• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Long Drivers

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
Why are some drivers longer than others for virtually everyone? In this day and age, you would think that all drivers would have a COR at the ragged edge of the limit. Better drivers would have a higher COR across more of the face, but other than that, why the difference?

Depending on other features, launch angle and spin will differ. But that would vary golfer to golfer. Why are some longer for everyone?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
None are.

Why? It depends on what fits you. Get your backspin, launch angle, sidespin, and whatnot straight, and that driver should be the longest for you. A lot of this is shaft as well.

To counteract my previous statement, if you do find something where you are getting all similar stats, and one is longer than the other...well...thats just crazy. I believe it though.

Eracer

No more triple bogies!!
Oct 31, 2005
I think that some drivers have less distance deviation due to greater forgiveness. More golfers can mishit the driver and still get good distance. So it seems longer.

OP
Bubble Head

Bubble Head

Oct 14, 2006
So no driver is always longer than another for all golfers, right?

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
That's correct. Assuming a .830 COR and all other things being equal (though this is a LONG list...), no driver is longer than another on center-face contact.

ManchesterGolfer

AKA.... Obi-Wan Ho-Nobi
Jan 4, 2006
So why do quite a few people find the FT5 longer than the FTi even when they have the same bias, loft and shaft?

LyleG

gear head
Aug 10, 2006
Country
Canada Canada
So why do quite a few people find the FT5 longer than the FTi even when they have the same bias, loft and shaft?

Most people with high swing speeds will hit drivers with higher COG's further because they will get less spin and a better ball flight. For 80-90mph swingers I would bet the Ft-i is the longer of the two clubs. Its all about optimizing your club to your swing. Nothing at all magical about it.

🔥 Latest posts