• Welcome To ShotTalk.com!

We are one of the oldest and largest Golf forums on the internet with golfers from around the world sharing tips, photos and planning golf outings.

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Looking for a New Shaft for Driver...Which One?

btdickey99

Aug 3, 2008
Burlington, NC
Country
United States United States
Ok I am currently playing a TaylorMade 460 Draw 9.0*. It has the stock shaft on it which is, TM 55 RE AX Flex S, tip soft (co engineered by mitsubishi rayon).

I hit the driver great and the trajectory of flight is right where I need it.

The problem I run into with the driver is my normal SS averages about 105-108. If I take my normal swing on this driver it will always push out to the right, with a slight fade to it(sometimes slice), which I never do and actually play a natural draw. To hit this driver straight i have to take so much off of my swing, probly to a 80-90 SS(hitting it about 250 on the fly)

So what I am looking for is a shaft that fits my normal swing, maybe @ 100-105 mph SS. I am not looking for anything extravagant, just a solid shaft, possibly around $50 if avaialable.

Thanks for the help

Adam Pettman

Nov 3, 2005
You manage to hit a slice with a draw weighted driver. Might be something to do with the indian not the arrow.

MIKE1218

Top Bloke
Dec 21, 2006
80-90mph will never hit 250 on the fly. 105mph will though. I swing 105-110 and carry 260-265.

If you really play a natural draw, then that clubhead is probably not what you are looking for.

Also, to recommend a shaft we will require more information about your swing. Transition, release point, etc.

ezra76

Feb 5, 2006
What driver/shaft combo's did you "always hit a draw" with? Convention says if you block it, it's too stiff a shaft.

OP
btdickey99

btdickey99

Aug 3, 2008
Burlington, NC
Country
You manage to hit a slice with a draw weighted driver. Might be something to do with the indian not the arrow.
yes it is quite wierd.... I dont think it is my swing however being that every other club in my bag is hit with a slight draw.

What driver/shaft combo's did you "always hit a draw" with? Convention says if you block it, it's too stiff a shaft.
Not sure off the top of my head, but every club in my bag, as well as any other club I have hit(sorry that I cant remember the exact shafts in the clubs)

Many people block shafts that are too soft as the face lags opens. Me being one of them.

seems to be my problem.... I can control it when I am barely swinging which I like, but when I have stepped down 30 yards from where I normally would hit it, I have to think it is the shaft....

ofcourse I could be wrong

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
Many people block shafts that are too soft as the face lags opens. Me being one of them.

Count me in the same group. This is my entire hatred for the Aldila NV in a nutshell.

BT,

Try choking down on your driver (a la, Anthony Kim -
style). See if that helps your accuracy and report back.

R35

Rockford35

Shark skin shoes
Staff member
Admin
Aug 30, 2004
Canada
Country
Canada Canada
from the sounds of it stock shaft is best? :laugh:

No, that may not be the case. But, there's alot more variables that need to be explored before walking away from it.

Many guys play drivers that are too long. Choking up will give you better control with little loss in distance.

This is the goal, right? More fairways at 250 is better than 1 of 15 at 275.

R35

Victory

Nov 18, 2007
UST PRO FORCE GOLD 65 "work horse" stiff flex, and make her to play 45'' length.. best option under $50..

OP
btdickey99

btdickey99

Aug 3, 2008
Burlington, NC
Country
No, that may not be the case. But, there's alot more variables that need to be explored before walking away from it.

Many guys play drivers that are too long. Choking up will give you better control with little loss in distance.

This is the goal, right? More fairways at 250 is better than 1 of 15 at 275.

R35

Very True and I may make a trip to my local Golf Galaxy for some fitting

UST PRO FORCE GOLD 65 "work horse" stiff flex, and make her to play 45'' length.. best option under $50..
very nice choice....my father played this shaft years ago.... this the one you are tlaking about? http://cgi.ebay.com/UST-Proforce-65-ATR-Gold-Wood-Shaft-S-Flex-335_W0QQitemZ250263526197QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item250263526197&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

So it would be better for me to get Stiff Flex rather than X Stiff?

JEFF4i

She lives!
Supporting Member
Jul 3, 2006

Toss me in that wood pile too.

Honestly dude, I'll tell you what I tell everyone. Hit them all, try and find demos at local courses or golf shops that rent them out, and try everything. There are so many factors that go into your swing, much less the clubs influence, it can be a guessing game. Can be, being the operative phrase.

OP
btdickey99

btdickey99

Aug 3, 2008
Burlington, NC
Country
Toss me in that wood pile too.

Honestly dude, I'll tell you what I tell everyone. Hit them all, try and find demos at local courses or golf shops that rent them out, and try everything. There are so many factors that go into your swing, much less the clubs influence, it can be a guessing game. Can be, being the operative phrase.

thanks for the advice, and good luck to your Steelers tonight ;)

My Fins already pulled another big win out and I couldnt be happier:D

🔥 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.