• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Long Drives are Over Rated

SilverUberXeno

El Tigre Blanco
Jul 26, 2005
One thing in golf I hate is the hadicap system. Yes I keep one and so do by buddies, but when we play, we don't use them. To us, a shot is a shot. If you play baskeball with your friends is a free throw worth 2 points or is a 3 pointer worth 4 if you are not as good as the others you are playing with?

This is the second post I've read of yours, of two, in the last couple days that really is a GREAT point. I don't care for the handicap system in golf either. If someone is substantially worse, or better, than I am, I'll just play for a personal best score.

HOWEVER, in basketball, one team will "spot" the other team x points if there is a discrepancy in talent or ability. In either case, the handicap system does make the game competitive. Perspective must be kept, though. If you're giving a guy 8 strokes, and he "beats" you by 2 shots (meaning you were only ahead by 6), he won the contest, but he is NOT the better player.

Sometimes it's actually fun to give someone strokes, too. You'll REALLY focus.

shep3470

Apr 5, 2009
Omaha, NE
This is the second post I've read of yours, of two, in the last couple days that really is a GREAT point. I don't care for the handicap system in golf either. If someone is substantially worse, or better, than I am, I'll just play for a personal best score.

HOWEVER, in basketball, one team will "spot" the other team x points if there is a discrepancy in talent or ability. In either case, the handicap system does make the game competitive. Perspective must be kept, though. If you're giving a guy 8 strokes, and he "beats" you by 2 shots (meaning you were only ahead by 6), he won the contest, but he is NOT the better player.

Sometimes it's actually fun to give someone strokes, too. You'll REALLY focus.

Yeah, I never thought about "spoting" points. But let's take two different "amature" events.
1. Men's golf league at the course I play-All scores are based on handicaps. They play for clubhouse gift certificates and occasionally a club of some sort. That guy I gave 8 strokes to "beats" me by 2. Even though I shot a better score he walks away with the prize.
2. High school, or college, basketball or even football. In college the great teams schedule lower level teams to pad their record and allow small team schools the chance to play a top tier program. But they get no points "spotted" to them.

Again it's just my opinion and I am sure someone will say "if you don't like it then don't play in them."

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I very rarely will play in net events. I am playing as the 61 seed in our club match play championship. I am playing to about a 6 handicap at the moment and the number 4 seed is about a 2 and I am not getting diddly squat. I wouldn't really be much of a champion if I won by net would I?

Oh and to be on topic, longer is better if you still have a good short game. Being long off the tee and having a good short game are not mutually exclusive of one another.

DaveLeeNC

Sep 2, 2005
One thing in golf I hate is the hadicap system. Yes I keep one and so do by buddies, but when we play, we don't use them. To us, a shot is a shot. If you play baskeball with your friends is a free throw worth 2 points or is a 3 pointer worth 4 if you are not as good as the others you are playing with?

To me the nature of the game where you can be 'on the same court' with anyone is one of the things that makes golf special (I could play a round of golf with Tiger - no way could either Rafa or me enjoy being on the same tennis court together). The handicap system (to me) is a nice supplement to this allowing a fun competition between disparate skills. My current index is around 5 but can play a competitive round with my 20some handicap friends.

dave

DaveLeeNC

Sep 2, 2005
A question was asked earlier about the impact of higher SS's on accuracy. I plugged the following into Trajectoware (a freeware golf trajectory analysis program). I used a level angle of attack, 10.5* dynamic loft, and a clubface that was 2* closed.

For a 95 mph SS (208 yards carry) - the ball landed 20 yards off-center.

For a 115 mph SS (275 yards carry) - the ball landed 35 yards off-center

dave

ps. Note that

fisher

Nov 16, 2008
I only keep a handicap for one reason......As a measure of my performance on the course. I log my scores so I can see my progress.....and lately my lack of progress. That's it. I use the GHIN handicap system and they have good charting so you can see your progress. I won't play events that factor in handicaps as it just doesn't interest me. Sorry, but a guy who shoots 90 isn't going to beat me when I shoot 80....what is that???? Its just stupid to me. All that matters to me is strait up scores even if it means I lose.

gwlee7

Ho's from Rocky Mount, NC
Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2005
I only keep a handicap for one reason......As a measure of my performance on the course. I log my scores so I can see my progress.....and lately my lack of progress. That's it. I use the GHIN handicap system and they have good charting so you can see your progress. I won't play events that factor in handicaps as it just doesn't interest me. Sorry, but a guy who shoots 90 isn't going to beat me when I shoot 80....what is that???? Its just stupid to me. All that matters to me is strait up scores even if it means I lose.

I understand this completely. I was playing in a group for a while that plays "points" where you get so many for eagle, birdie, par, or bogey. It's loosely based on Stableford. Anyway, I would constantly shoot lower scores than most of these guys but lose because I didn't come in "plus" on my points. Problem was, I was averaging shooting around 76 so I had to get 32 points (based on 36 points for a par 72 course) where some of these guys were only having to get as few as 17 or 18. I got tired of playing better than them and just giving my money away.

I would rather play a better golfer if we are betting or, Pick teams of A, B, C, D players and then play team against team.

TheTrueReview

"Playing it straight"
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2009
Country
Australia Australia
Fortunately / unfortunately, handicapping is an integral part of golf. Always has been, always will be.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.