• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking at drivers...

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Apr 6, 2008
Dont know why- just have the urge...

I currently play the burner, and i hit it pretty good, the only thiong i dont lik eabout it is the lightweight. I feel like it throws off my tempo.. and i get so much spin out of this driver its crazy.. i havent been on a monitor, but i can see a pitch mark and my ball not too far off from it most of the time especially in wet conditions..

I was wondering if anyone can throw out some recomendations for me to try out...

I was thinking of trying the tour burner, l4v, ft5.

I hear that with the l4v i will have to chnage the shaft immediatley becasue the stock is way too spinney.

the tour burner im wondering if it will be too light like the burner - i had an ft5 with an epic shaft, but it played way too stiff for me and turned out to be no good for me.. so im wondering if the stock shaft will be good...

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Hit every driver you can, choose from there.

Or just go Callaway and know you'll be rockin.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
I'm with you on the lightweight drivers. I don't hit any of the new drivers well. I've had a bunch out for demos and don't like any. I'd suggest hitting a few with heavier shafts, more "tour" like swingweights. Hit a D2 with a V2 or VS, a BurnerTP or even just a Superquad with the 65g shaft and maybe a Callaway FTi with a 686. Those should have better feel weightwise. A lot of it is in the shaft. Driver heads themselves are not much different at all. If you like the Burner head, you might find putting a different shaft in it is all it needs. My driver shaft weighs about 77g's. The head is not very forgiving but that's not really an issue. I hit the thing off the center of the face very consistantly because it's just a very good feel for me weightwise. The shaft also has a higher bendpoint and a stiff tip, making it even better for my swing and results are a mid/high launch with lower spin. I'm getting about as much as is possible with my swingspeed distance wise out of it.

OP
bunkerbound

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Apr 6, 2008
I actually boght a new shaft for my burner, just havent gotten it installed yet- becasue i was unsure of keeping the club, i bought the graphite design pershing in a 65 gram.. not sure how this will play, also its the wrong tip size and the club maker said he will need to shim it- dont know if this will effect performance or not...

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
Shimming it won't effect anything. I'd say talk to the clubmaker about what you are trying to accomplish. I'm sure he could set that Burner up to better fit your swing or recommend a different head (loft)/shaft combo.

If that shaft gets installed a like 44.75" playing length it's going to be a whole different driver. I don't like the way things have gone with drivers. They are all superlong shafts and superlight. I've seen a lot of guys hit them better but in every single case that guy was hitting weak fades to begin with.

I look at this way. Manufacturers are simply making clubs to perform for the players who are paying for new drivers at the shop. Those players are mostly the older guys. Buy the one they traded in off the used rack, lol.

OP
bunkerbound

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Apr 6, 2008
maybe i should try this pershing out- i was hoping to find something off the rack and hope if ind a god combo... but you are probably right..

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
If you get a chance. Try the Ping G10. If you had an Epic that was too stiff in an S, try the G10 with the Prolaunch Red R flex. I liked the feel of the PL Red S flex in that club. It's a 65g but felt heavier to me. Smooth club.

OP
bunkerbound

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Apr 6, 2008
I actually had the epic in a regular but it was tipped 2 inches i believe.. and i wasnt swinging my best at the time either had a very bad reverse pivot...

I had the g10 with the ping tfc shaft in r flex and couldnt hit anything but HIGH fades with it. and I mean high...

I could probably go with a stiff now- my swing speed is around 95-98mph - but i get a mental block on stiff.. dont know why.. i was hittinga cobra speed ld 10. 5 in stiff yesterday, ballflight was exatxly the same as my burner, just felt like it had a little more heft to it..

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
I actually had the epic in a regular but it was tipped 2 inches i believe.. and i wasnt swinging my best at the time either had a very bad reverse pivot...

I had the g10 with the ping tfc shaft in r flex and couldnt hit anything but HIGH fades with it. and I mean high...

I could probably go with a stiff now- my swing speed is around 95-98mph - but i get a mental block on stiff.. dont know why.. i was hittinga cobra speed ld 10. 5 in stiff yesterday, ballflight was exatxly the same as my burner, just felt like it had a little more heft to it..
the stock burner are supposed to have a very high ball flight, just the way they were made....have one question though...and that is...are you hitting the fairways? if so u might not wanna piss off the golf gods whom which make this possible....and u should have a stiff shaft at least with a high kickpoint...thatll get the ball a bit lower....but with the center of gravity as it is in the burner dont expect big rollouts cause it just might not be in the cards..and i have another question...even though u r not rolling out much...do u think that u may be flying the ball further though...and might a lower angle possibly make u lose yards if u arent flying as far?

OP
bunkerbound

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Apr 6, 2008
havent hit a fairway since my last glf lesson- i got rid of the reverse pivot and gained some serious yardage/power but a big loss of accuracy... i figured taht would happen.

i was thinking the same thing about the carry- this is why i want to try other things... maybe a stuff flex is the way to go? im really nervous about losing yardage...

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
havent hit a fairway since my last glf lesson- i got rid of the reverse pivot and gained some serious yardage/power but a big loss of accuracy... i figured taht would happen.

i was thinking the same thing about the carry- this is why i want to try other things... maybe a stuff flex is the way to go? im really nervous about losing yardage...
nah dude 10 yards is over rated...i played with a plus 2 handicapp tonight im a minus 9 and he hit a low low ball and it rolled out to like 310...and i was like dude how do u do that...and he said it was the shaft...he played an extra stiff high kickpoint...says he cant get the thing to backspin at all..and thats what cause the "balloon" ballflight..and with a stiff flex i find that u do lose some yardage just because a regular flex has so much whip when it recoils it just demolishes the ball...but totally not worth spraying it all over the place

OP
bunkerbound

bunkerbound

Can't Putt
Apr 6, 2008
So i should go stiff is what your saying....

not sure what to do..

millrivermem

Aug 12, 2008
So i should go stiff is what your saying....

not sure what to do..
well man...my driving is fair at the best of times...if in the fairway i average about 275...i had a burner myself...with the stiff stock shaft and only used it for two months cause of the same issue you are having...but i never frigged with it any..but i could not miss the fairway with it, so in that sense i kinda miss it...cause now i have a superquad...i do hit it further then i did the burner....but i regained the prestigous ability of hitting it in the woods..you really should have a fitting session though...they would tell u everything u wanted to hear...i had my irons custom made, and the fella put xx stiff in em...i guess for control or what have you i dont know...but i never would of assumed or felt like i needed something that stiff...

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006
Go out to a range that will have demo, most local golf courses do. Try out whatever you can. If that's not an option, go to a golf store with a launch monitor.

I absolutely love my FT-i and I met a guy who hated it. I hate the HiBore series, and lots of people love them. My point? All of us don't have a diddly piddly idea what really will work best for you beyond core information.

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.