that, anyway.

Bravo

Aug 27, 2004
wow that's a ton of work...I am just a weekend hacker and the most I can do between rounds is about two hours. I follow a routine like yours though with focusing on short irons for awhile and then short game and then long irons.

I do not practice with my driver as I find that if I can hit my 4 iron, I can hit my driver just fine.

Great routine of yours....

🔥 Latest posts